Stick with 5.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with 5.5?

We haven't upgraded to Merchant 9 yet and I'm thinking we might not do it. There will be a $50 a month "Non Compliance Fee" after 90 days if we stick with 5.5. However, if we have 4 people logged in at one time, we would still have a $100 savings per month compared to Merchant 9 ($50 fine a month compared to $150 for 3 extra seats).

Our store is MMUI, and everything runs perfectly fine. I played around with a developer Merchant 9 site, and I honestly can't see any reason for us to upgrade, especially considering the extra fees involved. Am I missing something? Is there any reason for us to upgrade to Merchant 9?

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: Stick with 5.5?

Well along with not getting the new features we roll out, there are no new bug fixes ever coming for 5.5.

So if you wake up and something is broken like say authorize.net, then you're stuck.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

And by default you won't be PCI compliant.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]

Comment

Eric,

I hear ya, and your math is correct. However, aside from what Rick says, there is something (and I hear it often) not quite right a portion of your premise. To paraphrase, it's "its not broke, why fix it."

Yup. Site runs fine, and shoppers come in, purchase, and we make money. However, that's today. Tomorrow, your visitors are going elsewhere for a variety of reasons. I've seen this dozens of times with some long term clients. They 'grew up' in the grand ole days of the internet where just having a site guaranteed a successful business. That just doesn't work anymore. A site has to be constantly evolving and bringing new ways to market and provide customer support for their customers. That's going to be increasingly difficult on 5.5 going forward.

I will admit, that someone in your position may not need to upgrade right away, but at least within 6 to 9 months. This would be enough time to look at HOW you administer your site. Perhaps you won't need 4 seats, 2 might be quite enough. Yes, it means change...but that's just the nature of the internet.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
          Eric,

I hear ya, and your math is correct. However, aside from what Rick says, there is something (and I hear it often) not quite right a portion of your premise. To paraphrase, it's "its not broke, why fix it."

Yup. Site runs fine, and shoppers come in, purchase, and we make money. However, that's today. Tomorrow, your visitors are going elsewhere for a variety of reasons. I've seen this dozens of times with some long term clients. They 'grew up' in the grand ole days of the internet where just having a site guaranteed a successful business. That just doesn't work anymore. A site has to be constantly evolving and bringing new ways to market and provide customer support for their customers. That's going to be increasingly difficult on 5.5 going forward.

I will admit, that someone in your position may not need to upgrade right away, but at least within 6 to 9 months. This would be enough time to look at HOW you administer your site. Perhaps you won't need 4 seats, 2 might be quite enough. Yes, it means change...but that's just the nature of the internet.
          Thanks for your constructive input, Bruce. I guess what I'm just not seeing is a compelling reason to upgrade RIGHT NOW. I don't see anything currently in 9 that we can't do or have already done in 5.5.

Comment

If you don't need Volume Pricing at the attribute level, or timed sales, or auto-discounting (not couponing), or if you don't to rebuild your look and feel as a Responsive Ready Theme, then unless the new admin speeds you up, you should certainly time it to fit your business.

With that said, if you haven't set up a dev store to play with 9, then I'd say start there. You can even get a free one at www.miva.com/videos click on Developers then Create Dev Store.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

Eric,

As long as your "right now" doesn't become a mantra :)

Your mantra should be "If you are not PLANNING to upgrade, you should be planning to close shop." (And by planning, I mean actually putting a plan into place, not just considering it.) Sites that are not planning to move forward WILL eventually die off. Maybe its a year or two, maybe its 3 months.
              Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
              X