Question on making/using multiple page layouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on making/using multiple page layouts

We would like to add a category to our store that has products in it, but these products will not be for sale. I have spent time looking around and have found nothing about listing items with no price.

In our category pages, the products are listed and under each photograph of the item, there is a price, a Quantity in Basket: 1 and two different links (Buy Now & Add to Basket).

In the actual product page, there is the same list of information, price, quantity in basket information and a small window to write in the number of items you would wish to purchase.

I would like to have all of these removed from both page layouts.

So, I learned that you can make edits in the PROD page of your store and in the category page that would remove these, but if I do, it will change all product layouts. There is only one PROD page and I wasn’t sure which page to edit for the category page. Because of this, I have run into a dead end.

Can I make a second PROD page layout and have it as a choice to use with only certain products? Is this possible?

If so, and I do make a second PROD page and Category page layout, how do I need to save them and have them used for only certain products? Is there a place where I can select what products to use with what PROD layout?

Now, after I’ve explained all of this, is there another way to achieve what I am trying to do without such hassle?

We just want to have certain products listed with no price, order information and no options to buy. In the product information section, there will be further information on contacting us to make an order or to find out any further information, but no price or tabs to use for ordering.

I attached two images of the pages we have and that I am talking about.

Please let me know if you have any questions and if I make any since.

Thank You,
    Sean
    Attached Files

Re: Question on making/using multiple page layouts

Simplest is probably to use a custom product field. Set the field set to a certain value. Then you could wrap the Add 2 Basket Button for instance and have it display or not depending on the value.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

I went in and found a note about this and it seems great, but I have to get past step one. How do I create and/or use a "custom product field"?
      Last edited by smcdonough; 12-17-12, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Here's a video on Miva's website that will help you.
        http://www.merchanttutorials.com/mem...oductField.htm

Once you get your custom product field, then you can input either yes or no in the product to display price/addtobasket/quanty...etc... or not display price/etc...

You would do that with a conditional in your PROD page.

Simple explanation...
        If <customfield>=YES then display price...etc... normally, like always.

If it doesn't equal YES, it skips the price and add to basket etc....
        Last edited by Gamelord; 12-18-12, 01:08 PM.
        Kent
        www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

I thought about it and let me make a basic description.

We have a store with 8 different categories. They are all priced the same way, but we would like to add one other category of professional products. These will not be for sale, but will be displayed for information. We do not want any of these products available for purchase. On the side, we will have information on the product and more information on how we can be reached.

Is there an "easy" way to do this? I kind of understand the PROD page, but that is the information that is used for all of our products and I don't see where the information on what is displayed is. I only want this for one of the categories and not for all of the products.

If you would like, I can add a text copy of the PROD page and you can see.

Thanks

By the way, thanks for the link to that video. I now understand a little more on how it works.
          Last edited by smcdonough; 12-18-12, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Why not just do a static pages since nothing needs to happen transaction wise?

Comment

Static pages are a pain, especially if you want to do any editing or temporarily make an item inactive and such. Plus if you do any changes to your header/footer/nav tree you then have to go back and change every single one of your static pages to match....BLEAH!!! Then you also have to worry about passing the login information between static and dynamic pages...and cookies and HTTPS issues....What a pain.

I would just do the conditional and custom field. It would be super easy to implement and once it is done you just add the products like normal and select yes or no to show the pricing and add to cart info. This could be done in less than an hour and would be seamless, no extra coding needed at all to display your not-for-sale products.
              Kent
              www.awindofchange.com

Comment

I have used this method and fully agree with Kent, it is easy to maintain and work with. I set up a customfield "nosale". For items that I do not want to be able to be purchased online enter anything into the field at the product level. We use "1", otherwise leave blank. Then I wrap whatever I do not want to display in the following.

<mvt:if expr="ISNULL l.settings:product:customfield_values:customfields :nosale">

Standard Page Code

<mvt:else>

Replaces the standard Page Code

</mvt:if>

You only have to worry about maintaining the field for the products you do not want to sell. I also use the same code on category display listings to remove the purchase buttons.

Dave

Comment

You could wrap the <price> and <buy one now> (and whatever else you don't want displayed) section only. Then check your custom field for the standard default, if it equals the standard default then it would display normal like every other page. If you change the default to anything else, it would just skip over the section you wrapped and process the rest of the page normally. That way you don't even need to use the <mvt:else> at all.

<mvt:if expr="ISNULL l.settings:product:customfield_values:customfields :default value">

display this section that includes price/basket quantity/add one to cart/etc...

If it equals normal default value, page looks and displays normal. If not, page displays normal except it doesn't include what is in the above section.
                  Kent
                  www.awindofchange.com

Comment

But wouldn't this do the same to all products?

Comment

Okay, I have done a lot of searching and I found a way to do it, but I can just imagine that there is an easier way.

None of our current products are on an Inventory Count, so I went in and activated it. All products were still available and it didn't change anything. So far, so good. I then went to these certain products, selected Inventory, checked Track Product. I then left everything blank/Default until the "Track Out of Stock Level". I then made it Yes and No, not to Hide Out of Stock Products, gave a short title and then wrote in For Professionals only.

Now when that catergory comes up, there are no "Buy" links under them and under the Price is the message saying For Professionals Only. When you select a product to look at, you are taken to the normal product page that has the same information. In the text box next to this, I have added, "This, and all professional products, are not for sale online, but for anymore information..."

The option to Add to Cart is still there, but if clicked on, you are led to a page that only reads "For Professionals Only" and has a back button.

Well, this might not be perfect, but at least we can put these up and see about changing a few more things later. One is removing the displayed price under the photo. I kind of understand the changes that can be made, but it seems that these directions are for all of the products. I don't understand how you can make changes and have them only apply to certain products.

Do I make any since?

Thanks for all of help from you guys - I'm learning more and more as time goes by.

Comment

Originally posted by smcdonough View Post
                        Okay, I have done a lot of searching and I found a way to do it, but I can just imagine that there is an easier way.

None of our current products are on an Inventory Count, so I went in and activated it. All products were still available and it didn't change anything. So far, so good. I then went to these certain products, selected Inventory, checked Track Product. I then left everything blank/Default until the "Track Out of Stock Level". I then made it Yes and No, not to Hide Out of Stock Products, gave a short title and then wrote in For Professionals only.

Now when that catergory comes up, there are no "Buy" links under them and under the Price is the message saying For Professionals Only. When you select a product to look at, you are taken to the normal product page that has the same information. In the text box next to this, I have added, "This, and all professional products, are not for sale online, but for anymore information..."

The option to Add to Cart is still there, but if clicked on, you are led to a page that only reads "For Professionals Only" and has a back button.

Well, this might not be perfect, but at least we can put these up and see about changing a few more things later. One is removing the displayed price under the photo. I kind of understand the changes that can be made, but it seems that these directions are for all of the products. I don't understand how you can make changes and have them only apply to certain products.

Do I make any since?

Thanks for all of help from you guys - I'm learning more and more as time goes by.
                        On the Product display layout tab of the PROD page fine the add to cart button and try changing to this

Code:
                        <mvt:if expr="l.settings:product:inv_level NE 'out'">
                        exisiting button code here
                        You can actually wrap the qty at the same time as well as putting the same code around the price so

Code:
                        <div class="product-price">Price: <span id="price-value" class="bold">&mvt:product:formatted_price;</span></div>
                        becomes
                        Code:
                        <mvt:if expr="l.settings:product:inv_level NE 'out'">
                        <div class="product-price">Price: <span id="price-value" class="bold">&mvt:product:formatted_price;</span></div>
                        Last edited by Mark Hood; 12-19-12, 04:36 PM.
                        Mark Hood
                        Vermont Gear

Comment

Originally posted by smcdonough View Post
                          But wouldn't this do the same to all products?
                          Yes, and you want it to.
                          Since you will leave the value empty in the custom field for the normal products, it won't trigger the condition as being true.

Let's say you name your custom field as HIDESTUFF
                          and you decide that if you want to hide the buttons and stuff you will put the value TRUE in that custom field on those particular products you want to hide the display of stuff for...

then you use the logic in your template like so...

IF HIDESTUFF EQUALS TRUE THEN
                          HIDE THE BUY BUTTONS AND OTHER JUNK
                          ELSE
                          DON"T HIDE ANYTHING
                          END IF

note: that is just plain english not the actual code

Programmers use if-then statements all the time. Miva uses it all the time... that's how the buy buttons are hidden if there is not enough inventory and you have tracking turned on. That's how the active inactive checkbox works to show or hide products from the store front, there are thousands of ways if-then is used in your miva store.

You can't real program anything useful without. If you are going to alter your storemorph templates, you really need to learn it. It makes programming so much easier for repetitive types of things (like using one template to display the products)

Comment

Working...
                          X