No announcement yet.

Google Analytics Stopped tracking : Missing Tracking Code notification in GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics Stopped tracking : Missing Tracking Code notification in GA

Hey Everyone:

I just got a Missing tracking code notification in google analytics. It just happened yesterday.

One of the pages listed is my home page:

www.siamese-dream.com

It really LOOKS to me like the tracking code is being displayed properly, and I haven't changed anything (and it seemed to have been working fine up until yesterday).

This is the javascript that the MM Ga module seems to be using on my home page:

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    var Product_Code = '';
    //-->
    </script>

<script>
    (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
    (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
    m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
    })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-2493872-1', 'auto');

ga( 'send', 'pageview' );

</script>
    Any thoughts???
    Mark Romero
    ~~~~~~~~

Re: Google Analytics Stopped tracking : Missing Tracking Code notification in GA

Hey Mark, can you tell me if ecommerce conversion tracking has stopped?

Comment

Re: Google Analytics Stopped tracking : Missing Tracking Code notification in GA

Hi Dan,

It WAS getting ecommerce data.

I am just looking at real time data, and it seems like it is tracking, so maybe the notifications in google analitics is just having a brain cramp???
      Mark Romero
      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

It WAS getting ecommerce data.
        Is it still getting ecommerce data? I just want to make sure the ecommerce conversion tracking component hasn't dropped off, flagging the message. From there if data is flowing all around, most likely a false positive.

Comment

Is it still getting ecommerce data?
          Well, it would be a lot easier to tell if i had actual customers on my site buying things...
          Mark Romero
          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Look under Conversions > Ecommerce > Overview in the Google Analytics left nav. Set the date range to something like January 1 - 14 (yesterday), any conversions?
            Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 01-15-15, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Yes, there are conversions.
              Mark Romero
              ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yes, there are conversions.
                I would say false positive then. Message should fall off in a few days.

Comment

Thanks!!! That's what I'm suspecting.
                  Mark Romero
                  ~~~~~~~~

Comment

I noticed yesterday that Analytics was not tracking any ecommerce on our site since switching to ReadyThemes. Apparently <mvt:item name="ga_transaction" /> is not working. All the proper items appear to be assigned to INVC. I reverted back to the mess of tracking code that was on our old site and data is now posting as of this morning. What could be the problem?
                    Jamin Jones, CEO
                    the Appalachian Offroad Motorcycle Company

Comment

A couple things to check.

Make sure your settings under Google Analytic is set to Classic, or Universal with Enhanced Ecommerce. The regular Universal does not include ecommerce tracking.

Also, check your head tag to make sure this code is there(it should get added automatically):

<script type="text/javascript" src="&mvt:global:clientside_url;Module_Code=mvga&a mp;Filename=mvga.js"></script>
                      Brennan Heyde
                      VP Product
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]
                      https://www.miva.com

Comment

@ Brennan:

Thanks for the information.

Make sure your settings under Google Analytic is set to Classic, or Universal with Enhanced Ecommerce. The regular Universal does not include ecommerce tracking.
                        Ah... it HAD been set to just Universal - not the Universal with enhanced ecommerce.

The head tg that callse the javascript was correctly in place.
                        Mark Romero
                        ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark,

Keep in mind if you go to enhanced, you have to enable it in the Google Analytics admin. Goals/Funnels are setup quite differently as well.

Universal Analytics w/ Standard Ecommerce conversion tracking is not dead and I have argued that it covers your average Miva store/user just fine. That is the missing component here and it sounds like Miva will be adding it back in with a future release because Google has not explicitely stated Enhanced will become the standard. There are some hefty technical requirements with Enhanced Ecommerce as well, so I don't see it becoming the default ecommerce method anytime soon, but you never know with Google.

Setup properly, Enhanced Ecommerce can produce an overwhelming amount of user interaction data. If you are a data junkie/advanced Analytics user, great, but it will most likely be overkill for the average store owner that logs in on occasion just to look at basic statistics/reporting.
                          Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 01-17-15, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Ok, well now I am completely confused :)

My google account fro this property uses the Universal analytics (so I cannot rever back to the classic analytics or the version they call asynchronous analytics).

So if I just want to use analytics with simple ecommerce data, what do I need to do?
                            Mark Romero
                            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

So if I just want to use analytics with simple ecommerce data, what do I need to do?
                              Implement Universal Analytics w/ Ecommerce using either the classic (ga.js) templates (there are two templates under this setting), or the Universal w/ Enhanced Ecommerce template. (this is one template under this setting)

Alternatively you make the move to Enhance Ecommerce.
                              Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 01-18-15, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X