Parallels Plesk Panel Email SPAM Filters are basically WORTHLESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parallels Plesk Panel Email SPAM Filters are basically WORTHLESS

More than a year has gone by since I started the thread: Spam Assassin spam filtering doesn't seem to work very well

Like most others in today's world I access my email using several devices on a daily basis. I use an HP/PC, Galaxy S cell phone as well as an IPad. This variety is important in that it shows that filtering must be done at the server in order to cover all bases.

William Davis started a new thread on this topic this past December: Can someone please recommend a great Anit-spam solution?

Unfortunately, neither of us or the others who contributed to the threads sharing our challenges have access to the MIVA/Hostasaurus server where email filtering must originate. If I am wrong, I hope that someone will be able to set me straight as the time that this issue takes is immeasurable.

I find it hard to believe that MIVA Merchant would allow something like this to go unattended when it concerns their productivity.
    Tom Young
    Hourglass Maker Since 1975
    http://www.tkyoung.com

Re: Parallels Plesk Panel Email SPAM Filters are basically WORTHLESS

Regarding the control panel solution; the issue is the underlying technology the control panel relies on, which is Spam Assassin. Spam Assassin is not particularly effective unless finely tuned for a given usage scenario. On a shared server, where there are customers of all kinds, it is not possible to perform such tuning as what could be good for one customer could be horrible for another.

Our recommendation for highly effective anti-spam technology continues to be what has been suggested in those other threads, which is to use third party products provided by companies whose sole purpose is to filter spam. A reasonable percentage of our customers use such products, or even host their email elsewhere such as with Microsoft, Google, etc., so increasing our hosting fees to provide a spam filtering product that not all customers would have otherwise been willing to pay for is not fair to those customers who do not need or want it.

Additionally, as I mentioned in the other threads, different third party solutions are priced in different ways, such as by mailbox, by volume of email, so on and so forth. We have some customers with hundreds of mailboxes, therefore their bill would be hundreds of dollars per month on a per-mailbox price schedule. We have other customers who get massive amounts of email, so they would be cheap on per-mailbox and incredibly expensive by volume. That leaves us needing to involve more than one company and trying to figure out which one is good for each customer on a per-instance basis, or charging more than we should overall so that some customers subsidize the expense we incur for others, which is not fair to them. Factor support into that, where our staff have to figure out which solution was implemented for a given customer before they can even begin troubleshooting a problem, and you end up with a issues from every angle.

If you are receiving a volume of spam great enough to impact your business productivity, then I would immediately sign up for Spam Soap which would likely not cost more than a few dollars per month. I recommended that in the other thread; it is a few dollars per month per mailbox so you'd be paying likely less than $20/month and it would likely immediately resolve the issue.

For those who only use regular email software and don't care about filtering in advance for access by webmail or devices, then Cloudmark continues to be great, and is either free or $19.95 one time for two computers depending on desired features: http://www.cloudmarkdesktop.com/en/home
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Tom, since you have multiple devices I would recommend going with a hosted Exchange provider (or whatever they are calling it these days) that filters on the server level. I use www.lanlogic.net (who previously used Postini and now uses Mailroute.net for virus/spam filtering). The benefits of this approach to me are the near immediate syncing of the devices and off-site backup. I access my email account from desktops at home and office, two laptops, and an android phone. In a pinch my staff and I can also use OWA (Outlook Web Access) on almost any device. Yes, each of our devices have local virus/spam protection but most is caught at the server level (I know because they send me an email daily of the quarantined messages).
      Keith Oratz
      PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
      www.preparesmart.com

Comment

**AHEM** -- Spamassassin works really well with CPanel/WHM, so it's not a default dog.
        Last edited by nottheusual1; 02-10-14, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X