Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

editor and compiler in one?

Hi all,
    Every year or so I post essentially the same question, hoping for a new answer (is that insanity?)

Here goes:
    Does anyone know of a replacement for MvTools ( www.papercitysoftware.com ) by R. Jackson Wilson?

I would love to get my hands on an editor that also has a built in function to compile a script and if there are errors, show them.

MvTools was way ahead of its time, but now its way behind... I first used in on Windows 95...
    And its never been updated. It sill works great on windows 7 or below - but running Crossover (a great piece of software by the way) on my Mac makes it buggy. It tends to just lock up on me.

I find it hard to believe that the developers of modules and scripts (including Miva in-house folks) still use a text editor, and then switch to the compiler and then back again. It is a not an efficient use of time.

Bill
    William Gilligan - Orange Marmalade, Inc.
    www.OrangeMarmaladeinc.com

Re: editor and compiler in one?

I've always used EditPlus to do all my editing, and then use the built-in "Tools" function to assign compiling to a hot-key. Ctrl-1 is compile, Ctrl-2 is compile with DEF code, Ctrl-5 through 9 are CVS functions (although I need to convert them over to git now)

Comment

Same with Notepad ++ and TextPad BTW.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

I guess I'm another throwback. I just have separate Windows open on my screen for the text editor, DOS command line to run the compiler, and FTP to upload the new file. After hitting Ctrl-S to save the file, it only takes me 5 mouse clicks and 2 keypresses to run thru the whole cycle and get to the browser for debugging.

I think there are some open-source IDE tools (the name "Eclipse" comes to mind) that can be easily configured to provide an edit/compile/test environment for any programming language. Maybe one of those would work well for Miva Script.

If any of the MMCorp in-house developers are reading this, I'd be curious to know what hardware and software you use? Are you all on Linux boxes?

Thanks --
        Kent Multer
        Magic Metal Productions
        http://TheMagicM.com
        * Web developer/designer
        * E-commerce and Miva
        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

To elaborate as well, we mainly use TextPad (NotePad++ when we do PHP), run the compiler with a command macro (one key combination) and have filezilla set to upload the compiled file when its saved. Can't think of anything simpler...would be nice to have better local debugging tools...but hey...
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

I'm using EditPad Pro which is a paid, but fairly low cost editor, and have set up a compile menu option. Editor captures stdout so any compile errors show in editor.
            I have considered going to pspad as it's free, and can provide nice document navigation plus the ability to set up nice dialogs for population of parameters for functions or tags.
            It also supports VBscript to write macros, so there's not much you can't do with it.
            Christopher Cookson
            Create IT Powered by Webpression CMS

Comment

I have been using Vim for everything lately.
              PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
              We built the most Miva Merchant stores!
              Miva shopping cart design & integration service and our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
              web: www.pcinet.com

"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
              Quarry Worker's Creed

Comment

I do the same as virtualkiwi with different setup. I use a Coda and a MAC (with parallels so I can run windows and windows software). You can setup hotkey combos to execute what you would normally have to type. So once setup it speeds certain repetitive tasks considerable.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakbabe View Post
                  I do the same as virtualkiwi with different setup. I use a Coda and a MAC (with parallels so I can run windows and windows software). You can setup hotkey combos to execute what you would normally have to type. So once setup it speeds certain repetitive tasks considerable.
                  I am interested in this.
                  I run Crossover (which is similar to Parallels) but had not heard of coda. It looks pretty robust.

Does Coda have the ability to run the compiler?
                  How do you handle that part?

I switched to Mac some years ago, and I have been able to get away from Windows completely except for two programs...
                  The compiler and Shipworks.

Comment

Originally posted by wmgilligan View Post
                    Does Coda have the ability to run the compiler?
                    How do you handle that part?
                    Parallels has a mode where you can run pc and mac programs side by side in neighboring windows. to the user at the computer it is seamless, if I didn't "know" which operating system the software used, I wouldn't know which os it was executing it. Parallels allows cut and paste between the two operating systems in this mode.

You can use the mac hotkeys to execute an assigned applescript (basically one hot key to do a batch file of commands). Panic has a coda faq and describes how to do this. If your vm allows access from the mac os.. then you can probably do it. I am not familiar with crossover at all, so I can not give you a specific answer for that.
                    Last edited by kayakbabe; 06-18-14, 12:28 PM.

Comment

you can see
                      http://download.parallels.com/deskto...;s%20Guide.pdf
                      page 152 for the how to with parallels..
                      maybe crossover will allow something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by kayakbabe View Post
                        Parallels has a mode where you can run pc and mac programs side by side in neighboring windows. to the user at the computer it is seamless, if I didn't "know" which operating system the software used, I wouldn't know which os it was executing it. Parallels allows cut and paste between the two operating systems in this mode.

You can use the mac hotkeys to execute an assigned applescript (basically one hot key to do a batch file of commands). Panic has a coda faq and describes how to do this. If your vm allows access from the mac os.. then you can probably do it. I am not familiar with crossover at all, so I can not give you a specific answer for that.

hmmm... cut and paste?
                        That won't work.
                        Even with locking up, using crossover I can simply run the program, code away, and when ready, click the "compile" button.
                        Once complete I can ftp it to the server.

No multiple windows, no cut/paste, just the single program running inside. the mac - and I can do everything else as well.

I am really surprised that no one from Miva has chimed in.
                        I mean - how do they code? I know they use macs, they are in the videos they post.

Comment

Jon is out this week on vacation, I'll ask him to chime in next week when he's back.
                          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                          CEO
                          Miva, Inc.
                          [email protected]
                          https://www.miva.com

Comment

hmmm... cut and paste?
                            That won't work.
                            I wasn't saying you had to do that, just that parallels allows for that. I think it's neat to cut out of mac pages, numbers, email etc and paste into any microsoft os only product running on windows.

Once complete I can ftp it to the server.
                            I thought you were compiling locally, and not using your remote server. Using Miva Mia cuts out that ftp step during testing.
                            Coda allows for not 'leaving the program' too. It can be set to sync up directories, works with git or subversion (if you do versioning), and with scripting hotkeys, you can do a bunch without ever leaving it. Sounds like your preferred editng program can do that too. I hadn't heard of what you are using before. Do you have a link to it?
                            Last edited by kayakbabe; 06-19-14, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
                              To elaborate as well, we mainly use TextPad (NotePad++ when we do PHP), run the compiler with a command macro (one key combination) and have filezilla set to upload the compiled file when its saved. Can't think of anything simpler...would be nice to have better local debugging tools...but hey...
                              I use this exact setup. I also uploaded Textpad clip libraries and syntax coloring for mivascript .mv and .mvt files to their website (a bit out of date now)
                              Ray Yates
                              "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
                              --- Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Working...
                              X