Paypal-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal-R

After the update my Paypal-R module stopped working. The module allows customers to order and send payment via paypal, but the IPN that alerts my site to the ordres does not work. I contacted miva support on the issue and they were dismissive, suggesting that I update the module (there are no updates) or switch to a solution that costs an additional 30 USD a month.

I am not opposed to updating the module, but it appears that the module is no longer supported and I can find no way to access the update.

Any advice?

Kevin
    TEL: 646-320-8650
    www.GEOGRAPHICUS.com

Re: Paypal-R

I don't believe that has anything to do with Version 9, but I suspect it has to do with POODLE and SSL V3, Bill's PayPal-R mod has been discontinued for a long time and replaced by our built in module.

Why wouldn't you use the built in module? That doesn't cost $30 a month and I'm certain they didn't suggest something otherwise.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

I know we had a similar issue on emporiumplus.com after Poodle and we had to make a switch.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]

Comment

I would be happy to switch to the built in module, but with the custom onepage chekcout, I can't figure out how.
        www.GEOGRAPHICUS.com

Comment

For that matter, I am not really comfortable with the new interface yet. The built in module does not even show up as an option.
          www.GEOGRAPHICUS.com

Comment

Here's what you're looking for:

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 2.03.29 PM.jpg
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

One would think it would be so simple. Paypal Standard is actually installed in my store already, however, it does not appear in one of the tabbed menu options. It is inactive. I cannot seem to activate, remove it, reinstall it, or configure it.

Kevin
              www.GEOGRAPHICUS.com

Comment

Then you probably deactivated it at the Domain Level. You should open a support ticket if you're worried about your OPC.

This module is very simple.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Hello Rick,

Just to clarify. Are you stating that we need to change from Emporium Plus' Paypal module to the built in Miva paypal before we go live with 9? (We have had no issues with Poodle or SSL3 vulnerabilities on our 4 websites) Or are you really stating, we should start migrating away from third party modules to Miva Defaults?

Thanks

Kevin
                  www.automotiveworkwear.com

Comment

Kevin,

What i'm specifically saying is this, when we acquired Emporium Plus earlier this year to make sure critical modules stay focused on, PayPal-R isn't one of those, since it's for all intents and purposes built in to the native software.

On EmporiumPlus.com (which we also got as part of the acquisition) it's PayPal-R mod just stopped working when we disabled SSL V3, so I assumed the issue went beyond our installation of it (but I didn't dig into it much deeper).

If it's working for you now, no rush to switch. But it's worth noting that module will never get an update if something does break across the board.
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Hey Rick,

OK, I’ll accept that. Another question, you stated

“On EmporiumPlus.com (which we also got as part of the acquisition) it's PayPal-R mod just stopped working when we disabled SSL V3, so I assumed the issue went beyond our installation of it (but I didn't dig into it much deeper).”

Does this mean, that if PayPal-R is still working on our websites, then the server could still have SSL V3 enabled on it.

Kevin
                      www.automotiveworkwear.com

Comment

While that's possible, you're hosted with us and we've disabled that across the board. I'll have David double check though.
                        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                        CEO
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

At the current time, Poodle/SSLv3 should not affect the PayPal-R module in a store that is compiled (i.e. not 4.13 and older) AND running on engine version 5.17 or newer (v9 requires 5.20+). Version 4.13 and older will definitely not work. My understanding of the way the module works is an outbound request to PayPal is made to process the charge, and with PayPal having SSLv3 disabled, that means only stores on engine version 5.17 or later would be able to make that connection.

On the return side, PayPal should make a TLS connection, so a site on a server that has SSLv3 disabled (all of ours), should still be able to receive the IPN request back from them.

I believe there may have been a very short period of overlap, possibly as little as a couple hours, between when we disabled SSLv3 and when PayPal's IPN servers were updated to attempt TLS first, so that is probably why the module we had in use on emporiumplus.com failed. We did not attempt to debug the issue further at that time though, so there's no way to tell at this point.

Kevin, SSLv3 is disabled on your server, and as far as we know, PayPal-R should not be broken in a MM 5.5 store, but we can't be sure something will not cause it to break. My understanding is that it has not been tested in version 9 since the module is now unsupported.
                          David Hubbard
                          CIO
                          Miva
                          [email protected]
                          http://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
                          X