Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping cart empty after new customer signs up

www.touchwindow.com

Every once in a while we have a new customer who puts something in their cart/basket and then they create a new account on the way to checkout and they report that their cart is now empty. Then they have to call a human to place their order and that doesn't look too good and we would like them to use the store if possible.

It is one of those doesn't happen to me, doesn't happen all the time, can't reproduce it kind of problems and it could be customer cockpit error too. We have not been asking exactly when they notice this empty cart thing or the OS and browser information yet, but will start.

Bruce from Phosphor was helping us with an unrelated problem and kindly said:

incorrect switching between secure and unsecure pages coupled with customers who erroneously block all cookies thinking its a security issue. One thing to check is make sure that the link to Customer Information from the basket is going to a secure page.

Seems if it was a secure/nonsecure thing, it would happen all the time and it would be easy to reproduce and not just some of the time, right?

Having gone through the process a few times, it looks okay (everything being https pages) I am not sure how to check that part about the cookies or how that comes into play or how to test that idea. What is a good way to test that idea?

Delete all my cookies (ugh!), then block cookies (not sure how to do that), or something else?

Re: Shopping cart empty after new customer signs up

I just noticed that you have your site posted. I checked the www resolve, and you are resolving it. I'd lean toward Bruce's suggestion, or I'd look at any system extension / logging modules you have installed.
    Last edited by titus; 03-28-13, 06:56 AM. Reason: I checked out the site for resolve... it had it.
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built the most Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com

"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
    Quarry Worker's Creed

Comment

Originally posted by joseibarra View Post
      www.touchwindow.com
      Delete all my cookies (ugh!), then block cookies (not sure how to do that), or something else?
      If you use FireFox, go to Tools, then select the Privacy tab, then click the Remove Individual Cookies Link. Find the items for your site (use Search to limit the list), then click "Remove Cookies" (careful not to click Remove All Cookies right next to that button).
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks for the ideas - I will be trying to recreate it (nobody reported an issue in a week or so).

Comment

Mostly unrelated, but I noticed the only way to ADD something to the cart basically takes you to the start of the checkout path...not much incentive to purchase more than "1" item. Might consider using "add to cart" and using a minibasket so the customer can remain on the product pages.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
          X