deleting a record in mysql based on a string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleting a record in mysql based on a string

I have a delete function working right up until the field value has a character like a #. Then the record won't be deleted.

The field is defined as char(50).

'DELETE FROM ' $ g.Store_Table_Prefix $ 'tblname WHERE strdata = ?'

test 1 is deleted
    test #1 is not deleted

And, it makes sense that I can't find the record and pull into my form to do an update.

I actually don't care either way to use or invalidate special character. But, using isalnum() doesn't like spaces either. I don't think that would be a problem either. But, seems like I should just fix the query instead.

Do I need to escape those characters for this to work? If so, is there a way to automatically escape chars I don't know is being used in the query?

Or, is there something I am missing?

BTW: I am not current using any indexing in this table. I was planning on recoding to use a unique index on this field.

Thanks.

Scott
    Last edited by ids; 05-28-14, 10:47 AM.
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Re: deleting a record in mysql based on a string

Variable values that contain hash characters (#) in SQL don't need to be quoted, but literals and field names probably do (according to MySQL docs).

What MySQL error are you getting? Have you tried it from something like PHPMyAdmin (to rule out Miva Script errors)?
    Gordon Currie
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Haven't tried yet in the console, but that is a good idea.

No errors at runtime.

How does the literal get quoted?

This is what I have:

HTML Code:
      <MvQUERY NAME	= "Merchant"
      			 QUERY	= "{ 'DELETE FROM ' $ g.Store_Table_Prefix $ 'tblname WHERE strdata = ?' }"
      			 FIELDS	= "l.delvalue">
      I have tried this yet, but would be this? Where the ? is "?" instead?

HTML Code:
      <MvQUERY NAME	= "Merchant"
      			 QUERY	= "{ 'DELETE FROM ' $ g.Store_Table_Prefix $ 'tblname WHERE strdata = "?"' }"
      			 FIELDS	= "l.delvalue">
      Scott
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration

Comment

Scott:

Sorry, I meant that if the field NAME had a # in it, it would need to be quoted/escaped.

I see no reason why a variable value containing a # does not work. MySQL doesn't preclude it.

STANDARDOUTPUTLEVEL="" in this function? Grasping at straws, you should try it in PHPMyAdmin...
        Gordon Currie

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

p.s. it's best to use a unique key to delete. Are you certain that the value of the strdata field is unique? If there were two records with that value, then that would explain why it is not being deleted (althought you would get an error).
          Gordon Currie

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Solved it. Turns out, since I was passing the value via url, that the url was malformed.

Scott

Comment

Excuse me while I cringe from an uncontrolled case of hebbie-jebbies...

You're passing an unfiltered, unsanitized, and otherwise uncontrolled value from a URL into your SQL database? Specifically into a DELETE statement?

Please tell me I'm missing something from this scenario.

Comment

Yes, you don't have the whole picture.

Comment

Working...
                X