Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attributes and Categories - need help

We sell rugs.

Rugs can come in different designs and different sizes.

SO I could have a red Checked rug in 2x4, 4x6, 7x8, 8x10 and a runner.
    I could have a green circles rug in 2x4, 4x6, 7x8, 8x10 and a runner.

I intended to create a RED RUG Product with attributes for the different sizes. The same for a Green Circles rug.

It was pointed out to me that when people look for rugs they first look for the size (2x4, 4x6) etc. because they want to fit a space. Within those sizes they look for a color or design.

Is it possible to have categories that could contain certain variations of the rug - that is, is it possible for me to somehow select all the 2x4 rugs and put them into category 2x4?

If not - would I create a 2x4 rug and have a variant from every family (color, design)? That seems like a lot of work.

Or do I just create 1000s of products 2x4_green_circles, 2X4_red_squares etc. and then just put them in the different categories?

This is a perplexing problem In a way.

Thanks in advance,
    Sam

Re: Attributes and Categories - need help

to be more clear
    If I created an attribute that was a drop down 2x4, would I be able to force that attribute on when rugs belonged to the category 2x4?
    Or would I create variants and then somehow - I dont know how yet - select certain variants from each rug family and put them in the 2x4 category?

Thanks again,
    Sam

Comment

Re: Attributes and Categories - need help

I don't think you can assign a variant to a category without the master product. But you can create a category for each size, and then assign all the products that are available in that size. When customers arrive at the product page, they will just manually select the desired size ... although come to think of it, you might be able to do something clever with the links to make sure that the desired size is pre-selected on the attribute menu

Also, I have a search module that can do searches by attribute, e.g. find all the rugs that have "2x4" as one of the available options. It's a "semi-custom" module that I've provided to several different stores. If you're interested in that, you can email me to discuss it.
      Kent Multer
      Magic Metal Productions
      http://TheMagicM.com
      * Web developer/designer
      * E-commerce and Miva
      * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Working...
      X