Site and Support Portal not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Site and Support Portal not responding

Mine are all back, someone must have found and restored them, thanks!!
    Looking for work as of March 2024! I've been a web developer for going on 20 years, with most of that time spent on Miva sites.

Comment

Yes, interested to know if this is related to that last site down situation that happened a few weeks ago. Getting calls from clients also.
      Holly Nelson, CEO of 2C Development Group
      www.2cdevgroup.com
      @2cdevelopment

Comment

No this is not related to any previous issues. The only other recent issue that was system wide was during Heartbleed, when by definition in order to protect us against Heartbleed, we had to restart all the servers one by one, which means some (but small) downtime.

This had to do with a throughput issue on our SAN, which much like when flights get cancelled and you end up with a backlog to push through gets very difficult to catch up and fix.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks Rick, for letting us know. Appreciate the transparency. Hey, things happen in the digital world. China doesn't make it any easier. Saying prayers for ya'll.
          Last edited by 2CDev; 05-22-14, 12:23 PM.
          www.2cdevgroup.com
          @2cdevelopment

Comment

All our sites are back up! Thanks Jen and David and the crew!
            Highly caffeinated
            http://www.coffeehouseexpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by x2jones View Post
              We're down as well....on and off all morning but consistently now for over an hour. I'm sorry to say that this is the fourth time in a couple months that our site has been down. Before that, we were hosted by Hostasaurus who was bought out by MIVA. We haven't had a problem in the last 4 years, until now. I am told that the problems last month were due to a "bad site" on my shared server. Then it was a heartbleed/SSL related issue. Today I was told that the serves are fine; its an issue with the connection of those servers to the internet. Either way, our numbers are suffering. :(
              Please message me your website; there should not be any down related to this morning's issue as of 2:23 PM EST. I'll ensure it's looked at immediately.

Regarding shared hosting, unfortunately, even with close monitoring, there exists the possibility that a site will get attacked with requests that look legitimate, a customer may make a change that causes a site application to do something very bad (such as an infinite loop that allocates memory each time around), so on and so forth, which can cause an overload or outage condition on the server. Some of these simply cannot be prevented while also allowing customer applications to function normally and with optimum performance when there is not an issue at hand. We attempt to respond as quickly as possible when an issue of that nature does occur. If it is a recurring event with a particular customer's site that causes downtime for others sharing the server, we will ultimately require they move to a dedicated to continue hosting with us, to ensure continued issues can only hurt their own site.

Regarding Heartbleed; certain servers had very specific configurations that required some downtime to patch, rather than leaving things vulnerable while working on it. Unfortunately that vulnerability was extremely serious and remotely exploitable, so an emergency outage was unavoidable in those instances. All the appropriate staff worked through those servers as fast as they could.
              David Hubbard
              CIO
              Miva
              [email protected]
              http://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                Some sites are back up, but it's taking longer than expected. And yes David and Jen deserve a drink after this one.
                And a bucket of hot wings also. I was unaware of this thread until Laura told me about it. if there is ever going to be an issue, there is no better place to be than with these guys. Been here a long time and this by far this is the4 best place to be.
                Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
                Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

Being down stinks, for sure. But one thing I've learned over the (Hostasaurus) years is that when David and Jen are on it.. they are on it. It will get fixed as soon as possible and in my experience it gets fixed right. I also applaud Rick for the transparency and having this forum up so that we could quickly find there was a major issue and that it was being worked on.

I hate to put this on you Rick.. but free drinks for everyone (yourself included)!

DT

Comment

I hate to put this on you Rick.. but free drinks for everyone (yourself included)!
                    We're talking about getting a keg in the kitchen, today would've been the day for that
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]
                    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
                      Getting close to resolution. I'll post more shortly.
                      Thanks for getting my site back up, hopefully you find the cause and are able to fix it.
                      Gary
                      www.Jagbits.com

Comment

Rick, I would have shipped out some peanuts and pretzels with cheese sauce and a slow cooker of cocktail weenies.
                        www.2cdevgroup.com
                        @2cdevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by Datagg View Post
                          And a bucket of hot wings also. I was unaware of this thread until Laura told me about it. if there is ever going to be an issue, there is no better place to be than with these guys. Been here a long time and this by far this is the4 best place to be.
                          Hello,

for what it's worth I couldn't agree more with this. I own hotsaucepimp.com and I used to host it at Godaddy and I did that just to see if I could get it to run in their environment because it was dirt cheap. Long story short I had it running at Godaddy for about a year until some change they made broke the way Empresa works and my site was down for about a week before I decided to move it over to Miva Merchant. Multiple tickets and calls to Godaddy led no where. Cheaper isn't always better and better isn't always cheaper.
                          Rafael Buelna
                          Miva Support Engineer
                          800.608.MIVA (24/7 Support)
                          http://www.miva.com/support

Comment

Not sure if I missed it, was there ever a post about exactly what caused the outage?
                            Looking for work as of March 2024! I've been a web developer for going on 20 years, with most of that time spent on Miva sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike521w View Post
                              Not sure if I missed it, was there ever a post about exactly what caused the outage?
                              Hello,

Rick posted about that on this thread:

http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...776#post420776
                              Rafael Buelna
                              Miva Support Engineer
                              800.608.MIVA (24/7 Support)
                              http://www.miva.com/support

Comment

Working...
                              X