Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal Payment Information with Phone Number

Hello,

I only found one post on this subject, but it was several years old.
    Anyone using the alternate Paypal checkout option (the Yellow Paypal Button)
    in addition to the normal checkout. I could really use some advice on
    incorporating the yellow paypal button alternate checkout. We are still running
    5.5 and trying to implement a few new features before we migrate to miva 9

1. How have you addressed the issue of bringing in the customers phone
    number. (we require it) Paypal itself, has an option under profile>selling
    tools>website settings to require users to enter a phone number. However,
    while it brings in the bill to and ship to, not the phone number. A paypal
    representative told me it was possible.

2. After they return from the paypal site, they click next, then select
    shipping and payment (at this point paypal is the only one shown), then click
    again, to enter payment info (again no option other that paypal), but at this
    point can process the order. My question is, do we simply hide the payment
    field on the OSEL page or hide it on the OPAY page, and simple make it a
    confirmation page. Obviously we paypal is just 15% of our sales, and still use
    authorize.net as a payment gateway for cards.

Does MIVA have a demo site, to see how it is suppose to work.

Thanks

Kevin
    www.automotiveworkwear.com

Re: PayPal Payment Information with Phone Number

For #1 that should be all you need to do. In our experience a lot of people don't have their phone number stored in their PayPal account, so even with that checked you will still get customers will need to manually add it after returning from Miva. You could add some styling to the phone number field to call it out more if they return from PayPal and the field is blank.

#2 The Flow is somewhat up to you. You could re-purpose OPAY as a "review order" page or remove it altogether by passing the all the actions when then submit OSEL and take them directly to INVC.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Hello Brennan,

Thanks. You are correct about paypal numbers being stored, but getting a phone number is one more tool to stop fraud, it cut ours down quite a bit. A valid phone number allows you to make a call back, check the provider that issued it, match it to the banks card on file, or just better customer server. Foolish if you don’t get that, yes fake or discontinued numbers can be entered, as I said, its just one more piece of the puzzle, and easily verified.

So when the customer returns, MIVA will import he bill to and ship to, the customer clicks continue and they get an error. Very unprofessional.

So, Can we hire your design team at MIVA to properly build a module.

Paypal, got back to me. They say the issue is with your module. When paying with bill weilands old paypal module on our live site and with the paypal website setting to require a phone it turned on. It does ask for the phone number, it the number is already entered in the customers paypal account, either way this message will appear “Automotive Workwear, inc requires a phone number” although bills module is not designed to ask for this information. This shows that paypal is trying to send the info and was verified by an email from Paypal’s Integration team.

When using one of MIVA’s that has the yellow button on our DEV, the cart is either not asking for it from PayPal or is not Parsing out the response with the information from Paypal.

So, how can we get this done. We are happy to pay for the development cost. I would hope this request will not fall into a black hole such as we made a while back about MIVA’s UPS module.

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Kevin -

Our built in module does support the phone number if it is turned on from PayPal. I just did a few tests to confirm and it was not working for me, so it is possible it broke somewhere along the lines. I will get our development team to do some tests. However this was intended to work (if the customer has the phone number saved in their PayPal Account)

As for the other the ability to restrict P.O boxes, I still talking to our development team on that, but we do have plans to build it into the core.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

I just spoke with our development team and they were able to test this and get it working. The site I was testing on must not have had PayPal configured correctly. In your PayPal account go to:

Profile >Hosted Payment Settings >Website Payment Preferences >Contact Telephone Number. Set it to "On (Required)".

If you set it "On (Optional)" then the buyer will have to check a box during checkout/sign in at PayPal in order to choose to send the phone number.

If you have this setup and it is still not working for you, send in a ticket to design and we can help troubleshoot why it is not working correctly.
          Brennan Heyde
          VP Product
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]

Comment

FWIW, we do a lot of PayPal transactions on our site and do not use the PayPal buttons. We have PayPal listed along with the credit cards on the select shipping/payment screen so the customer fills out the billing and shipping info first. So it is just like checking out with a credit card, but when they select Paypal, it takes them to Paypal instead of the payment screen. We don't mind accepting PayPal, but we aren't going to encourage it by making it easier.
            Jim Sisk
            Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Hello Brennon,

Thanks for the update, Yes, it was set to "required" and verified by the folks as Paypal. I will go ahead and start a trouble ticket with miva.

Thanks, its appreciated.

Kevin

Comment

Jim, LOL, I agree.

We really don't like the alternate checkout, but we are seeing an increase in mobile sales, and to have the able to simply click on a paypal button, have all your info brought in, and then a couple more of clicks and your done. It is much easier and faster for a mobile phone user to make that purchase... In and out so to speak. personally, I prefer a single checkout funnel, one path.

Thank for the input

Kevin

Comment

Not sure when this started happening but it's only throwing an error on mobile - desktop works fine - we are using the "Yellow" Express Checkout button on the BASK page.

When we click "Checkout with PayPal", it launches the new window where we login to PayPal and click continue. It brings us back to the OCST screen with all of the customer information pre-populated. The only field not locked is the phone (sometimes it's filled in with a phone # and sometimes not, we're not exactly sure where that info is coming from), but regardless, when we click continue, the page reloads and the ship to and bill to forms are now completely blank with red missing information errors.

This only happens on a phone. It's the same form and same page (using a responsive layout, but the same).

I've tried removing the responsive layout so the full desktop mode is on the iPhone and it still errors.

This is not using the in-context PayPal function.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                  Joe McDonald
                  patrickwebby.com

Comment

Hello Joe,

Would you mind posting what domain name this is happening on? If you don't want to post it on the forums, please open up a ticket with support (email [email protected]) and include a link to this thread so we can take a look.

Regards,
                    Rafael Buelna
                    Miva Support Engineer
                    800.608.MIVA (24/7 Support)
                    http://www.miva.com
                    http://www.miva.com/support

Comment

Working...
                    X