Some Observations/Inquiries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some Observations/Inquiries

Can stretch template dialog in Chrome and FF.
    Just tried this in Miva 5 and it exists there too! WOW, wish I had known about this ability a long time ago!
    Larry
    Last edited by wajake41; 11-14-14, 09:25 AM.
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

It may be useful to have a Total Records Available count for various areas (for example, "Customers" or "Products"). That way, you have at the top of the list a number of the current Customer Accounts or Products available.
      Last edited by whona; 11-14-14, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Whona, you won't find a platform that are any more "intuitive" as you claim this should be. Magento and Prestashop have similar set ups, and are about the same in terms of "finding things". I develop with just about every platform, and while this new interface for Miva will take some getting used to, it's no different in terms of user experience than the others I mentioned, and in fact is superior to Prestashop which has become very popular recently. While Magento may have a more "simple" navigation, forget about finding store settings and working with them in a manner a "new" user would ever understand.

Quite frankly, your IT guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Being an IT guy does not make one an ecommerce/web developer. In my experience it's actually the opposite. Find me a guy that can work on networks AND websites and you've found me a very valuable guy that would demand $200-$300 per hour on a local scene. I suspect that isn't what you're paying him.
        Ted Hust
        AarcMediaGroup.com

Celebrating 13 Years of Outstanding Service & Support
        Miva Merchant Design

Comment

And in one of your comments you say, after logging in one of the first things you should see is access to categories and products. The very FIRST icon listed on the dashboard is "Catalog". You click it, and there you will see the category/product edit systems.
          Ted Hust
          AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Ted,

I personally appreciate your reply very much, I know from talking to Whona behind the scenes, the tension has "simmered" down quite a lot, and I'm not interested in it "resimmering".

I will say this, our product (as well as any good ecommerce platform is going to be) is a professional tool, not a consumer tool. So it's going to be about as "intuitive" as Photoshop.

Photoshop is very easy to use, once you have a clue. However it would be impossible to just hand to "my mom" for example and expect anything to happen.

That's true here and one of the reasons while we spent a lot of time re-compartmentalizing stuff (like Catalog for example), it was only to the extent things were logically bundled.

The reason the Wizards are hidden under Search was that Wizards aren't really useful in an environment like this. We believe training is the right answer to that challenge, and why we're investing so much in www.miva.com/videos
            Last edited by Rick Wilson; 11-17-14, 11:31 AM.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Yeah, my bad. The weather has been crappy here for like 5 days in a row and the Giants lost yesterday, terribly at that, so I suspect I was just crabby. I'm in the process of drinking a cup of coffee that maybe will perk me up.
              Ted Hust
              AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Originally posted by aarcmedia View Post
                I'm in the process of drinking a cup of coffee that maybe will perk me up.
                You bet it will :)
                Highly caffeinated
                http://www.coffeehouseexpress.com

Comment

I believe some of our initial problems were working in compact, which did not have the key subcategories visible when hitting catalog. Also, I noticed that when working in Internet Explorer 11 on the laptop, we were frequently not getting all the navigation images to load, which added even more problems. Personally, I would have just called "Catalog" "Products and Categories," but that is me. I understand when you are trying to drop it down to one word, you come up with something like "Catalog" as a catch-all.

Because I am familiar with Miva and have used it for 10 years, I know what I'm looking for, I just didn't know where to find it. That being said, I think a lot of newer people unfamiliar with the Miva cart will not be able to locate certain things just because of the way they are buried. For example, Inventory Tracking is hidden within the "..." option on the product sub-category's page list. Because I rely on that feature and am familiar with it, I intentionally hunted around until I found how to get there. Someone unfamiliar with it may not even know it exists because of where it is hidden.

I've spent several hours a day every day since upgrading to Miva 9 listing products, disabling sold out products, sorting categories, etc. At this point, I know my way around most of the changes. Some of it is really good. There are some areas that are taking me longer to work through. I don't particularly like switching between compact and regular just because I resize my window (usually when I have two windows tiled), and I have to continually remind myself not to work on the website with Internet Explorer. Adding products is still taking me longer in the new design, and that may be because we still manually add each product via Miva.

Now, as for my IT guy, he does handle our network administration and such, but for a hobby he designs RPG modules for popular gaming systems. As such, he has an eye for how things appear "out of the box." If a person cannot pick up one of his games and play it within a few minutes of reading, he feels he hasn't done his job. I totally understand Rick's statement about Photoshop, because some of the most important tools are not even visible if you don't have the correct window up. I cannot compare this system with anything else, but I am trying to make more helpful observations as to what I'm encountering.

I know, I still think the Atari 2600 is a cool system, so maybe I am completely out of touch. And I'm sorry for being a frustrated jerk earlier in the thread; now I am just trying to be helpful.
                  Last edited by whona; 11-17-14, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, here's something I am running into, and maybe someone can help me out.

I'm trying to list 5 products from the same vendor, so I used to open 5 "New Product" tabs (you know, right click on "add product" in Miva 5.5) so I could cut and paste where necessary. This was particularly helpful when listing 5 posters, all with the same dimensions, just different images, names, and skus. Everything else was the same. I cannot right click on the "+" button to open in a new tab (it is an element, not a simple HTML link), so am I forced to do these one at a time, or manually open several browser windows and navigate to the add product section? Is there a quicker way to manually enter several similar products in the new system?

I should note, I have never successfully used the "Add More" button, so I do not know how that functions.
                    Last edited by whona; 11-17-14, 12:44 PM.

Comment

The Add More button is what you want.

This is from Dev: Using the Add More button would allow him to add multiple products in a row without being taken to the "Edit Product" screen afterward.
                      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                      CEO
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]
                      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Yea, I used to do that too. It seems like the Right Click / "Open in New Tab" option is gone. I miss it.

The Add+ is great, but if you need to copy & paste the description, photos, and multiple fields, you lose that ability with this option. Creating multiple products in multiple browser tabs is sometimes better.

Originally posted by whona View Post
                        Meanwhile, here's something I am running into, and maybe someone can help me out.

I'm trying to list 5 products from the same vendor, so I used to open 5 "New Product" tabs (you know, right click on "add product" in Miva 5.5) so I could cut and paste where necessary. This was particularly helpful when listing 5 posters, all with the same dimensions, just different images, names, and skus. Everything else was the same. I cannot right click on the "+" button to open in a new tab (it is an element, not a simple HTML link), so am I forced to do these one at a time, or manually open several browser windows and navigate to the add product section? Is there a quicker way to manually enter several similar products in the new system?

I should note, I have never successfully used the "Add More" button, so I do not know how that functions.

Comment

Have an inquiry...

Could someone tell me which is the best base url snippet to use when putting a link in the site (for example, a special link to a category, or a product, from the storefront--not in the normal navigational scheme of things, but say a special announcement)?

&mvt:global:sessionurl;
                          &mvt:global:secure_sessionurl;

Or something else? The reason I'm asking is that we have had a customer follow a link from a web search, only to find someone else's personal information already logged in, and I think it is because the unique session was spidered as the search engine link. Should the "secure_sessionurl" be very limited in use?

Comment

Sounds like there might be hard-code sessions in place. Are you using short links at all, or is it dynamic url structures throughout? Any chance of getting a link to the actual site in question?

Comment

Here, if you look at this google search result:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+whona+twelfth

The product pulls up from a secure session when the link is clicked (second result is us, below Think Geek).

By following Google's link, you always end up in Session_ID=45b87f2e1a6a4923ea0d62062d24f610
                              Last edited by whona; 11-19-14, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Looks like Brennan already answered your question on another thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X