Adding a new shipping method for UPS Mail Innovations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a new shipping method for UPS Mail Innovations

Currently I am using Viking's UPS custom integration module. This was the only shipping module I needed but now I need to add a new shipping method for UPS Mail Innovations. I need advice on the best way to go about this (I believe most likely I will need a new module).

This new shipping method is going to be a flat rate charge. There will be one charge for domestic and a different charge for international.

This new shipping method will be available to any baskets less than 1lb for domestic and less than 4lbs for international.

I need to exclude certain categories of products. So if a customer's basket has a product in their basket from these certain categories - this shipping method will not be available. (it would also be nice to be able to exclude some specific products too)

So if a person's basket qualifies for this new shipping method, I would like this shipping method to show up along with the shipping methods from my already installed Viking UPS custom integration module.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

Re: Adding a new shipping method for UPS Mail Innovations

This is slightly off topic, but I have a "Shipipng Manager" module, that allows a store to use two or more kinds of shipping in a single purchase. This, it seems to me, is a better approach than forcing customers to remove items from their basket because of this type of conflict. It's a "semi-custom" module that's in use by a couple of stores. If this is of interest, you can drop me a line by email to discuss the details.

Thanks --
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I was figuring that customers would not realize there was a cheaper shipping option if they kept their order to under 1lb. I am implementing this cheaper shipping option because a majority of our orders are under 1lb. So most orders will qualify for this cheaper shipping option. I had a lot of customers complaining that my cheapest shipping option was UPS ground when all they wanted was 1 small plastic widget that could fit in a padded envelope.

- -

I have looked through all the modules available on Miva Central and none of them will fill all my requirements. As of now my plan is to use the built in Miva Module "Weight Table Based Shipping". I am going to have two new shipping methods in this module, one for domestic and one for international. At checkout when I return the shipping options to the customer I will write code to remove one of the shipping options depending on what the shipping country is. I will also use a custom product field to flag items that are not qualified and remove the new shipping option.

Comment

How do you like UPS Mail Innovations? We're looking at the similar Fedex Smartpost product but have heard some horror stories of transit time once it gets into the post office system. Hearing some shipments taking 2 weeks to deliver. What's your experience?
        Jason Fancett
        America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
        Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
        Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

We have not stared using it yet to ship packages.

I have a good personal experience with it though. I order a lot online and I have received many packages using UPS Mail Innovations and I have not had a problem with a single one. Most of them come just as fast as UPS ground. I am located in a major city in the North East so that probably helps with speed.

When I search online about the program, I find hundreds of horror stories. A lot of them are older (2008 & 2009). I also believe that most people that receive their packages on time are not going online and writing about their 'good' experiences.

I plan to give the program a try. My products are not very expensive, so we can afford to replace 'lost' packages once in a while. If this program does turn out to be a customer service nightmare I would drop it in a heartbeat.

I plan to add UPSP delivery confirmation to each package ($0.19) extra per package. This way we can track packages all the way up to the customer's door step.

Comment

We are using UPS Mail Innovations, I'm wondering if any progress has been made since this post is a bit old. Any new modules, apps, etc?

Comment

Working...
            X