Paypal express?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal express?

My boss had gotten two calls in the past week from paypal to update to paypal express. So I did that today.

I place a test order:
    1. I click "checkout"
    2. I log in, and am taken to the customer info screen
    3. At the top is the new paypal option, so I click that
    4. I sign into PayPal and click "continue"
    5. I'm taken back to the customer info screen

This is where I'm stuck. From there, I continue with normal checkout, including payment selection. I don't get it! I just paid with paypal, and it's making me go through the rest of Miva's payment checkout. Is this right?
    Doug
    Using Miva Merchant since 2004
    StoreSMART.com

Re: Paypal express?

Originally posted by VisHorizons View Post
    My boss had gotten two calls in the past week from paypal to update to paypal express. So I did that today.

I place a test order:
    1. I click "checkout"
    2. I log in, and am taken to the customer info screen
    3. At the top is the new paypal option, so I click that
    4. I sign into PayPal and click "continue"
    5. I'm taken back to the customer info screen

This is where I'm stuck. From there, I continue with normal checkout, including payment selection. I don't get it! I just paid with paypal, and it's making me go through the rest of Miva's payment checkout. Is this right?
    Doug,

Paypal Express is designed to function this way. You complete the purchase on the store rather than at PayPal. You just have to go to PayPal to login and then you return to complete the checkout process.
    Jim McCormick
    Miva Merchant Support
    866-284-9812

https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for your response.
      edit:
      Okay, I think I get it. When I was placing my test order, I logged into paypal, then went back to Miva, then choose "PayPal" as my payment (I am 100% certain this step will confuse some customers), then it asked me to log into paypal again. That's my problem. I assume it's not supposed to ask a second time to log in. Is that right?
      Last edited by VisHorizons; 06-04-13, 11:40 AM.
      Doug
      StoreSMART.com

Comment

Originally posted by VisHorizons View Post
        Thanks for your response.
        edit:
        Okay, I think I get it. When I was placing my test order, I logged into paypal, then went back to Miva, then choose "PayPal" as my payment (I am 100% certain this step will confuse some customers), then it asked me to log into paypal again. That's my problem. I assume it's not supposed to ask a second time to log in. Is that right?
        PayPal should be the only option on the OSEL page (Shipping/Payment selection page) with all other options being suppressed. You should not be redirected to PayPal again. Would you happen to have PayPal Standard and PayPal Express assigned in Payment Settings?
        Jim McCormick
        Miva Merchant Support
        866-284-9812

Comment

Okay, I did another test order and I have a much better time with it. I understand that I have to shut off PayPal Standard, and that will get rid of the duplicate "PayPal" option I'm seeing. But I still see all the credit card options. I have radio buttons for payment options (I don't remember what I did to get there, but customers were getting confused by the drop-down), so I don't know if that is hindering things.

Edit: I'm using Payment Methods for Groups by William Weiland to organize and radio-button my shipping options.
          Last edited by VisHorizons; 06-04-13, 12:55 PM.
          Doug
          StoreSMART.com

Comment

Hey Doug -

It sounds like you have your payment methods hard coded to be radio buttons vs letting Miva dynamically write them to the page. Having these be dynamic is going to be the only way Miva can control which methods show and which don't.

You can still have radio buttons and have Miva dynamically generate the payment methods.

Here is some sample code (for CSSUI) if you're using MMUI it will be slightly different, but this should point you in the right direction.

Code:
            <div id="payment">
                <h2 class="fields-heading"><strong>Payment Options</strong></h2>
                    <mvt:foreach array="paymentmethods" iterator="method">

<div class="payment-row float-left">
                            <mvt:if expr="pos1 EQ 1">

<input type="radio" name="PaymentMethod" value="&mvte:method:module;:&mvte:method:code;" checked="checked" />

<mvt:else>

<input type="radio" name="PaymentMethod" value="&mvte:method:module;:&mvte:method:code;" />

</mvt:if>
                        </div>

</mvt:foreach>
            </div>
            Last edited by Brennan; 06-04-13, 12:58 PM.
            Brennan Heyde
            VP Product
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

I have been an online merchant since 1996 and a Miva merchant for over 10 of those years. In that time we have always accepted most credit cards and never accepted PayPal and we have never had a request for it, ever. I watch this forum every day and cannot recall a day passing without a problem or complaint about PayPal. It is easy to delude yourself into believing that PayPal is a business necessity (along with Google checkout, Bitcoin etc.) but my own experience is that customers don't let PayPal influence their buying decisions. They might use PayPal if I offered it but they don't seem to even notice or care that it is not available.

We also don't offer Facebook, Twitter, etc. for the same reason. When you place a Facebook or similar icon on your website you become a data-feed for Facebook's huge apetite for data, your customers loose a measure of privacy and you get nothing in the process. My advice is to keep an arm's length between you and the parasites that want to take a share of your harvest. </rant>
              Last edited by SunCam; 06-05-13, 03:07 AM.
              Bill Dunn
              SunCam, Inc.
              http://www.SunCam.com
              [email protected]

Comment

Brennan: Thanks for the code.

It looks like I'll have to get rid of Payment Methods for Group module. My boss doesn't like to accept credit cards from overseas, so Payment Methods for Group lets us limit which countries see those payment options. I don't know how else to limit that.

Bill: I feel your frustration. We got two calls in the past week to "upgrade" to paypal express. I didn't know what that meant until I did it. Now I see that paypal has inserted their button on the customer info screen and the basket screen. I'm worried about customers getting confused. I like how it was before, just an option during regular checkout. Now it seems as though we prefer to take paypal, or like paypal is the only option, which is not the case. I'm left trying to think of something I can insert on those pages that will let customers know that we take more than just paypal. Ugh.
                Doug
                StoreSMART.com

Comment

Im pretty sure the payment Method for groups limits the payment methods "behind the scenes" meaning it does all its work outside of the page template code so it shouldn't impact the code I provided above.

If you like, private message me temp admin access and I can get in and take a look.
                  Brennan Heyde
                  VP Product
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

Bill, more people have a Paypal account than have an American Express card. We do tons of business with Paypal and now days it is a very normal process of payments just like credit cards and cash. For online, Paypal is world wide accepted and in most cases, even easier to use than Visa or MC or AmEx for international orders.

I am against express checkouts via Paypal or Google wallet or Amazon etc... no need and all it does is screw up the flow of your checkout process and give them a chunk of your business. But I do include the basic Paypal option in the payment selection because people do have Paypal accounts and do want to use them.

Just my opinion of course and it is worth exactly what you paid for it.
                    Kent
                    www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gamelord View Post
                      I am against express checkouts via Paypal or Google wallet or Amazon etc... no need and all it does is screw up the flow of your checkout process and give them a chunk of your business. But I do include the basic Paypal option in the payment selection because people do have Paypal accounts and do want to use them.
                      I'm thinking about rewinding to paypal Standard. I agree about express messing with the flow.

Also, maybe it's cynical, but I don't like those big, prominent paypal buttons so early in the checkout. It feels like they're sniping my customers or something. "Let's get 'em before they reach the other payment options!" I'd rather paypal be on same level as all my other payment options.
                      Doug
                      StoreSMART.com

Comment

I agree. I also worry that if someone sees a store that is prominently listed with Paypal all over it, it makes the store seem less 'professional' or a home built store using Paypal buttons for quick and one-step setup. I feel that you get a more professional looking store with a detailed checkout process and all payment options including Paypal as just one of the other options you offer.

That's just me though.
                        Kent
                        www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Kent,
                          How do you include Paypal in your list of options but not on the first screen? I don't want it to look like Paypal is the only option for payment.

Comment

Originally posted by anne226 View Post
                            Kent,
                            How do you include Paypal in your list of options but not on the first screen? I don't want it to look like Paypal is the only option for payment.
                            To remove the PayPal button from the BASK page you'll need to go into Pages and then edit your BASK page to remove the PayPal items; PaypalExButton, , PaypalErrorMsg and PaypalDisblAdr
                            Jim McCormick
                            Miva Merchant Support
                            866-284-9812

Comment

Working...
                            X