Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to replay mail using mvSMTP

Hello,

I am on a new server with Plesk 10.4.4. We have a custom, non-store application developed in MivaScript. One thing that our application does is mail out registration information to learners. We do that using MvSMTP. It worked fine on the old server, but now gives us an error message:

Runtime error in EspritLMS/scripts/email.mvc @ [00000001:0000039a]: C:MivaMiaHTMLEspritLMSscriptsemail.mv: Line 48: MvSMTP: orry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)

I have tried numerous things including deleting the domain from the virtual domains in qmail (suggested somewhere in this forum and on Plesk forums) and still get the error message.

Some of the e-mails that we send just go to the learner (outside of our server) and they seem to work find. The problem seems to be with the e-mails where we send a copy to an e-mail address in the same domain. Those don't go out and creates the error message and then nothing seems to get send out.

Any help, ideas for troubleshooting or even referrals to someone who might be able to help in a paid capacity would be appreciated.

Robin
    Last edited by robinemcd; 12-08-12, 01:17 AM.
    ---------------------------------
    Robin McDermott, CQE
    Director of Training
    QualityTrainingPortal.com

Re: Unable to replay mail using mvSMTP

Start by taking a look at the server mail log and see what's going on to throw the error. Should be:

/usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

Comment

Thank you! We did that and have resolved the issue.
      Robin McDermott, CQE
      Director of Training

Comment

Originally posted by robinemcd View Post
        Thank you! We did that and have resolved the issue.
        I've found this issue before, but it typically occurs when we're dealing with sandbox sites, or dev sites. Specifically if we're working with a dev on a different server completely, eg: example-55.some_hosting_devbox.com. But when we put it on production it gets resolved (because the mailbox does exist there).

From my experience, it was because the configurations for the sandbox were set to something similar to what the production site would want to have (so, [email protected], instead of [email protected]_hosting_devbox.com).

Could you elaborate on what the issue was (if possible)? These types of issues can be sneaky, and if some person in the future finds this same error, it could be helpful for them to get a possible solution to the issue.
        PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
        We built the most Miva Merchant stores!
        Miva shopping cart design & integration service and our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
        web: www.pcinet.com

"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
        Quarry Worker's Creed

Comment

Good Point Titus!

I am in a development situation. I have my live store running one (older) server and my new development site running on a new server that I will not be cutting over to until my store is ready to go. Both are behind the same hardware firewall (not sure that has anything to do with the issue.

We send e-mails through our mivascript application from one site using mvSMTP to an e-mail address at another site that is on the same server. So, for example, the site might be www.abc.com. We are sending the e-mail to [email protected]. xyz.com is set up and running on the old server (all DNS records are pointing to that server). I am not exactly sure of what the problem is, but I am thinking that the problem is that when the mail goes out it sees the xyz domain in the localhost, but doesn't see the mailbox for [email protected] and that is where it is falling down.

If I change the send to mail address to something off of the server, it works fine. So, I think that this is one of those cases when going live will resolve the issues - at least I hope so!

Does that make sense to you?

TIA,
          Robin
          Robin McDermott, CQE
          Director of Training

Comment

Originally posted by robinemcd View Post
            Good Point Titus!

I am in a development situation. I have my live store running one (older) server and my new development site running on a new server that I will not be cutting over to until my store is ready to go. Both are behind the same hardware firewall (not sure that has anything to do with the issue.

We send e-mails through our mivascript application from one site using mvSMTP to an e-mail address at another site that is on the same server. So, for example, the site might be www.abc.com. We are sending the e-mail to [email protected]. xyz.com is set up and running on the old server (all DNS records are pointing to that server). I am not exactly sure of what the problem is, but I am thinking that the problem is that when the mail goes out it sees the xyz domain in the localhost, but doesn't see the mailbox for [email protected] and that is where it is falling down.

If I change the send to mail address to something off of the server, it works fine. So, I think that this is one of those cases when going live will resolve the issues - at least I hope so!

Does that make sense to you?

TIA,
            Robin
            Makes sense enough to me! (:
            PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
            We built the most Miva Merchant stores!
            Miva shopping cart design & integration service and our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
            web: www.pcinet.com

"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
            Quarry Worker's Creed

Comment

Working...
            X