Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add To Cart Button Disabled Until Attribute Selected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add To Cart Button Disabled Until Attribute Selected?

So I'm seeing a behavior, where the add to cart button is "inactive" until after a required attribute is selected. No error is shown. The Add To Cart button looks "clickable", but just doesn't do anything.

I know that where we're seeing this issue, it is on a site using inventory variants. I have another admin I checked and even where an attribute is required, it will still force the PATR screen like it should. But on this other site where they are using inventory variants, the add to cart button just does nothing if no attribute has been selected yet.

Gotta be a stupid setting within the attribute machine settings, but can't get my head around it.
    Ted Hust
    AarcMediaGroup.com

Celebrating 13 Years of Outstanding Service & Support
    Miva Merchant Design

Re: Add To Cart Button Disabled Until Attribute Selected?

And this is a "bad" idea? Actually quite clever...though I'd have a popup or message that says "Please select an Option before Adding to Cart".
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Exactly, IF they had this tied to the error messages, then it would be fine, but the way it is just plain IDIOTIC. I mean seriously. Let's not indicate to the customer why clicking the add to cart button isn't doing anything. Granted, we could write some javascript to fix that, but at the clients cost. This should be fixed ASAP. It's not "technically" a bug, but it's 100% very poor execution. This is an "abc" kind of thing. We have a site that launched on Thursday for a client and they've had countless calls about the add to cart button not working.

Hell, at least allow the PATR screen to function. It doesn't even force that. At least then they'd know what the issue was.

Actually, Bruce, this client needs a fix for this today. Care to take on a quick 30-60 minute job and get paid $200-$300 for it? I know your busy, but they are in a pinch and don't want to re-start their marketing efforts until it's fixed.

I don't have time myself to implement the fix today, and know you could do it more quickly than me anyhow. I'm a designer and fudging the javascript necessary to fix this up, with the proper if/else statements to understand the situation will take me 2-4 hours I don't have today. I suspect this may only take you 30 minutes to an hour. Email me if you're interested. They'd pay today for the time.
      Ted Hust
      AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Originally posted by aarcmedia View Post
        Exactly, IF they had this tied to the error messages, then it would be fine, but the way it is just plain IDIOTIC. I mean seriously. Let's not indicate to the customer why clicking the add to cart button isn't doing anything. Granted, we could write some javascript to fix that, but at the clients cost. This should be fixed ASAP. It's not "technically" a bug, but it's 100% very poor execution. This is an "abc" kind of thing. We have a site that launched on Thursday for a client and they've had countless calls about the add to cart button not working.

Hell, at least allow the PATR screen to function. It doesn't even force that. At least then they'd know what the issue was.

Actually, Bruce, this client needs a fix for this today. Care to take on a quick 30-60 minute job and get paid $200-$300 for it? I know your busy, but they are in a pinch and don't want to re-start their marketing efforts until it's fixed.

I don't have time myself to implement the fix today, and know you could do it more quickly than me anyhow. I'm a designer and fudging the javascript necessary to fix this up, with the proper if/else statements to understand the situation will take me 2-4 hours I don't have today. I suspect this may only take you 30 minutes to an hour. Email me if you're interested. They'd pay today for the time.
        Wouldn't be easier just to put a conditional around the add to cart button?
        You can either have it not show or display a message as far as I know should be something like
        <mvt:if expr="l.settings:product:inv_level EQ 'out'">
        button stuff
        </mvt:if>

http://www.vermontgear.com/CA91581.html

Select the Camelia Rose in a small

This is just an example because normally I have it set up just to hide out of stock. The way the attribute machine settings are set up it on most of our products it's not normally needed. Duh... that should work
        Last edited by Mark Hood; 09-30-13, 08:54 AM.
        Mark Hood
        Vermont Gear

Comment

In this case Mark, it's not that these items are "out of stock". It's that the attributes default to "select one" and until they make that first selection, it just makes the add to cart button "dead".

If it was an inventory thing, it would be easy, as the normal inventory error's would show up letting them know of the issue. Writing a snippet of javascript that pops up if no selection is made is the easy part. Where it gets complicated is when there are multiple selections that have to be made.

To give Miva Merchant support credit, they have offered to fix this for free, and write up a script that will cause a pop up letting them know they need to make a selection. They agreed also that this should be built into the system, hence them willing to fix this. Apparently a few people have had this issue since it rolled out in one of the updates, and they said they'd use whatever they come up with for us for anyone that had a similar issue.

But they won't be able to get that fix set up until later in the week, and our client is hounding us to get this fixed yesterday.
          Ted Hust
          AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

I suppose I'm just going to have to put in some overtime today to get it written up. Cheer's to a 12 hour day today. I think I have some pumpkin spice beer in the fridge to take the edge off.
            Ted Hust
            AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Wait, or would your solution assume it's "out of stock" because nothing is selected yet? Hell, I'll plug it in and see what happens. I'll use an "if/else" instead and include a message with a grey'd out cart button.
              Ted Hust
              AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Nope, no dice. Thanks for the suggestion though.
                Ted Hust
                AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

>> The Add To Cart button looks "clickable", but just doesn't do anything.

For a quick fix you could change the look of the disabled button with some css.

Code:
                  button[disabled]:active,
                  button[disabled],
                  input[type=button][disabled]:active,
                  input[type=button][disabled]:hover,
                  input[type=button][disabled],
                  select[disabled] > input[type=button],
                  select[disabled] > input[type=button]:active,
                  input[type=submit][disabled]:active,
                  input[type=submit][disabled]:hover,
                  input[type=submit][disabled] {yourcss:here;}

Ron Frigon
                  Jedi Webmaster Obi-Ron Kenobi

Comment

Could you assign a default option to each attribute?
                    http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X