Deleting products by mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting products by mistake

This is not a request for help but a request for a minor feature to relieve a frustration.

The methods for assigning a related product and deleting a product are almost identical. After working for long hours editing and adding related products, I have on several occasions, in semi-hypnotic stupor, deleted products in error. Is it not possible to have a warning before deleting a product.

There's nothing worse than that Oh Crap! feeling immediately after clicking the update button and realizing you just deleted several products.

Re: Deleting products by mistake

I'll do you one better... how about deleting a whole pricegroup... c'mon Miva! Give us a "Are you sure you want to delete...?"
    Scott Bronstad
    Marketing
    Star Time Supply, Co. Inc.
    http://store.startimesupply.com

Comment

I share your pain. When adding 9 related products to an item I accidentally deleted them all. Very painful. Rather than have my host restore a backup I used Google and looked up the items. As I expected, there were cached copies of them all. We printed them out so now "all" I need to do is re-key them in, add the related items, assign the appropriate price groups and categories, determine the the legacy image names (at least they are still on the server), add any additional images, and make sure they all work. Hmmm, maybe a restore would be easier.

Miva, please add me to the chorus asking for "Are you sure you want to delete...?"
      Keith Oratz
      PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
      www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Is there any undo, or recovery option. I just did this myself and it was a big mistake, a days worth of work gone. I was just trying to add related items and deleted all the related instead.... This really hurts!
        Marshall
        http://www.hmcdisplay.com
        http://www.churchonwheels.com

Comment

Originally posted by marshallw View Post
          This really hurts!
          Agreed... been there and there is no undo button.

The way I've handled this on occasion was to have Miva (our host) restore the products to a dev store and them. Then I was able to go into the dev store to export them.
          Mark Hood
          Vermont Gear

Comment

A good practice is export ALL products before working on them. Its just a few minutes...and easy to recover.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Since I originally created this post I have deleted several more products by mistake. What's even worse, now, every time I assign a related product I nervously scroll to the top to be sure I'm on the right page and the heading says "Assign", not "Delete". A waste of time.

I now export products regularly and keep the CSV files archived so that I can recover if I delete a product. Even with the backup, it's still an unnecessary inconvenience that could so easily be fixed with a warning dialogue. This is a no-brainer. Miva, please fix this!
              Last edited by techlectics; 05-22-13, 09:02 AM.

Comment

This is a fundamental UI issue in our Batch screens. We'll be address thing is PR9.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thank you Rick! Please move that delete button somewhere where you will have to search for it - and a warning "Do you really wanna?!" This is the ultimate face-palm and I too have done it many times.
                  Kent
                  www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Rick, while you're tweaking the UI note that the newer Product Page tabs such as Additional Images and Inventory Variants don't have an update button like the older tabs do (and which should be on the top of the screen or floating). It's not clear whether the product is updated automatically as you leave one of these tabs or if you have to go to an older tab and actually click update.

Sorry for semi-swiping the thread.
                    Keith Oratz
                    PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                    www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Keith,

Yeah we're going to "merge" if you will the two different and sometimes competing UI structures that currently exist, into 1 single new structure.
                      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                      CEO
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]
                      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Yup, hard to remodel from the inside when you are trying to keep the doors open.
                        Keith Oratz
                        www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Working...
                        X