Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics Ecommerce tracking

Attaching a screen shot of my Google Analytics reports:

Just discovered that "something" happened on Nov 27 that apparently screwed up ecommerce tracking. I'd like to get this working again.

I'm rusty, though. Ecommerce tracking has been fine . . . until this. I don't remember the ins and outs.

Where can I find instructions or a tutorial that walks me through how to up GA and ecommerce tracking in Miva 9?

Re: Google Analytics Ecommerce tracking

We have a couple videos:

http://www.miva.com/videos/web_devel...alytics-module

and this one for Version 9:

http://www.miva.com/videos/store_own...ogle-analytics
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks, Brennan!

Sadly, I think I have another problem. In my admin, I only see options for "Google Analytics Settings" and "Google Analytics Tracking Code." I'm missing the one for ecommerce tracking. Ummm . . . I doubt that's good. What should I do?

Attaching a screen shot.

Comment

The MM9 video doesn't cover the fact that the Ecommerce and Standard Tracking snippets/panels were combined with this upgrade on fresh installs. (they remain separated on existing stores with previous Google Analytics integrations) The video also shows the old ga.js code, not the new Universal Analytics snippet and there is no mention of Enhanced Ecommerce being introduced into the mix as default, which is a completely different setup process on the Google Analytics admin side.

Our internal recommendation to clients at this time is not to run with Enhanced Ecommerce unless they have a clear understanding of what that transition means. The stock Universal Analytics tracking and ecommerce conversion snippets/setup is more than enough for most Miva stores.

Comment

Dan,
          I'm reading your words, but I don't quite understand. The two settings I have in my Miva Admin are "Google Analytics Settings" and "Google Analytics Tracking Code." I want my ecommerce data back. Am I not supposed to have a separate settings area for ecommerce? I wonder if I did something in my Google Analytics admin....

Comment

I'm reading your words, but I don't quite understand.
            I hear that a lot ;)

The two settings I have in my Miva Admin are "Google Analytics Settings" and "Google Analytics Tracking Code." I want my ecommerce data back. Am I not supposed to have a separate settings area for ecommerce? I wonder if I did something in my Google Analytics admin....
            That's what is misleading about the video provided. In MM9, the ecommerce and standard tracking snippet panels get combined into one on a fresh Google Analytics module activation. They also inject Enhanced Ecommerce, which is an entirely different method of ecommerce tracking: https://developers.google.com/analyt...nced-ecommerce

If your store had a previous Google Analytics integration prior to the MM9 upgrade and it was using the separate standard tracking and ecommerce templates, then those two templates/panels should have remained intact.

Not knowing the specifics of your Google Analytics integration prior to, and after the MM9 upgrade, it hard to say for sure what the proper course of action should be for your particular store. The fact that you are saying you have only one Google Analytics template panel tells me the Google Analytics module was freshly enabled, combining the two templates. This would have also injected Enhanced Ecommerce, which could explain why your old ecommerce tracking is not working. Enhanced Ecommerce needs to be enabled/setup in the Google Analytics account settings. Any goals/funnels would need to be setup for Enhance Ecommerce as well.

The alternative is to forego Enhanced Ecommerce and implement the standard Universal Tracking and Ecommerce snippets, however the default templates included with the new MM9 Google Analytics module don't include this option/example. You would need to combine your previous tracking and ecommerce snippets into one template.

Comment

Pardon the interruption, gentlemen:

Just so I understand, Dan:

If like the original poster, I have a fesh install of the google analytics module, AND I am using the universal code, then the ecommerce data will be sent to google analytics automatically without further having to customize the code?

Or will I still need to add code to the default code in order to pass ecommerce data along to google analytics?

Thanks in advance.
              Mark Romero
              ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hey Mark,

Fresh Google Analytics installs via MM9 transition to Enhanced Ecommerce by default, which requires a different setup in the Analytics admin. If you are not getting ecommerce data, then you either need to enable/setup Enhanced Ecommerce, or revert to the standard ecommerce tracking code. The latter requires code changes because it is no longer an option in MM9 by default.

Enabling Enhanced Ecommerce is pretty simple, just the flip of a switch: https://support.google.com/analytics..._topic=1631741 Setting up the goals/funnels/segments is a little more involved compared to the previous methods.

Enhanced Ecommerce goes pretty far in it's tracking capabilities, however the current MM9 implementation is limited to a stock store, so things like merchandising, promo banner/ad views and clicks are not available out of the box: https://developers.google.com/analyt...nced-ecommerce

We have provided Miva with feedback on all of this and will continue to monitor. If we find that there is a need for a 3rd party Google Analytics module to take things further, we may consider bringing one to market again.

Comment

or revert to the standard ecommerce tracking code. The latter requires code changes because it is no longer an option in MM9 by default.
                  This option is returning in 9.0001
                  Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                  CEO
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]
                  https://www.miva.com

Comment

Dand and Rick:

Thanks for the updates.
                    Mark Romero