Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IE problems with Add To Basket - is there a solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE problems with Add To Basket - is there a solution?

I've seen other threads that talk about some versions of IE not working well with Miva, and causing problems with Add to Basket and checkout functions. Some of my customers are having these problems too. Has Miva come up with a solution or workaround yet? I spent a half hour on the phone with support today, and came away with "Tell your customers to try a different browser" or "See if they can take a screenshot when it happens." Since it is by far the most popular browser, I would thing the company would devote whatever resources are needed to fix the issue. If there is a solution that I missed, can someone please point me to it? I'm really getting frustrated.

Thanks.

Dan

Re: IE problems with Add To Basket - is there a solution?

We've never been able to replicate the issue in house, so no we don't have a solution.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

What you are talking about is settings that the customer must change in their own browsers. This has been around and around. You can inform your customers of changes in the browser settings that they can do themselves in order to be able to checkout. I imagine there would be quite an outcry if websites were able to change a user's browser settings in order to help the customer checkout. Even if notified that a site was changing it and why, it could turn into a real privacy/ect issue. Plus, then many could just use the same events to hack/spam/hijack. So...not a good idea.

But, what it really boils down to is you need to blame the browser and not the application you are using for your store. If you go to Microsoft or IE support with the problem, you'll find no "fix" there either.

I do hear your frustration....when designing sites, most browsers play very well....but not IE. Until IE plays well, we all just have to deal with it and work around it however we can.

Hope this helps explain,

Jamie

Originally posted by dkat View Post
      Since it is by far the most popular browser, I would thing the company would devote whatever resources are needed to fix the issue. If there is a solution that I missed, can someone please point me to it? I'm really getting frustrated.
      Jamie Donaldson
      JSDVS Web Design / Development
      Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Comment

Thanks for your answer, Jamie.

I had looked through a lot of the other threads on this issue, and noted that there was not a consistent solution that worked for everyone. Even Rick says Miva was not able to replicate the issue.

To be honest, I do web stuff for a living, and would never shop at a site that asked me to change security settings to check out. I can't ask my less web-savvy customers to do that. And I agree, I would never want a site to be able to change my settings, with my permission or not.

The main question I still have is whether every e-commerce solution has the same issues when it comes to IE. I don't know the answer. If there are some that don't have the problems, that means there is something Miva might be able to do to make it play better with IE. Otherwise, I guess we just have to hope for the best that somehow it will all work out someday.

As for now, I'm putting a note on the site advising people who have problems with IE to try another browser.

Thanks.

Dan

Comment

...and would never shop at a site that asked me to change security settings to check out.
          I have to say that I have been a miva Merchant user since... what... 1999? I know I started back on Merchant 2.

I have never encountered that error. Which version of IE and which Operating System are they using?

What do their browser settings have to be to encounter that error?
          Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 11-05-11, 10:33 AM.
          Mark Romero
          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

First make sure you are using "Send Session IDs ALWAYS" (i think under domain or store settings). Most the the IE issues are caused by the way IE handles cookies (where session id is stored). Under strict security, IE will not even read a cookie that it has just accepted from a site (containing said session id) so when the customer tries to add another item to the basket...IE does not tell merchant who it is.

The other culprit is using different URLs to add to basket (or just on the site in general). You probably know this, but it doesn't hurt to double check that ALL urls use the exact same domain (and using &mvt:global:sessionurl: is a big help there).

www.mysite.com
            mysite.com
            mysite.shared.com

are not the same domains.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

@Siamese-Dream.Com - It's recent versions of IE, doesn't seem to matter which version of Windows.

@Bruce - I was wondering about Session IDs. I have them set to Always be transferred. I looked at the link for adding a product, and the link for checking the basket, and they contain the same Session ID, but the product still doesn't show up in the basket if the security settings are set to restrict cookies. Should the Session ID be bypassing that? If so, I wonder if there's something wrong with how my Session IDs are being passed. Any idea how I could troubleshoot that?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Comment

Dan,

Based on what you said above, it sounds like you can reproduce this at will?
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Rick,

That's right. Since I called tech support yesterday, and started this thread, I've done more testing. I can now stop the basket from adding products by setting privacy in IE8 to block all cookies. When I drop it down to medium security, everything works. That's with cleaning out the cache between attempts, as well as restarting IE. And having Session IDs passed Always.

Possibly related, and I had mentioned this to support yesterday, there are times where I log in, get the Welcome Back message on the next screen, but then at some point in the process Miva loses track of who I am, and the Log In message returns instead of the Welcome Back one. All on Miva pages, not going to static and back. Also, after having logged in, when I go to check out, I get taken to the Log In screen, even though I have the "Display Customer Login Before Checkout" box unchecked. Does it sound like these things could be related? This happens on non-IE browsers, btw. Mac-based Safari and Chrome.

Thanks.

Dan

Comment

Bruce, question. If session should be set at "always" all the time, what are the other 2 settings for? I ask this out of curiosity as to then why are there other settings there. I believe out of the box it is set at "when transitioning", so I ask the powers to be, why then have options?
                    Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
                    Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

If session should be set at "always" all the time, what are the other 2 settings for?
                      Would like to second that question. Are there drawbacks to having it set as "Send Session IDs ALWAYS" ???

(I ask because the other day I placed a test order, and after the invoice page, I was still logged in. Then I tried to order another item, but after I added it to basket and tried to checkout, it kept telling me that my basket was empty. It looked like the session ID kept changing.)
                      Mark Romero
                      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

We have the options because most people don't want the Session ID's in their URL and they're not necessary when a site is configured properly.
                        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                        CEO
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                          Dan,

We have the options because most people don't want the Session ID's in their URL and they're not necessary when a site is configured properly.
                          So you would recommend setting it to "never then" Rick? Both my sites were set at "When Transitioning".. yet when i saw Bruce say it should be set at "Always" I switched them to that..

So to clear up confusion, what should we have it set to?

Thanks Rick
                          Dan

Comment

Dan,

I would normally say leave it on the Default, which is When Transitioning, unless you're having issues.
                            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                            CEO
                            Miva, Inc.
                            [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Rick... No issues that im aware of. It was just thinking maybe IE people were having possible problems.. Ill switch them back then if that's the best option.
                              Last edited by Datagg; 11-07-11, 10:39 AM.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X