WANTED: USPS Ground Shipping Methods!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WANTED: USPS Ground Shipping Methods!!!

Is there any way to get US Postal service GROUND shipping methods (i.e., Standard Post or Parcel select) rates and options???

I have U.S.P.S. Standard Post® checked in the U.S.P.S. Online Rate Calculation (Domestic & International) module (and it is even listed under the Shipping Method rules settings), but it does not show up in the shipping options drop down list when going through checkout.

So, anyway to get it to show up as a shipping option for customers

UPS Rates went up significantly on December 29th and trying to eliminate them wherever possible.
    Mark Romero
    ~~~~~~~~

Re: WANTED: USPS Ground Shipping Methods!!!

Hello Mark,

Looks like you're having a few different shipping issues on siamese-dream.com, I see that you're hosted here so I went ahead and created a ticket using the email address we have on file and will take a further look.

Comment

Thanks. I will check out the ticket.

But just for the sake of everyone here, does that mean that something like Standard Post SHOULD be a viable shipping option?
      Mark Romero
      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hey Mark,

Standard Post is still a viable shipping option, but only under certain conditions.

http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/c...geServices.htm

Standard Post prices are based on the zone (distance) to which the parcel is addressed and the weight of the parcel. While any mailable matter not required to be mailed as First-Class Mail is permitted to Zones 5-8, Zones 1-4 items are limited to mailable hazardous materials, live animals, and other “surface-only” items.

So what this means is if the package is shipping to zones 1-4 it's probably not an available option. USPS is only offering Standard Post for zones further away from the origin of the shipement, zones 5-8.

Plug the first 3 digits of your zip here and you'll see the USPS Zones based on your location.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/

Hope this helps.
        Ron Frigon
        Jedi Webmaster Obi-Ron Kenobi

Comment

Hello Mark,

I'd found another error with shipping that was preventing customers from checking out. I was able to resolve it for you and sent the details in reply to your ticket. If you have further questions please reply to the email.

In regards to the Standard post, I was looking at a different URL but I got the same information that Ron just posted. This is the URL I was looking at: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/153.htm#1022551

I tested your site and used an address in Honolulu, Hawaii and was able to get the Standard Post rate.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Ron and satkins.

Really had no idea that standard post was not available for zones 1-4.

guess I will have to start including a live chicken in the shipments if I want to send them within zones 1 to 4 :(
            Mark Romero
            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark, in case you didn't know, FedEx also has a Ground service. Maybe their price is better than UPS? -- or USPS with livestock. :^)
              Last edited by Kent Multer; 01-06-15, 02:54 AM.
              Kent Multer
              Magic Metal Productions
              http://TheMagicM.com
              * Web developer/designer
              * E-commerce and Miva
              * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Hi Kent, and thanks for the note.

Yes, was aware of the FedEx module.

Unfortunately, FedEx also increased their rates based on dimensional pricing, and sometimes it is even more than UPS.

Fir instance, one of my products that is pretty popular fits in a 12 X 12 X 8 box and weighs about 4.5 pounds.

Previously both UPS and FedEx charged me the 5 pound weight.

Now UPS wants to charge me 11 pounds while FedEx wants to charge me 13 pounds.

Apparently they are doing this because the mega shippers like amazon and target use put lightweight products in huge boxes, so the shipping companies need people to pay for all that space that has vanished.

To be honest, I am surprised that this hasn't gotten a bigger mention. There's a whole line of products that I don't know if I am going to be able to sell anymore.

~~~~

-- or USPS with livestock. :^)
                Well, fortunately we were planning on a "Buy One Handbag, Get One Live Ferret For Free" promotion (more commonly known as a BOHGOLFFF). What woman could resist that???
                Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 01-06-15, 07:51 AM.
                Mark Romero
                ~~~~~~~~

Comment

BTW: It turns out that Parcel Select is only available if you pay a yearly fee with the postal service and you have to negotiate that fee.

So it is available to ebay members who use ebay's shipping / postage service, since ebay has negotiated with the postal service.

It would be awesome (although difficult, I am sure) for Miva to negotiate with the USPS.

I believe that Endicia has a negotiated Parcel Select rate with USPS. I wonder if the Endicia module in MM9 will be updated to allow for printing labels using the Endicia negotiated Parcel Select rate.
                  Mark Romero
                  ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hello Mark,

Just wanted to find out if you are using Miva's native UPS or if you are using Viking UPS custom. If you are using Viking UPS custom, can you let me know what version you are using?

Thanks,
                    Amir Torabi
                    VikingCoders/Emediasales
                    [email protected]

Comment

Hi there, Amir:

Actually, I am NOT using ANY UPS shipping module.

I am specifically looking for help with U.S Postal Service (USPS) ground shipping options.
                      Mark Romero
                      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hi Mark,

FWIW, the new UPS dimensional weight system is LxWxH/166 via Domestic Ground Services. Your 12x12x8 box should only bill out to 7 pounds. Who is telling you it's billed at 11?
                        Jason Fancett
                        America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
                        Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
                        Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

Hi Jason:

My bad. the box actually measured 12 X 12 X 12 (NOT 12 X 12 X 8)

So the dimensional weight is 11 pounds.

Plus the fuel surcharge is calculated upon the dimensional weight :(
                          Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 01-08-15, 05:33 PM.
                          Mark Romero
                          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Have you considered FedEx SmartPost?

Currently it is not subject to the new dimensional weight pricing. In our experience it is a good choice for packages 3 - 10 pounds. Depending on where you are located the sweet spot for you may be different for you. When FedEx Smart Post first rolled it out there were a lot of issues and I think it initially developed a bad reputation. In the past few years we have had no more issues with SmartPost than any other shipping method used.

Comment

I would second the vote for Fedex Smartpost. However 12x12x12 is the max size for Smartpost before dimensional pricing kicks in there. May not seem like a big deal but the dimensional scanners will read it larger if the box is not assembled to the perfect cube. 12.1 rounds up to 13 which would end up making Smartpost more expensive than Home Delivery/Ground depending on your discounting.
                              Jason Fancett
                              America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
                              Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
                              Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

Working...
                              X