Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drawbacks To Doing a Live Site Update through Update Wizard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawbacks To Doing a Live Site Update through Update Wizard?

Hi all:

Can you tell me what the main drawbacks would be to updating a live store from 5.5 PR8 Update 12 to MM9 through the update wizard? (As opposed to doing the whole development store route).

I have one CSSUI store and One MMUI store.

I would like to use the Suvant ready themes on both of them once I have updated to MM9

Is that doable by just going through the update wizard?

Would rather not mess with the dev store if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark Romero
    ~~~~~~~~

Re: Drawbacks To Doing a Live Site Update through Update Wizard?

You can only put the Ready Theme on your CSSUI store. The MMUI store you have to move manually.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the info!!!

Ok, that makes things a bit easier.

But in terms of the CSSUI store, it will basically mean I jut need to add in the MVT script and CSS for the various template customizations (assuming all the modules I have are compatible or are not needed), right?
      Mark Romero
      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

That is correct. You will have to manually make the page template changes, which can be found here:

http://www.miva.com/version9-template-changes

It is worth noting, that 99% of Miva customers simply click the button to update their live stores. A lot will have a dev store to test the update first, but most don't start from scratch with a brand new store. That is one of Miva's biggest strengths - You don't have to re-build your store when you want to upgrade to the newest version.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation.

That is one of Miva's biggest strengths - You don't have to re-build your store when you want to upgrade to the newest version.
          Yes. That is definitely one of the core strengths of MM.
          Mark Romero
          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

One more questions...

On my CSSUI store, if I do a live upgrade through the updte wizard and decide to use one of the Ready Themes, will that "erase" all of my previous template customizations for my various pages? Or will I still be able to see those various customizations, copy specific code from those templates, and paste it into the new ready theme templates?
            Mark Romero
            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark,

You'd definitely lose them on the live pages (the Framework will overwrite them), but you'd have access to the old code via Recall (but of course it would roll it back to your old page layout).

So you'll need to plan on reinstalling any custom template code on top of the new Ready Theme. Hopefully many of the features that used to be toolkit/custom code are now simply built into the Ready Theme.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                Mark,

You'd definitely lose them on the live pages (the Framework will overwrite them), but you'd have access to the old code via Recall (but of course it would roll it back to your old page layout).
                Ok, as long as I can see them in the backend, then I am guessing I can recall them without updating, right?

IIRC, recall will show them in the editor, but as long as I don't hit update after recalling them, the old templates will not be applied to the front end.

so just recall, copy the code I need, then - without hitting update - recall the new ready theme templates, paste in the code, and then update.

Thanks again.
                Mark Romero
                ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark, my recommendation is that you have Miva create a duplicate 5.5 store (dev style) with all of your current data and that you run the update there first to see what happens. From what I recall you've got some complex things going on and I'd hate to see your live customer front end be messed up while you are trying to fix things as you get familiar with the 9 structure. Just my 2 cents (but then again, you've never been afraid to give me yours). :-)
                  Keith Oratz
                  PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                  www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Keith:

I will probably do that for one of my stores, and possibly for both.

I am actually hoping to eliminate some of my customizations though, so we will see. Would like to streamline things a bit.

Thanks again for the input.
                    Mark Romero
                    ~~~~~~~~

Comment

With V9 you should in theory be able to streamline a lot, the goal is for 90% of our customers to function with "stock" functionality.
                      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                      CEO
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Siamese-Dream.Com View Post
                        Thanks for the suggestion, Keith:

I will probably do that for one of my stores, and possibly for both.

I am actually hoping to eliminate some of my customizations though, so we will see. Would like to streamline things a bit.

Thanks again for the input.
                        Also make sure you save your current framework so you have a fresh copy before installing the new framework
                        Mark Hood
                        Vermont Gear

Comment

With V9 you should in theory be able to streamline a lot, the goal is for 90% of our customers to function with "stock" functionality.
                          Thanks!

Also make sure you save your current framework so you have a fresh copy before installing the new framework
                          Thanks for the tip.
                          Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 12-19-14, 01:08 PM.
                          Mark Romero
                          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just so I understand this statement better:

That is correct. You will have to manually make the page template changes, which can be found here:

http://www.miva.com/version9-template-changes

Is that only if I stick with the CSSUI framework and I DON'T apply a ready them framework?

I would imagine if I applied a ready theme framework, then the template changes would already be applied, no?
                            Mark Romero
                            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark,

You're correct, if you apply the Ready Theme, all of those Template Changes are made for you as part of the theme.
                              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                              CEO
                              Miva, Inc.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X