Paypal standard vs paypal express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal standard vs paypal express

Can anyone tell the difference between PayPal standard and expesss?
    On my payment settings page both modules are active, but this leads to 2 PayPal selections for the customer to select on the payment drop down. That seems confusing to me and it must be to the customer too.
    I've tried to unassign each of the modules (one at a time) but Miva tells me they are in use and can't be unassigned.
    Which is the best to use and how can unassign the other?

Thanks

Re: Paypal standard vs paypal express

If you have Express enabled you should not also use Standard.

Standard is simply PayPal as a choice in your drop down of payment type choices (like Visa, MC, etc...).

Express is both that as well as the Yellow PayPal Badge on your Checkout badges, so using Express and Standard end up showing duplicate options.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

I actually discontinued my Paypal express and just went back to the standard. Here is the reasons.

When enabling the Paypal Express, it adds a button on your basket page that says "Use express checkout by Paypal" which is fine by itself, but the issues I was having was that people saw that instead of my normal checkout and assumed that I only accepted Paypal, not other credit cards. I know that you don't need a Paypal account to use Paypal express checkout, and you can use a normal credit card with Express....but we had some people calling the store complaining that they didn't have a paypal account and just wanted to use their credit card.

To combat this, we changed out checkout button to something more noticeable and nicer to try and show that we did have a regular checkout besides Paypal...it helped but was still confusing. (Nothing against Paypal, we had the same issues with Google checkout as well). We found that by having multiple checkout options, it was actually confusing our customers during the checkout process instead of streamlining it. They got to the basket and then had to choose...paypal or google or amazon or this other thing...... This threw up a HUGE red flag when wanting to get the money and finish the sale.

We dumped all other express options and instead, just had the one button that said "Safe and Secure Checkout". This made it simple and streamlined everything and sent the customer on their "one-way" to conversion. We still offer Paypal as an option during the checkout process (its listed with Visa, MC, Amex, etc...) and get a ton of customers that use Paypal, but now when they go to enter their payment, they can choose how they want to pay without any confusion.

Your methods may vary....hope this helps.
      Kent
      www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Thanks Kent:
        I agree with you about the intrusiveness of PayPal express. Now I just need to figure-out a way to get rid of it. When I try to remove it I get an error that some orders are using it. I'll keep working at it.
        Doug

Comment

You should just disable the module under Global Settings -> Modules. There's no need to actually turn the module off.

If you must turn it off, then you need to go back to the last date you were using it and Archive any orders that are older than that date. This will delete the payment data from those orders and allow you to turn the module off.
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks Rick...that works!

Comment

Working...
            X