Pulling in blog posts from Wordpress to your PROD page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling in blog posts from Wordpress to your PROD page

I've benefited over the years from many people here and wanted to share something that we've done at SPA-MART.com that others may be interested in. I've wanted to incorporate relevant content from our blog into the product page in our Miva store for a while and yesterday decided to tackle it.

The idea is to pull a specific feed from Wordpress and then display that subset on the PROD page in Miva Merchant. I elected to use the tags functionality inside of Wordpress to segment the posts with the related products, but you could possibly use categories as well. It comes down to two things: 1) Does Wordpress have the ability to push out a feed with that segmentation type? and 2) Can that segment identifier be communicated by Miva Merchant?

In our example, we are tagging each post with the relevant ProductIDs. A post can have multiple tags, so you can tag as many products as necessary in your blog post. Once you have tagged posts, you access the segmented feed with:

http://path.toyour.blog/tag/{TAGNAME}/feed/

For example, http://blog.spa-mart.com/tag/00NN1241/feed/ is the feed for all posts that reference productid 00NN1241 in our store.

With your feed set, now you just need a way to access the feed and display it on the PROD page. Probably like most of you, we've deployed jQuery so that's where my search started. After looking at a couple of options, I settled on FeedEk. It utilizes Google's Ajax Feed Loader so you can proxy content from another domain which is especially useful to keep that Wordpress installation off of your Miva Merchant server. Without the proxy, the browser will not load external content through javascript. That brings up another point: this content is delivered through AJAX after the page loads which means most search engines will not spider the content. That said, Google is making strides at spidering AJAX content and I hope the fact we used their feed loader will eventually get the content spidered.

FeedEk is pretty straight forward. It's on github at https://github.com/enginkizil/FeedEk. As you download, you really only need the FeedEk.js and FeedEk.css, in addition to the loading graphic. You will need to edit the FeedEk.js to change the default fallback feed and location of the loader graphic. The FeedEk.css is extremely straight forward and easily changed to match your site.

Step 1: Link the CSS file
    If you don't incorporate the CSS into your main file, link the CSS file.

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="//path.to/css/FeedEk.css">

Step 2: Include the Javascript files
    Personally, I prefer these in the bottom of the body of the page instead of the head tag. Just make sure jQuery is called first. Obviously, jQuery call is not necessary if you're already loading it.

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="//path.to/js/FeedEk.js"></script>

Step 3: Add the Placeholder DIV
    This is the container into which the blog feed will be placed. Everything inside will be replaced.

Code:
    <div id="divRss"></div>

Step 4: Call the Plugin
    This needs to be under the script call to FeedEk.js. By utilitzing &mvte:product:code; each product page will dynamically pull up the specific feed. If the rss feed contains no entries, the div will be empty. The attributes in the script are configurable as shown below. There are a couple more options as well that you can check out on the FeedEk site.

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">$(function () {
        $('#divRss').FeedEk({
            FeedUrl: 'http://path.toyour.blog/tag/&mvte:product:code;/feed/',
            MaxCount: 5,
            ShowDesc : true,
            ShowPubDate:true,
            DescCharacterLimit:200,
            TitleLinkTarget:'_blank'
        });
    });
    </script>

If you would like to see this in action, check out the following links:

http://store.spa-mart.com/p/00NN1241...-Purifier.html
    http://store.spa-mart.com/p/00GL7110...00---1-Qt.html
    http://store.spa-mart.com/p/00GL7129...s---25-lb.html

Our blog is currently under-utilized so this functionality is few and far between on our site at the moment. But I know some of you are really into blogging and could deploy something like this just by going into your blog posts and adding tags. As I mentioned earlier, you can really use any of Wordpress's segmentation types. I settled on single tags for the PROD page to make it very product specific. The API also supports sending multiple tags if that is something you felt you wanted to do for possibly main product in addition to related products. Categories, authors and even full-text searches can be used to craft feeds. More information on Wordpress feeds can be found at https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Feeds. I hope this helps anyone that was looking to tie their Wordpress-powered blog to their Miva Merchant store site.
    Jason Fancett
    America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
    Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
    Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Re: Pulling in blog posts from Wordpress to your PROD page

That's some very nice work. Thanks for posting.
    Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
    Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

Thanks JFancett! that's a really good write up on how to create value from existing content you already have. As we all know content is king and this is a good way of linking what you aready have. So Kudos to you for sharing.

I am not a wordpress expert, but is it possible to do this with a key phrase instead of the tag? We don't like to use too many tags or categories for our blog as it may be duplicate keyword/content for your products or categories.

Thanks
      Last edited by kitdang; 04-09-14, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kitdang View Post
        Thanks JFancett! that's a really good write up on how to create value from existing content you already have. As we all know content is king and this is a good way of linking what you aready have. So Kudos to you for sharing.

I am not a wordpress expert, but is it possible to do this with a key phrase instead of the tag? We don't like to use too many tags or categories for our blog as it may be duplicate keyword/content for your products or categories.

Thanks
        You would use the search term method of creating the feed. You would also need to decide on which piece of information inside the Miva Merchant catalog you want to pass in doing the full-text search. Could be product name, brand, category, or combination of different items. Maybe it's still the product codes if you referenced them in your post.

Instead of:
        Code:
        //path.toyour.blog/tag/&mvte:product:code;/feed/
        It would be:
        Code:
        //path.toyour.blog/?s=MivaGeneratedSearchText&feed=rss2
        Jason Fancett
        Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
        Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

Would anyone would like to comment of the implications of duplicate content?
          Richard Waters

www.MivaWebmaster.com
          [email protected]
          Tel: 541-943-3268

Comment

The way we've deployed this currently is via AJAX and it's not being indexed but that could very well change as the spiders get better. Also, in our template we're only linking out to our blog and providing 200 characters of digest. I would agree with your implied suggestion that it's not a great idea to be reproducing the entire blog posts. The thought process behind this is to alert visitors of a certain product page to related posts in our blog they may find useful in their purchase decision.
            Jason Fancett

Comment

Duplicate content is not about 'repeated' content. Its about google seeing one page, that contains the same content as another page. So, even re-using manufacturer's product descriptions, while not especially good for other reasons, will not incur a 'duplicate content' penalty.
              Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Just to update for anyone interested, it appears that Google is seeing this content that is brought into the PROD page as it is showing in the cached version of the page in the Google results.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I don't think that we'll suffer any duplicate content penalty as we've got it constructed with only a 200 characters digest, but you should know that the method being used here apparently allows Google to see the content.
                Jason Fancett

Comment

Thank you as this is a very interesting topic. Our site has similar issue so we did a lot of work around this.....

I believed as long as the content is fresh and are related to the same topic, it should be fine. For those that focus too much on seo and keep using the same key words will have a potential issue. In short, make it as easy as possible for google to serve up pages that matches search terms. If you have the same term optimized in two diff pages, it will make google confused on which page to serve up. Understanding topics and terms on building pages is the best way to optimize site post-(panda,penguin, and hummingbird).

Comment

Oh forgot to let you (JFancett) know that I will play around with your suggestion when I get a chance. Thanks for the recommendation

Comment

Jason, thank you for posting your work for all of us to learn from.
                      Kristin Park

Comment

Working...
                      X