Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PR8 Import System Follows CSV Protocol - Works Different Than Legacy Import Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PR8 Import System Follows CSV Protocol - Works Different Than Legacy Import Module

There's a fundamental difference between how Legacy Import system treats CSV files and how the new PR8 system treats CSV files.

CSV is more than just a data set separated by commas, there's a protocol to follow (here's some basic info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values) to make sure that you can have comma's in your text for example or use quotation marks properly without having any issues with your data.

In previous versions of our Import process we did NOT follow the protocol properly and as many previous threads have discussed (usually in the context of Excel adding extra quotes or other unwanted characters) there were workarounds for using Excel and getting it to play nicely in our Legacy system.

In the new PR8 Import system we properly follow the specifications of the CSV Protocol. Most importantly:
    Fields that contain a special character (comma, newline, or double quote), must be enclosed in double quotes. If a line contains a single entry which is the empty string, it may be enclosed in double quotes. If a field's value contains a double quote character it is escaped by placing another double quote character next to it.
    So if in previous versions you were using Notepad or some other mechanism to strip out the "weird" quotes that Excel adds, etc... you'll find that your old workaround will cause issues if you use the new Import system (you can still keep using the Legacy Import Systems without issue).

However it should be as simple as opening the file with any issues into Excel (or similar) and Save As CSV, this will properly format the data into the CSV spec and should work without issues in our PR8 Import system.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Re: PR8 Import System Follows CSV Protocol - Works Different Than Legacy Import Modul

Rick,

I presume this does not apply to situations where the double quote character is achieved by using " ? I have clients that use inches as part of the product name and we have been utilizing " for years

e.g. Billy Bob Bow Draw Length 28"

Pete

Comment

Re: PR8 Import System Follows CSV Protocol - Works Different Than Legacy Import Modul

Pete,

I don't know the answer to that, whatever the CSV quote is supposed to do is what it should do.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]

Comment

What happened to the legacy flat file imports? Are they now no longer available? I had a new store set up by my host and I no longer have the + sign next to imports. Miva 5.5 PR8 update 7.

I am trying to import my image type photo assignments which I could do from the flat files. I have created an image type and manually assigned a couple of images to products but I wanted to assign all the rest by importing their image paths. I can not find my type in the lists of parameters to import.
        Thanks,
        Chet Vincentz
        [email protected]

www.electrodyne.cc Quality Motoring Accessories
        www.racdyn-usa.com BMW, MINI & Porsche performance
        www.artisticartifacts.com Creative art materials

Comment

You can do that via the new ones as well. However if you'd like the old ones installed, just contact support and they'll get them put in for you.
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]

Comment

I'm willing to use the new system if I can figure out how to do it. I created an image type = full (Full Size). I created a column in a spreadsheet with a column = full (filled it when locations of full images), converted to .csv dragged it onto the "Edit Settings" for Add/Update Products from CSV. It mapped everything out and indicated "full" along side the last box. When I use the pull down arrow to associate full with something there is no image type or such I can associate it with.

What have I done wrong or what do I do next?
            Thanks,
            Chet Vincentz
            [email protected]

Comment

You should see a field called
              image_type:_full
              if you named your image type full.
              Last edited by Rick Wilson; 11-11-12, 08:21 PM.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

I bet I know the problem, under the main Utilities screen you need to enable Product Image Custom Fields.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Rick,
                  Thanks! I knew I forgot something but couldn't find what. That was the answer.
                  Thanks,
                  Chet Vincentz
                  [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  X