Not too thrilled with Image Management, Delete Unreferenced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too thrilled with Image Management, Delete Unreferenced

I heard about this at the MIVACON in Atlanta so thought I would give it a look see.

It reported 109 unreferenced images and looking down the list, I could see where they seemed to make sense for products that we have deleted from the store so I let it delete them.

Later I found that it also deleted images that were being used in other places in the store - like top category pages and other places so I had to replace the ones that were obvious and who knows what other image "holes" we have in the store now.

The Miva Support site says "If the Reference Count for an image is 0, that means the images is not being used."

Maybe it should say something like this instead:

"If the Reference Count for an image is 0, that means the image is not being used by a product as a thumbnail image, full sized image or additional image. However even though the reference count for an image is zero, that image may be used elsewhere in the store in other places (such as category pages) so you better look at them carefully to be sure you don't delete images you need in other places or you are going to have image "holes" in your store like JoseIbarra".

I understand that the feature is working as designed, but at least for me, it is not working as desired.

Remind me never to use that again.
    Last edited by joseibarra; 10-31-14, 12:15 AM.

Re: Not too thrilled with Image Management, Delete Unreferenced

...and I don't suppose there is any good way for me to tell which images in the store do not exist on the file server or is there?

Comment

Originally posted by joseibarra View Post
      ...and I don't suppose there is any good way for me to tell which images in the store do not exist on the file server or is there?
      Perhaps your host can restore all of the image files from a backup performed before you executed the cleanup routine.

Paul
      Paul

Comment

For the images that were in use and went missing; are we talking about images that were hand coded into page templates via html code, or a situation where the same image file was used in multiple dialog boxes within Merchant, such as specifying the same image file for a product as well as for the category tree image of a category?
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

I've already added too many other images to let them restore sol backup from yesterday.

I will let Xenu will figure it out for me - that only takes about 7 hours to run on our store of 25,000+ products but does a very good job - better than third party product we have paid for.

Comment

We've been discussing this thread internally and are going to add some features in a future update to solve your pain on this one. We think with Ready Themes and our new Image Selector in Version 9, this is going to become a more common pain point, so we'll solve it.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

There was one image in particular that went missing that was quite unique and nobody here can imagine that it was used as a product image or addition image - as far as we can remember that image was only in one place for one thing and it got deleted.

The image file name looked similar to other images that got deleted - but I can't undo the delete (and that is fine) and there is no log (might consider that too some how).

Thanks for looking into it.

Comment

Joselbarra, your hoster should be able to restore the images from a backup, but put them in a different folder. Then you can go through that folder to find any images that you still need.

HTH --
                Kent Multer
                Magic Metal Productions
                http://TheMagicM.com
                * Web developer/designer
                * E-commerce and Miva
                * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

We have about 40,000+ products and 113 separate images folders - at least one folder per manufacturer for images/PDFs.

I ran a Xenu report and if reported all the referenced images that were missing so I think we are good to go now. Fortunately we have a development site and I could just get the missing images from there and copy them to the live store. Just had to get a list of them first.

Some of the missing ones were in the strangest places and I know we were not using any Image Engine stuff on some of those categories, but I think we are all better now.

Thanks for the ideas and help.
                  Last edited by joseibarra; 11-01-14, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X