Thoughts on Baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Baskets

Looking for suggestions or thoughts on baskets. More specifically, it seems a bit counter productive for a customer to add a product and then be taken to the basket every time a product is added. I understand you do want to keep track of what you are buying...but is there a better mousetrap out there i.e. floating baskets, mini baskets on the side etc.
    Tim S. Raisbeck, owner
    Charlotte’s Saddlery Inc.

11623A Katy Freeway
    Houston, Texas 77079

http://www.charlottes-saddlery.com
    Proudly Serving the Equine Industry for Over 35 Years.

Re: Thoughts on Baskets

Originally posted by Gulfcoast View Post
    Looking for suggestions or thoughts on baskets. More specifically, it seems a bit counter productive for a customer to add a product and then be taken to the basket every time a product is added. I understand you do want to keep track of what you are buying...but is there a better mousetrap out there i.e. floating baskets, mini baskets on the side etc.

There are certainly other ways using mini baskets or maybe even a javascript popup letting them know that something just happened. The real question though is what to do with them if your not going to take them to the basket page? Depending on what you sell does it make sense to keep them on the product page?

If you tend to have people ordering just one item then it probably makes sense to go to the basket. You really don't want to give them an extra chance to change their mind but as always....just my opinion
    Mark Hood
    Vermont Gear

Comment

Oh man, welcome to the quest! Wouldn't we all love to know the magic sauce of what to do with a customer after they click add to cart that creates the highest conversion rates? :-)

We've added a history summary in the basket screen, "Products you've viewed" kind of thing. That improved our average order size a bit. We've also used the basket screen to remind customers of our current featured items. The basket screen can do some selling, and frankly I think it should do some selling.

Have you read the "Get Elastic" blog (www.getelastic.com)? It's a heck of a resource for ecommerce site owners, frequently showing tested results of things like this. Sadly, I don't think they've covered any reports on what to do upon "add to cart" actions.

Comment

It all begins with understanding your customers needs and wants (and the differences between those two<g>).

The problem with "Here's what you do for better ecommerce" is that Better ALWAYS has the above factor. "Always make your site cross browser and legacy able? Not if you are selling the hottest gaming controller...etc.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
        X