Sales Tax Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax Module

We have a client in New York who needs us to setup his store to collect a different percentage of sales tax for each county (there are about 75 or so).

TaxCloud by e-business express seems like it will work for this. Does anyone use this module for this purpose?

Are there any other solutions that aren't very expensive - one that doesn't have a monthly fee?

Re: Sales Tax Module

I haven't seen another implementation of TaxCloud for Miva Merchant. Considering the module itself has no upfront costs, I don't think $9.95 a month for nationwide sales tax calculation is all that bad. It's possible you may be able to get another developer to create a module for a single cost if you are averse to perpetual monthly fees. TaxCloud is state-funded so the use of their APIs is completely free. Personally, I would love to see Miva put this in the core because it's a free service but I know their dancecard is fairly full at the moment with version 9.
    Jason Fancett
    America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
    Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
    Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

According to their webpage, it uses zip codes to calculate. So I was just curious if it will work for this particular customer or not. I agree, $10 per month isn't bad and definitely worth paying, I just want to make sure it works the way we need it to.

Comment

Zip codes cross county lines (at least they do in Florida) making it nearly impossible to be precise about collecting sales tax. We gave-up on that idea and now collect sales tax based on our store location instead of the delivery location. No one has complained so far and fortunately for us most of our products are considered "intangible goods" not subject to sales tax.
        Bill Dunn
        SunCam, Inc.
        http://www.SunCam.com
        [email protected]

Comment

Our AccurateTax module is already available for Miva Merchant. Although we do have a monthly fee, depending on the size of your business it may not be much. We have NO setup fees and NO long-term contracts to sign. And our service is based on the physical location of the store, which is necessary in NY (a zipcode doesn't always determine a tax rate in New York). We use latitude and longitude to be more specific than zipcodes. You can PM me or let me know if you'd like me to give you a call on Monday or whenever is convenient. Or ask me questions here if you'd like.

Thanks,
          Susan
          Susan Petracco
          NetBlazon

Like us on Facebook

Comment

In Florida the sales tax is calculated based on delivery County. Will AccurateTax do that?
            Bill Dunn
            SunCam, Inc.
            http://www.SunCam.com
            [email protected]

Comment

Bill, yes. AccurateTax handles every state, regardless of whether that state is based on county, zipcode, city, or some random undefinable geographic boundaries (like Washington state). BTW we're in Florida too, a couple hours south of you.

Also we offer free trial accounts if you'd like to try the service in your own store. You can sign up for a free trial at http://www.accuratetax.com/signup/ or just contact me and I'll get you rolling.
              Susan Petracco
              NetBlazon

Like us on Facebook

Comment

And though I don't have any direct experience with AccuTax, I think its important to point out that Susan and Pete (AKA Accutax) have been in the Merchant community for dozens of years.
                Bruce Golub
                Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce! Not quite "dozens" but it's been 15 years now...hard to believe!
                  Susan Petracco
                  NetBlazon

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X