Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Forum email notifications ending up in spam folders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Forum email notifications ending up in spam folders?

Most of my email gets filtered or forwarded to my gmail account. Maybe about 3 or 4 weeks ago I started to notice that forum emails are ending up as spam. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Re: Are Forum email notifications ending up in spam folders?

That is quite normal if you are sending emails to one address and they are then forwarded to the gmail account. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. are all implementing anti-spam technologies that are based on authenticating the message as having come from the sender domain. Forwarding mail results in a server that is normally not responsible for the sender domain connecting to Google and claiming to have a message from a domain it is not responsible for, which is the very same thing that happens during an email forgery.

For example, if <so and so>@miva.com emails your forwarding account, then your mail server is going to connect to Google claiming to have an email from an @miva.com address, but Google knows your server should not be delivering email claiming to be from @miva.com, so it may get flagged as spam.

Even worse, if the sending domain is publishing an explicit SPF record or using similar technologies to allow receiving servers to know whether an email is forged or not, you won't even be seeing those emails because Google rejects them outright, then your forwarding server ends up bouncing the message back to the recipient if it was legit, or to a forged sender if it was not legit, causing the server to end up blacklisted in some cases.

So, moral of the story, if you don't want a particular entity to have your gmail address, set your other account to be a normal email account and then have Google retrieve the messages from it; you can set that up in the settings under "Accounts and Import" -> "Check mail from other accounts" They will retrieve at a frequency based on the volume of email; the busier the account is, the more often they'll check. You can even have the messages given a different label so they are put in their own folder.

I route all of my personal email to vendor-specific addresses on a domain I use just for email purposes, but they all go into the same mailbox. This lets me easily determine if someone I'd given an email address to was hacked, sold my address, etc. because I'll start getting spam on the address that was given only to them.
    Last edited by ILoveHostasaurus; 12-10-14, 12:49 PM.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks David. That explains a couple other things too. Is this still fairly recent on how these are implemented, google specifically? This is only recent for me.

The email address I currently use for the forums is not fowarded. I have gmail import from that email address account. However, that account is a catch all account for that domain name. Still an issue?

Scott
      Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
      Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
      MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
      Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
      My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

The Google and Yahoo lockdowns related to SPF and DKIM are fairly recent as in the past four or five months; they have really clamped down on forgery so many of our customers have begun having issues, especially those who set their stores to send merchant notifications 'from' the customer's email address and then it goes to an account that forwards; that can be a disaster and should never be done at this point in time.

The catch all setting shouldn't matter; I do that as well. I'd recommend doing a "Show original" on the message from the forum in your spam folder and copy that text out, email it to me. It will give me all the raw headers of the message as it went from us to you, and I can see if there's something obvious amiss.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

The non-technical approach, I am pretty sure this happened when Miva switched to [email protected], at least that's when they ended up in my spam box. Once white listed again, no more problems. We are also using gmail.
          Sabine Sharp
          eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
          Glendale Designs
          Support Desk

Comment

Working...
          X