Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business/Residential Address Verification

Hey guys,

I have an issue with regards to orders that require freight shipment.

We have it set up where products that exceed a certain size has to be shipped by freight. Whenever this occurs, customers are prompted with the required option of whether they are shipping the product to a business or residential address. If they're shipping to residential, a $100 fee is added on while the fee is waived if shipping to business.

We do regular shipping through UPS, but freight shipments are done by different groups.

We want to prevent customers from trying to cheat out of paying the $100 by selecting business and then inputting their home address. So we obviously need something to verify that the address being shipped to is business or residential.

Looking around at past threads, there were some who noted using UPS Ready Tool as a means of providing the verification check. What I haven't been able to figure out is if all of our shipments, including freight, must then be going through UPS only to use Ready Tool. That's not what we want, so I want to make sure if this is the case.

I would also like to know if any one has found an alternate module or program that would help us out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Business/Residential Address Verification

I don't know of any service that can tell you whether an address is residential or not. But there's a partial fix that is used by some of the Viking shipping modules, and possibly others. What you do is put a checkbox or other input on the OCST page, so that customers have to specify whether the address is residential, right on this page. DON'T mention that residential may cost more. Then on the OSEL page, you just display the shipping cost, based on what the customer selected.

HTH --
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Vista: Do you have a UPS account? If so their UPS Street-level validation API can tell you if the address is business or residential. See this post for more on UPS street level validation: http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...t=street+level
      Larry
      Luce Kanun Web Design
      www.facebook.com/wajake41
      www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

wajake41:

Would the API require me to have my shipments, including freight, done through UPS? We generally don't use UPS for freights unless our usual methods don't work out.

Comment

The street level address API requires your UPS login, password and an AccessLicenseNumber. If you have a UPS account you can use the API. We use it on the Merchant confirmation email to clue us that a ship to address may be invalid.
          We do not ship with UPS exclusively.
          If UPS gives us a flag on the address, we show this link in the Confirmation: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action to attempt to get the correct address.
          Larry
          Last edited by wajake41; 09-12-14, 11:54 AM.
          Larry
          Luce Kanun Web Design
          www.facebook.com/wajake41
          www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Thanks, Larry! Will definitely be looking into this and perhaps using it soon enough.

Comment

Working...
            X