Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Develop A PR 9 Site Locally And then Upload It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Develop A PR 9 Site Locally And then Upload It?

I'm still contemplating about moving from 5.5 PR8 to MM 9.

Can I develop an MM9 store locally and then just export it?

I have one MMUI store and one CSSUI store.

Also, how would module licensing work if I was developing locally?

I have WAMP on my box at home. I am guessing that empressa would install under apache somehow??? If there are docs on how to download / install empressa, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 12-17-14, 03:43 PM.
    Mark Romero
    ~~~~~~~~

Re: Can I Develop A PR 9 Site Locally And then Upload It?

Yes it is possible to build it locally using Miva Mia, you going to be far better off, requesting a dev site (dev.domain.com) with a blank install (or a copy of your cssuis store). This way when you are done building the new store we can just flip dev and live to go live.

If you do it all locally you going to have to first transfer all the data which involves quite a bit more work.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the response.

how do I download Miva Mia?

you going to be far better off, requesting a dev site (dev.domain.com) with a blank install (or a copy of your cssuis store).

yeah, but I am against the $50 dev store setup fee for moral reasons.
      Mark Romero
      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

The fee is only if we do the work for you, you're welcome to DIY on your Hosting account with no fee.

We charge the fee because it takes us a man hour to do them.
        Last edited by Rick Wilson; 12-17-14, 04:45 PM.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Miva Mia can be downloaded here:

http://www.miva.com/support/downloads
          Brennan Heyde
          VP Product
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]

Comment

The fee is only if we do the work for you, you're welcome to DIY on your Hosting account with no fee.
            Ok, I guess I misunderstood:

Are there instructions somewhere on how I can set up the dev store myself?

Do I do it through plesk?
            Mark Romero
            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

The creation of the subdomain can be done in Plesk. It will need to have cgi-bin support enabled. You'd want to copy all of the files from your current cgi-bin to the dev subdomain's cgi-bin. The mivavm.conf file would need to be edited to change any references to the primary site's cgi-bin AND, most importantly, any reference to the primary site's mivadata folder to a different folder where data for the dev site would be stored.

Create the data folder referenced by the dev site's mivavm.conf file. Copy all the live site's mivadata folder to the dev site's data folder. The merchdb.dat file holds the database credentials. Create a new database for user by the dev site. The credentials will normally be encrypted in the merchdb.dat file but the field structure is:

mysql|username@localhost|databasename|password|

You can put the new values in in plain text and reencrypt them using the dev store's pa-dss validation wizard once the dev store is accessible.

Copy the entire mm5 scripts directory from the primary site to the dev site. Using the phpmyadmin tool in Plesk, you can dump the contents of the live store's database, then import the dump file into the dev store's database. If the store database is particularly large, it may require dumping/importing certain tables individually and not as part of the large dump file. Once the data is imported, edit the Domain table to change the URL's from the live URL to dev URL. You should then be able to log in to the admin interface. If it redirects you to the primary domain, then the URL's were not all updated.

It is imperative the merchdb.dat for the dev site, and the mivavm.conf for the dev site, be updated properly. If they are not, you could end up having the dev store talk to the live store's data and/or database, causing harm to the live site when you think you're working on the dev site.

These steps are easy to follow but can be very time consuming.
              David Hubbard
              CIO
              Miva
              [email protected]
              http://www.miva.com

Comment

FYI: Most our modules now work without a license if you already have a currently licensed copy for the main domain.
                Bruce Golub
                Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

Ok, one more question please:

I know that the "best" way to get a MM9 site up and running is to use a dev store first.

But since I have NEVER done anything the best way, and am far too old to start worrying about doing things the right way now, then let me ask this:

What is the major benefit of doing it via a dev store first, versus just using the update wizard and updating my live store and gradually re-incorporating features of my 5.5 store into my MM9 store?

And can I do that for both he CSSUI and the MMUI store?

I am pretty certain that Miva has covered all the bases and made sure that doing an update won't BREAK my store. And I can't fault Miva for their customer support, so even in the unlikely case that my store did "break," I am sure they would have me up and running in no time.

so in essence, what would I be missing out on by doing a live update through the update wizard as opposed to a development store and then pushing it to the live site?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has already been covered before.
                  Mark Romero
                  ~~~~~~~~

Comment

You can upgrade either store, your templates will just not have the new features since they'd be preserving the ancient MMUI code. What you may want to do is have a fresh store installed on v9 dev site and migrate your real data to it, when ready, swap it in place of the production store. That gets you all of the latest and greatest template features and you can roll it in on a schedule you define.

A side note; the current policy regarding production stores updated to version 9 is that they will not be restored from backup back to 5.5 unless functionality has broken; i.e. some module you're using no longer works (since it should prevent you from updating in cases where that could occur). If you update to v9 and want a restore due to not liking the new interface or similar cosmetic reasons, a restore will not be possible.
                    David Hubbard
                    CIO
                    Miva
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and the warning, David.
                      Mark Romero
                      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X