Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

links going to wrong page

www.wunderwurks.com

If you click on the Chandeliers category and then go to one of the sub-category products, you get redirected to a page of different products. The URL, however, is correct for the product you're SUPPOSED to be directed to. We've gone through our category trees and nothing has changed since the last time it worked. We created a New Chandeliers category as a test, and the same thing happens yet it goes to a different product category this time. If you pay attention to the sub-categories on the left, you may notice breaks between the category and the first sub-cat. These breaks cannot be found in the source code. Any ideas? Is this just something on Miva's end? We've submitted multiple tickets and haven't gotten any answers.

Thanks!

Re: links going to wrong page

Not something on Miva Merchant's end, has to do with the customizations made to this display/store. Extremely difficult to diagnose without seeing the specifics but there is a <br> tag causing the gap between the parent and sub. I am guessing you would not want that <br> tag if it is the first subcat listed under a parent. This could be managed with template conditionals, or a more modern method would be CSS. As for the links really can't say without knowing exactly how it is setup and if any 3rd party modules are involved.

There are a number of red flag popping up in terms of the HTML/CSS in use. Not seeing a doctype declared, along with a lot of inline css mixed with outdated and malformed HTML: http://validator.w3.org

All of this can contribute to browser inconsistencies.

Comment

Your subcategories don't seem to be subcategories but products assigned to the category. Without seeing the backed hard to point out the problem.
      Andreas Toman
      PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
      We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
      Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
      web: www.pcinet.com
      LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
      phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

so the validator found tons of errors all over the site. I didn't actually write the CSS, someone who no longer works here did, and I don't know enough about it to know what I'm really looking at. I've learned to navigate the miva interface and understand how that stuff works, but the CSS is a little beyond me. I'm supposed to be working here as an artist, not a programmer.

The strange thing is, the website worked perfectly for years and only recently presented this error. I have been making some changes to the front page, but only replacing images, not changing any of the real code. I thought maybe I did something I didn't understand, but after resetting the site to its last known working version, the new errors were still there. I believe it has something to do with the miva backend because we had nothing to do with how it handles its category trees, we simply made categories, attached products to those categories, and as far as i know, miva makes the connections. Nothing has changed in the part we have control over, and I've tried moving some things around and renaming products and categories, but nothing works.

Comment

Originally posted by PCINET - Andreas View Post
          Your subcategories don't seem to be subcategories but products assigned to the category. Without seeing the backed hard to point out the problem.
          Yes, they are products with different attributes. I used the word subcategory but that was not entirely accurate

Comment

I've learned to navigate the miva interface and understand how that stuff works, but the CSS is a little beyond me. I'm supposed to be working here as an artist, not a programmer.
            Without seeing the specific setup, it's going to be difficult for anyone to assist. If the powers that be are willing to hire an experienced Miva Merchant developer, that is going to be your best bet based on your statements.

Comment

Originally posted by wunderwurks View Post

The strange thing is, the website worked perfectly for years and only recently presented this error.
              That's one of the reasons you want to make sure your page code (HTML/CSS/JS) is reasonably valid. (Note, validators put up lots of errors that can be safely ignored.)

If you have bad page code, one little change can make an entire page stop working. If you have good page code, then usually only a small area of the page is affected.
              Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
              X