Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source or Collaborative Module

Hey guys,

Is anyone interested in collaborating on an open-sourced module? Or at least a module that we can all share in.

I have been looking at writing a module which will interface with common IDEs and text editors. Currently, Notepad++. But basically, it would offer the ability to connect to the merchant DB, pull a screen, and load up template data.

You could go back and forth through revisions, and work from there. But you wouldn't be required to be logged into the Miva Merchant admin to do this.

It's just a bit easier to do things this way. I've been debating on whether or not this would be something that I could "market", and my thoughts are, the people who would really only be interested in doing this are other developers. I could be wrong though.

If you are interested, please feel free to email, reply to the thread or PM me.

Kind regards,

Tim Bolton
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built the most Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com

"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
    Quarry Worker's Creed

Re: Open Source or Collaborative Module

Hi Tim --

This is an interesting idea. I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "connect to the merchant DB, pull a screen, and load up template data." But I do sometimes find the development cycle a little tedious: edit, compile, FTP, shopping page, admin page, phpMyAdmin, etc. If you're envisioning a tool to streamline that process, then I might want to either help, or buy a copy if you go proprietary.
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Multer View Post
      Hi Tim --

This is an interesting idea. I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "connect to the merchant DB, pull a screen, and load up template data." But I do sometimes find the development cycle a little tedious: edit, compile, FTP, shopping page, admin page, phpMyAdmin, etc. If you're envisioning a tool to streamline that process, then I might want to either help, or buy a copy if you go proprietary.
      Hey Kent,

Basically, it would be something along the lines of a little "file explorer", where you could pick the screen you wanted to edit.

When you get the screen, it would pull the current templates being used for that screen. Then when you modified them, you could have the option of modifying the "notes" section too, for comments.

When you save changes, it would go through the same process that the admin goes through, as far as checking for compile errors, updating all the appropriate areas within the DB to relate that the changes have been made, etc.

But, this way it would be separated from the MM admin, to allow for more powerful/different tools for editing and maintaining.

The NotePad++ plugin would have to be written in C++, which isn't a huge deal. But I guess my thought is, if I were going to do this, I would want to make sure it integrated with the most commonly used development system.

So, if I'm the only person who uses Notepad++, or Vim, and everyone else uses TextPad, then I would be doing a lot of work for something which few people could use.

I'm open to switching editors, though. No complaints there.

EDIT: Also, check out my workflow thread. You might like it. It has really sped up my development process.
      Last edited by titus; 03-20-13, 01:40 PM.
      PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
      We built the most Miva Merchant stores!
      Miva shopping cart design & integration service and our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
      web: www.pcinet.com

"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
      Quarry Worker's Creed

Comment

Oh, OK: an IDE for page templates, not for Miva Script. That might be useful for a lot of developers and designers who set up MM stores, not just folks who write code.
        Kent Multer
        Magic Metal Productions
        http://TheMagicM.com
        * Web developer/designer
        * E-commerce and Miva
        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Working...
        X