PayPal Pro vs Chase Paymentech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal Pro vs Chase Paymentech

We are considering switching from Chase Paymentech to PayPal Pro to process all of our online credit card payments. Was wondering if any other merchants who switched from Chase Paymentech to PayPal Pro would share their experience? We also use PayPal Express on our site. Anything to watch out for? I find it pretty painless to reconcile deposit/refunds on our bank statements against batches using Chase's Orbital Virtual Terminal. Does PayPal have something similar? Is there a way to distinguish between PayPal Express Orders vs. those using credit/debit cards? Do you find PayPal to be a reliable gateway? Any feedback posted to this thread or via PM would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    Bronson Design Studio, LLC
    Facebook: facebook.com/bronsondesign

Re: PayPal Pro vs Chase Paymentech

Hi, I switched from Authorize.net to Paypal Pro (advanced) . . . problems galore with missing paypal orders using that module. I finally just use Paypal express with notes all over the checkout page on how to use credit cards on Paypal without an account.

Comment

Originally posted by lea-ann View Post
      Hi, I switched from Authorize.net to Paypal Pro (advanced) . . . problems galore with missing paypal orders using that module. I finally just use Paypal express with notes all over the checkout page on how to use credit cards on Paypal without an account.
      Thanks for the reply. How long ago was it that you experienced the problems with lost PayPal orders using PayPal Pro? I've read about problems on these forums with Payflow Pro 5 or 6 years ago. From what I can gather, PayPal bought out Payflow Pro which evolved into PayPal Pro - is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by papi34 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. How long ago was it that you experienced the problems with lost PayPal orders using PayPal Pro? I've read about problems on these forums with Payflow Pro 5 or 6 years ago. From what I can gather, PayPal bought out Payflow Pro which evolved into PayPal Pro - is that right?
        I'd say since the first of the year. Paypal Pro (Advanced) accepted payments just fine, but the order wasn't returned to Miva, just sat in an open basket which I would have to go in and try and retrieve via an emporium lost baskets module and hope it hadn't been deleted. I don't know about the logistics of who owns payflow. I worked and worked with Miva support and escalated it with no luck. I finally just gave up and stopped using it. Almost every other credit card payment was missing by that time but they couldn't replicate it.

Comment

Originally posted by lea-ann View Post
          Paypal Pro (Advanced) accepted payments just fine, but the order wasn't returned to Miva, just sat in an open basket which I would have to go in and try and retrieve via an emporium lost baskets module and hope it hadn't been deleted.
          Yikes, that does not sound like a good situation. Miva Support couldn't even figure out was wrong? Now I'm getting nervous...

Comment

PayPal Pro is not the same thing as PayPal Advanced and neither are the same thing as PayFlow Pro by PayPal (I know it's confusing).

PayPal Pro is a traditional API gateway and should never ever have the issue above. PayPal Advanced uses PayFlow Link Hosted which iFrames in a checkout screen. The benefit of PayPal Advanced is that it takes you out of PCI Scope, but in very very rare circumstances you can have an issue like was described.

So if you're considering PayPal Payments Pro vs Chase Paymentech, the first question I'd ask is why? Is it pricing or something else?

If it's pricing, talk to Chase, they might cut your pricing. If it's something else, then let me know and I'll do my best to answer?
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
              PayPal Pro is not the same thing as PayPal Advanced and neither are the same thing as PayFlow Pro by PayPal (I know it's confusing). If it's pricing, talk to Chase, they might cut your pricing.
              Thanks for clearing up the differences between all the PayPalisms Rick; it is confusing! Reason for the potential change is pricing. PayPal made an aggressive offer to try to win our credit card processing business. We are in discussions with Chase to see what they can do to cut costs. Just soliciting feed back from the community on other merchants' thoughts regarding PayPal Pro. Due diligence is all. Been pretty happy with Chase Paymentech, but we're always looking for ways to reduce expenses.

Comment

Got it, for the record I like both a lot.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

Can't speak to using PayPal as a processor but am very happy with the PayPal HERE dongle for offsite events. I've used it on an iPad via wifi and on an Android phone via both wifi and cell data with rock solid performance. Best part is the single level pricing. The flat 2.7 percent comes out pretty close to the total of the transaction cost and innumerable other fees on our statements. It's also paid in realtime so when a customer pays we get an email within seconds confirming not just the charge but actually deposited in our PayPal balance (Bing! You've got cash!). We also didn't have to set up another processor since we take PayPal in the Miva store.
                  Keith Oratz
                  PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                  www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Working...
                  X