Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Dynamic Codes

Hello,
    We sell items that come in different sizes and colors.

The color red in a certain design could have a major product code like 123456
    The color GREEN could have major product code of 78910

If it is size A - the manufacturer prepends A to the product code - so the order would be for A123456 for color red, size A
    If the order is for size B - the code is B123456

There are many colors, and many sizes.

If I create Attributes for Sizes for Product red then I would have a dropdown for sizes A, B, C etc. and when a customer selected size B, I need to dynamically generate the ordering number B123456

In the same way if they chose the Green product (78910) and selected size A, I have to generate a code A78910

Is there a way to take something that could be an attribute code and concatenate it with some other code to create a manufacturer code that we could use for ordering?

Am I approaching this problem in the most efficient way? Is there another way to approach the problem?

Thanks
    Sam

Re: Creating Dynamic Codes

You can't do it dynamically, however Miva has a way for you to pass the variant product code (or SKU) to the order.

You first need to generate inventory variants which is essentially all the attribute (size and color) combination for your product. When these are generated, a unique product code will be created for each specific size and color.

We have a module that will take the variant product for the attribute combination selected and replace the product code with the variant code (or SKU)

This should give you the exact functionality you are looking for where the correct manufactures code is being ordered depending on what options the customer selected.

To get the module email [email protected] and ask them for the "Variant Basket Item Replacement Module"

Here are a few videos on inventory variants if you are not familiar with them:

http://www.miva.com/videos/store_own...ts-demystified

http://www.miva.com/videos/store_own...ntory-variants
    Last edited by Brennan; 10-31-14, 02:54 PM.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Re: Creating Dynamic Codes

Thanks Brennan,

That module would be very helpful.

We also sell chairs with cushions.

I could have a single club chair (1 set of cushions), love seat (2 sets of the same cushions) or sofa (3 sets of the same cushions).

I think the inventory variants might help me with this problem as well - where if I have only two sets of cushions left in a certain color, I could dynamically sell 2 club chairs or 1 love seat. And if I had 3 sets of cushions left I could sell 1 sofa, or 1 love seat and 1 club chair, or 3 club chairs.....

I have to think about this but it is opening up some possibilities.

Thanks
      Sam

Comment

Working...
      X