Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video chat services for customer support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video chat services for customer support?

Hi folks --

I have a client who'd like to have a live-chat service available thru his Web site. The idea is that any customer with a smartphone or tablet should be able to contact him, and then point their camera at the product to have an interactive help session. Has anyone done that with a Miva store? I'd prefer a solution that doesn't require users to download a specific app, or enter a bunch of information to create an account; that rules out some of the more obvious free approaches like Skype and Google Hangouts. Any recommendations?

On second thought, I suppose that downloading an app into a smartphone would probably be acceptable, if it's free, and easy to install. The idea is to make this super-easy to use, even for non-tech-savvy customers.

Thanks & Have a good weekend! --
    Last edited by Kent Multer; 10-18-13, 12:03 PM.
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Re: Video chat services for customer support?

What are they taking a picture of again? A product they are looking at on the Web?

I know there is one Chat program out there that allows for screen-shots...unfortunately I forgot its name. I saw it while we where researching functionality for our Easy Contact module. (For which, we determined, live chat doesn't work for the majority of Merchant store owners, since they can't really afford to have someone monitor it 24/7...in which case, it just pisses off customers<g>).

Try googling Live Support Chat Screen Capture...I think that's how I found it.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Re: Video chat services for customer support?

I'm pretty confident that there isn't any way for a website to access the camera or microphone on a tablet for two-way video chat (iPad for sure, Android maybe). If your client has a native mobile app, there would be a way I bet, but that would be a lot of effort for this one feature.

Options that come to mind that require an app in one way or another are: Facetime (Mac and iOS only, can be associated with phone number or email address), Skype (requires an app, but it is very popular -- you can also direct link using the skype:// protocol, but I don't know if that works on a tablet), Google Hangout (less popular, more free, harder integration).

Comment

Working...
      X