Multiple currency display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple currency display

Can anyone suggest a good way to display multiple currencies in a store. Be that just having another price in another currency along side US$ or some way of customers selecting a currency and all prices chnaging.

I have found Currency magic, Dynamic Converter Pro. Are there others and has anyone used them?

Thanks
    Richard Waters

www.MivaWebmaster.com
    [email protected]
    Tel: 541-943-3268

Re: Multiple currency display

I can recommend Currency Magic by Kent Multer. We used it at a couple clients and works as promised.
    Andreas Toman
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com
    LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
    phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

Thanks, is there a store where I can see it in action?
      Richard Waters

www.MivaWebmaster.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Here's one store that uses Currency Magic:

http://www.polishposter.com/Merchant...ory_Code=OTHER

The currency menu is near the upper right corner.
        Kent Multer
        Magic Metal Productions
        http://TheMagicM.com
        * Web developer/designer
        * E-commerce and Miva
        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

This looks like what I want, thanks Kent
          Richard Waters

www.MivaWebmaster.com
          [email protected]

Comment

I have sent a couple of emails privately to Kent, but got no reply. Can anyone answer this:

What happens at checkout with the currency Magic module. Will it try to charge in the selected currency and send that currency to the gateway or is it just displaying the currency to customers and will send to the gateway/charge in dollars (default currency)?
            Richard Waters

www.MivaWebmaster.com
            [email protected]

Comment

Just displaying what the person who places the order will be charged in their currency but the actual charge will be in USD unless you got a gateway for multiple currencies.
              Andreas Toman
              PCINET, LLC

Comment

Andreas is correct. Currency Magic only changes the way prices are displayed. It never changes any of the actual numbers in the database, and has no effect on payment processing. -- at least for the moment. I'm just starting a custom project that will involve passing the currency code to a payment module, so that the store can actually charge the customer in their chosen currency. Anyone else who's interested in that is welcome to drop me a line.

Thanks --
                Kent Multer
                Magic Metal Productions
                * Web developer/designer
                * E-commerce and Miva

Comment

OK Thanks. I am trying to fully understand this before offering it to the client.
                  So the module just "displays" the rate depending on the manually entered rate or the automated lookup rate form yahoo for instance, and then displays prices & shipping charges etc in the currency that the customer has chosen. Miva actually sends the order total to the gateway in dollars.
                  So the customer's credit card company will do the actual currency exchange and they will use their own rate which may vary from the displayed rate, plus add in any other charges for a foreign currency transaction.

So the reality is what the store displays is only an estimate as their credit card company has their own rate and possibly extra charges.
                  If so then some info may need to be added to the company policies page so customers know it's only just an estimate. Unless stated, customers might get annoyed by the fact that their invoice says one thing, but the actual credit card charge is another.

Am I right on this?
                  Richard Waters

www.MivaWebmaster.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

good idea to make the customer aware of the exchange rate and foreign transaction fees. Those fees depend on the card you are using some even don't charge foreign transaction fees.
                    Andreas Toman
                    PCINET, LLC

Comment

Let me clarify a couple of points. Currency Magic only changes how prices are displayed to customers. Internally, the store continues to use its native currency for everything, including payment processing. The gateway will process the transaction in the native currency; it won't "know" that the customer was viewing prices in some other form.

There are some gateways that can actually process transactions in different currencies, if the store sends them the right kind of message. Currency Magic does not do that -- yet. As it happens, I'm just starting on a custom project to do that for one client. If anyone else is interested in this, drop me a line; I expect to make it available as a standard feature at some point.

Either way, the prices that the module displays are based on an exchange rate that came from somewhere: read from a Web site, or entered manually. Exchange rates vary all the time, and different banks and businesses may not all use the same rate. So yes, it's a good idea to put some advisory text on a page somewhere, telling the customer that these prices are estimates.

Thanks --
                      Kent Multer
                      Magic Metal Productions
                      * Web developer/designer
                      * E-commerce and Miva

Comment

BTW: Most transaction fees for foreign currency is borne by the merchant, not the customer.
                        Bruce Golub
                        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                        X