Correctly rotate mobile phone pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correctly rotate mobile phone pictures

Preface: This is for a non-Miva Merchant website. Unless I can add their source code into my own project, referencing modules, add-ons, or MM built-in functionality are not workable options.

A problem I'm having more and more often is members taking their photo with a cell phone and uploading it to the website. However due to the nature of phones, what looks fine on their phone becomes rotated 90 degrees when viewing in the browser.

From what I've read it sounds like phones are designed to take pictures on their side. But if you take it portrait-style, the EXIF data will let the camera know which direction is up. But it's not taken into account via the browser so the photo is rotated to make one of the long edges up.

Does anyone have experience with this, or more importantly, a solve?

Thanks

Re: Correctly rotate mobile phone pictures

Would the CSS3 Transform property work? Bit unsure who's doing the rotation, though I saw a snippet that made the transform property into a control (jQuery) so you could rotate the pictures that you where viewing on the web page.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_transform.asp
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
      Would the CSS3 Transform property work? Bit unsure who's doing the rotation, though I saw a snippet that made the transform property into a control (jQuery) so you could rotate the pictures that you where viewing on the web page.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_transform.asp
      Thanks Bruce, but not really what I was hoping for. I wouldn't know ahead of time what images need to be rotated and which don't.

Comment

Hmm, I thought GD libraries could be used to read the EXIF data...not that I have any direct experience with that.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

None of the built-in tools read EXIF. The only way to read it is a tedious process of reading byte by byte, and looking up a long list of codes, counting varying byte sizes, and other brain teasers.

Comment

Working...
          X