Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need developer to help combat Visual AD targeting

Thanks for reading,
    I recently discovered that the drop down deal widget dropdowndeals dot com appeared directly in my product page, within the product image. The intrusion is manifested by yontoo and superfish, and have seen the drop down widget before in the upper right corner of the browser. But this time the widget is bedded *directly* in my product page and with one click they are sent to a competitor site.

I visit my competitor sites and I don't see the same intrusion as I do on my site.

Obviously, the bug is easily removed from *your* machine, but when customers browse my site I do not want the contents of the page itself changed - category, basket, product page...etc. Looking for a way to trick/disable the code that yontoo has installed on the client browser.

Please response directly to email if possible: [email protected]
    Thank You,
    Rick Scofield -

Re: Need developer to help combat Visual AD targeting

Generally speaking, you have little control, and no "Right" to control what happens on a customer's browsers. Those intrusions, whether conscientiously or not, are installed on the customer's machine. Now, it MIGHT be possible to detect the presence of those applications and display your own "deal breaker" sort of display, but even that might require reading the customer's cookies, which, basically is a no-no.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce,
      Appreciate your input. It's just seems wrong that after all the hard work you put into the development in crafting your website display, which may be copyrighted,...that this type of intrusion comes along and actually changes the page display. In effect, I am controlling what the user sees displayed on their browser. We put checks in for browser type and version then customize the display for the best possible user experience for example. Also we control what happens after page is rendered, after a link is clicked...etc.

Just my little soap box rant, this type of intrusion is robbery.
      Thanks again.
      Thank You,
      Rick Scofield -

Comment

Oh, I'm not saying its not wrong...I just think what you are wanting to accomplish (i could be wrong) would require that you do something just as wrong or worse. (The customer may be aware of and voluntarily requested that feature in their browser.)

I agree its frustrating, and this is not meant to dismiss your frustration, but...no, you are not "controlling" what they visitor sees. You are "accommodating" what you HOPE the visitor sees. The visitor could turn off images, could insert their own style sheet or do any number of things that will nullify or change your painstaking design...such is the internet.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

You find a way to block one of these plugins, a new one will pop up right behind it. You would literally spend more time and resources trying to block these plugins vs. doing business and selling products.

This is where online shopping has been going for some time, especially in competitive markets. With a large number of stores selling the exact same products, it comes down to best deal, ie. price, shipping, availability. As a result, comparison engines, plugins and services are booming. Like it or not, if you operate in a competitive market, where all the players sell the same product lines, this is the game. (not to mention from a shopper perspective, plugins like this are great)

This is why Google is making such a big push on Rich Snippets right now. As with all things Google/SEO, so many think snippets have some sort of magical benefits on a sites abilitiy to rank within the search engine results. Couldn't be further from the truth as it's all about comparison shopping, ie. who has the best price, and where can I get it the fastest. (keeping in mind local retailers/locations are at play with all of this as well)

I can't tell you how many store owners are wanting rich snippets implemented right now for the sole purpose of having them, and because Google Webmaster Tools said they shoud have them, not fully realizing what their purpose is.

Bottom line, comparison shopping isn't going away anytime soon, nor are these browser plugins. If anything they are going to grow in numbers/popularity. As an online business in a competitive market, you either embrace them, change your business model to include lower volume/higher margin, less known, niche products, or you remove all reference to your products from landing pages. (the latter not being recommended of course)

Comment

"I can't tell you how many store owners are wanting rich snippets implemented right now for the sole purpose of having them, and because Google Webmaster Tools said they shoud have them, not fully realizing what their purpose is."

Here's an "amen" on that one .......

Comment

Working...
            X