Credit Card Fraud - Where to report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Fraud - Where to report?

It's been awhile since I had to deal with this kind of chargeback, so I'm wondering if anything has changed. I recently shipped merchandise to a customer. It turns out that he used stolen credit card information and now it's being charged back by the cardholder.

What I'm wondering is if there is anywhere I can report this? I have the shipping address and IP address of the perpetrator. This happened a few years ago and I contacted the offender's local police department. Needless to say, they weren't interested. And there was nobody I could report the problem to. Is that still the landscape we're in? Maybe an agency popped up in the last couple of years that handles this kind of thing?

Thanks!
    Kyle Creasy, Alphatect

Re: Credit Card Fraud - Where to report?

Nothing has perceptibly changed.

Comment

Originally posted by nottheusual1 View Post
      Nothing has perceptibly changed.
      That's amazing. If only the feds realized how much money they were losing in tax revenues.

Comment

I've dealt with this. Call the police department both in your town and in the delivery town.
        They actually do fight this stuff. And often they need to get a higher total of fraud committed by a person to make it worth the district attorney's time to go after them with gusto.

Get your ducks in a row.. get the ip address the person used when they made the order and that kind of thing. The more documentation you have the better it helps the police.

I'm glad you are concerned about it and willing to report it. Many merchants don't and it hurts us all because then the fraudsters get away with it.
        We have helped bust a few of them. Once case was a roommate using a card without permission, an ex husband charging up a wife's new cc card (one she obtained after their divorce). Another was a credit card fraud ring... they would order stuff, ship it to a near by house of people a couple of blocks away from their location who worked days, grab the shipment off their porch then resell the stuff on ebay or craig's list. They went to jail for minimum 5 years plus probation after that, it was so much when they counted in everyone they scammed that it was a huge felony.
        Many of these people do go to jail, if we merchants report it.
        Last edited by kayakbabe; 09-05-12, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakbabe View Post
          We have helped bust a few of them. Once case was a roommate using a card without permission, an ex husband charging up a wife's new cc card (one she obtained after their divorce). Another was a credit card fraud ring... they would order stuff, ship it to a near by house of people a couple of blocks away from their location who worked days, grab the shipment off their porch then resell the stuff on ebay or craig's list. They went to jail for minimum 5 years plus probation after that, it was so much when they counted in everyone they scammed that it was a huge felony.
          Many of these people do go to jail, if we merchants report it.
          That's good to hear. I think alot has to do with the location. This is in Riverside, CA - near Los Angeles. They're pretty bogged down out there. I'm going to give it a shot though.

It would be nice if it was easier to call in address verifications. By the time you get through to your merchant provider to get the phone number of the bank, then half the time, the number has no option to speak to a rep. Then when you do speak to a rep, he/she is confused about your intentions because they're setup to take calls from cardholders - not merchants. By the time you're finished, it's turned into a 20 minute ordeal. It would help to have the list of credit card banks that the merchant providers have. I'm sure it could be found. Does anybody know where one could download this list?

Comment

most credit card gateways can do that for you. It's not too expensive maybe 10 cents per transaction.
            And it will integrate with your site... i'm pretty sure chase payment tech and also authorize.net can do it. might already even be built into the miva modules for them.
            hopefully miva will weight in and tell us.

Comment

Most of the gateways support AVS settings by default and those pass through to us.

Also the MaxMind module is really great for Fraud Prevention, it's what we personally use.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]
              https://www.miva.com

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my earlier post. I do receive a transaction email with each order from Innovative Gateway, which contains the "AVS Response". I signed up for the Innovative Merchant / Innovative Gateway package that was being offered through Miva at the time. It's been 3 years now. Time really flies. Anyway, their service and trx speed has been great. I have nothing to complain about. I'm not sure though if I'm paying extra for the AVS response. If I am, 10 cents would certainly be worth it.

In my earlier post that I should have explained better, I was referring to situations where you need to call the issuing bank for more information. Typically that's when you get an AVS response of "N" for no match. So you call the customer for the billing address and now you want to verify the address with the bank. And on rare occassion, I've wanted to verify the name or the phone number.

Comment

I don't know anyway to shorten that process. But I do think adding MaxMind on top (which is probably $5 a month for the service) would likely reduce the number of times you need to do that down to near 0.
                  Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                  CEO
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                    I don't know anyway to shorten that process. But I do think adding MaxMind on top (which is probably $5 a month for the service) would likely reduce the number of times you need to do that down to near 0.
                    Thanks Rick. I'll look into MaxMind. I notice they have a Miva module too.

Comment

Yeah it's on Miva Central (and if you got our newsletter, there's a $20 off coupon this month).
                      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                      CEO
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

Guys
                        We were hit with a few chargebacks recently due to unauthorized use, and believe its the same person, even though the shipping address are all different.
                        Were in Miva admin do i go to find the IP address?
                        Vincent
                        www.bimmerzone.com
                        Your BMW Parts, Accessories & Performance Zone

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerzone.com View Post
                          I don't know if there is a place in Miva. However, your site's log files should show a history of all site activity, including IP. I think the location of the log files varies depending on the host. If you use an FTP program, you should be able to find a log folder somewhere in the hierarchy, near or below your main root folder.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerzone.com View Post
                            Guys
                            We were hit with a few chargebacks recently due to unauthorized use, and believe its the same person, even though the shipping address are all different.
                            This will not help for your current problem however with the toolkit and help from Bill I was able to add this to the email merchant order confirmation footer.
                            Code:
                            Customer IP: &mvte:global:ip;<mvt:if expr="g.customer:login">
                            <br><br>Customer Login: &mvte:global:customer:login;
                            </mvt:if>
                            Last edited by Mark Hood; 10-16-12, 06:23 AM.
                            Mark Hood
                            Vermont Gear

Comment

Never commented before but for any interstate credit card fraud, bypass your local police and call the SECRET SERVICE in that area. I know that sounds nuts, but we operate several sites and have had a couple of fraud cases. I'm glad to say one of the dirt bags is currently doing 20+ years in federal prison because of our help in tracking the dirt bag down, with the Secret Service. They handle all that kind of fraud crap.
                              Ted Hust
                              AarcMediaGroup.com

Celebrating 13 Years of Outstanding Service & Support
                              Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Working...
                              X