Freight options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freight options?

Is there a module that allows for freight calculation? I've looked at freightcenter.com, but wonder if there already exists an option specifically designed for Miva. I'm talking about actual palletized freight.
    Thanks for your help,
    Jamie

Re: Freight options?

Built in the FedEx module supports FedEx Freight. There are many third party freight mods depending on which carrier you need.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks. I will probably go with freightcenter.com because they support ODFL.
      Thank you!

Comment

I've written shipping modules for a number of the freight carriers, including Old Dominion, Yellow Freight, Fedex Freight, and several others. I also wrote a module for a service called Advanced Shipping Manager, that provides access to a whole bunch of carriers with a single module. If any of these options are of interest, you can drop me a line by email to discuss the details.

Thanks --
        Kent Multer
        Magic Metal Productions
        http://TheMagicM.com
        * Web developer/designer
        * E-commerce and Miva
        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Rick.

Can someone tell me how the Fedex Freight calculator works? I turned it on and ran a test and the rate was very high. In thinking about it estimating by weight alone doesn't cut it with Freight carriers. The Freight Class, Dimensions and Accessorials (lift gate, inside delivery, etc) are all necessary data points for an accurate rate. The Freight Carriers also move the discounts around but you need a direct Freight account. On a related note, the Miva Fedex module offers 1, 2 and 3 Day Freight Service while Fedex Freight calls the services Fedex Freight Priority (AM or regular) and Fedex Freight Economy (AM or close of business). Why do they differ?
          Keith Oratz
          PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
          www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Hi Keith: We developed our own freight module because of the factors you mentioned. We include weight, class, NMFC code, lift gate, call before delivery, and destination type (business, residential, etc.) in our quote requests We get quotes from as many as 4 carriers depending on the ship from location. We have our own accounts with these shippers and because of that our rates are discounted at 80 to 85 percent. Also we have negotiated free residential delivery and lift gate service from a couple of them. We've been able to integrate this into the Miva checkout when shipping rates can be calculated there, as sometimes the items in the customer's cart cannot have a freight quote calculated. Those we have to do manually and then contact the customer to finalize the order. When a rate is calculated, they are displayed as shipping methods on the OSEL page so a customer can choose their quote. Took a while to develop (1 year +, with multiple versions of the module) but it works pretty well for us now. Larry
            Larry
            Luce Kanun Web Design
            www.facebook.com/wajake41
            www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by Keitho View Post
              Rick.

Can someone tell me how the Fedex Freight calculator works? I turned it on and ran a test and the rate was very high. In thinking about it estimating by weight alone doesn't cut it with Freight carriers. The Freight Class, Dimensions and Accessorials (lift gate, inside delivery, etc) are all necessary data points for an accurate rate. The Freight Carriers also move the discounts around but you need a direct Freight account. On a related note, the Miva Fedex module offers 1, 2 and 3 Day Freight Service while Fedex Freight calls the services Fedex Freight Priority (AM or regular) and Fedex Freight Economy (AM or close of business). Why do they differ?
              You can set the shipping dimensions w/in the product's 'FedEx Web Services Options' tab and some options are set in the shipping module settings under 'Shipment Defaults'.

I see what you mean about the shipping methods available in our module and I'm a little confused when I try to compare them to what is being offered from FedEx as well. I'll look into this some more and reply when I have more information on it.
              Jim McCormick
              Miva Merchant Support
              866-284-9812

Comment

Originally posted by Keitho View Post
                Rick.

Rick,

I'm sorry but it looks like the FedEx Web Services API does not support the "time-definite" freight type which is why those options are missing from our module:

http://www.fedex.com/us/developer/pr...-Services.html
                Jim McCormick
                Miva Merchant Support
                866-284-9812

Comment

Looks like they need to work on alignment of their offerings. :-(

Also, they offer additional services but Miva Admin only lets you set them as defaults, not during checkout. Even worse, the option for a lift-gate is missing, which is critical to us.

Guess its a non-starter for us...

Thanks.
                  Keith Oratz
                  PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                  www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Working...
                  X