Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increase Character Limit Allowed for E-Mail Notifcations (billing & shipping e-mails)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increase Character Limit Allowed for E-Mail Notifcations (billing & shipping e-mails)

Can someone guide me on how to increase the amount of characters allowed for billing and shipping email addresses?

I work with attorneys that often have long email addresses and/or require multiple email addresses for Order and Shipping notifications.

Many Thanks!
    Corina

Re: Increase Character Limit Allowed for E-Mail Notifcations (billing & shipping e-ma

Are you getting a specific error? Can you describe what's happening?
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Re: Increase Character Limit Allowed for E-Mail Notifcations (billing & shipping e-ma

Currently the limit for Billling/Shipping email is 50 characters.
      Multiplie email addresses for those fields are allowed with a comma separating each.

If a client exceeds 50 characters, the data in that field is truncated upon order completion or account creation.
      Resulting in:
      - emails sent to a bad address and bouncing back.
      - saved accounts and orders are now missing the truncated information.

Today - I had an order with 2 email addresses. The second email got character #51 and #52 "om" dropped from ".com"

Thanks!
      Corina

Comment

There's realistically only two options at this point:

1. Go into the database and make the field longer (we don't officially support this).

2. Use a Custom Customer Field in place of our field for storing those.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

How would I do option 1. Go into the database and make the field longer?

Comment

You need to use PHPMyAdmin or similar tool, and you need to increase the fields in at least three tables:

customers
            basket
            orders

There may also be third party modules with email fields, and they would probably have the 50 character limit as well. That's why, option #2 is actually better.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce! I will explore option 2 further!

Comment

Working...
              X