X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W3C validation

When attempting to validate my pages I get the following all the time:
    Code:
    1. [*=left] Line 370, Column 8: "html" not finished but document ended </html> [*=left] Line 370, Column 8: end tag for "html" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified </html> You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">". [*=left] Line 4, Column 1: start tag was here <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    Any idea why?
    Maxanne Durkee
    Heavyweight Collections - Premium Heavy T-Shirts
    Facebook, Twitter, Blog

Re: W3C validation

It looks like on line 370, you are missing the ending > on your HTML tag.

If you can post up a link to the page/site then it would be easier to see.

As for #3, your start tag should be at the very top of your page on line 1, if you have it down a line or two, it will give you that message. Just delete the top two lines so that it is at the very top.
    Kent
    www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

I use a global header and footer to take care of the tags that will be on every page so every single page of my site shows this error. The site is http://www.heavytshirt.com/

The html tag is fully formed in the code, that is why I am a little confused.

Thanks for your help.
      Maxanne Durkee
      Facebook, Twitter, Blog

Comment

Pulling up your site, your doctype is actually on line 2 instead of line 1. This will not cause any issues at all with the way the page displays, but WC3 requires that your doctype be on line 1. Just remove the whitespace.

I believe your HTML issues are from line 9. What you have is

<!--[if (gt IE 9)|!(IE)]><!--> <html lang="en" class="no-js"> <!--<![endif]-->
        Your comment is being closed before the <html lang="en"..... Therefore it is being read as a second <HTML> tag, thus meaning you need to have it closed a second time at the end of your page.
        YOu need to remove the <!--> in the middle and then remove the <!-- before the <![endif]--> so the section can be properly removed from the source.

Hope that helps.
        Last edited by Gamelord; 11-19-13, 12:50 AM.
        Kent
        www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Amazingly helpful Kent. Thank you for your insight.
          Not sure how I am going to get that white space removed on line one but I was able to change the conditional that you talked about above. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.
          Maxanne
          Maxanne Durkee
          Facebook, Twitter, Blog

Comment

Working...
          X