Tokens/Items processed in description fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tokens/Items processed in description fields

I thought this was going to be added in Miva 9 but doesn't appear to be working.

So, My request is for tokens to be processed in the decription fields (i.e. product description)

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Re: Tokens/Items processed in description fields

Hey Scott -

Can you give me some use cases of how you would use this?
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Having this feature would eliminate the work around of using the content component and/or product custom fields. The work around complicates configuration. A more simple workaround is to use the product header or footer field. But that isn't a great option because of the intent of the field name. Leads to confusion when the named fields are co-opted for an alternate use.

A simple scenario is a "Made in U.S.A" notification. Typically, there is a custom field binary(ie: checkbox) the store owner could set in the spread sheet for all the products. In the description field, the state of the custom field could be checked and an image/icon/text could be displayed or not. Right now, I need to do all this in a workaround, or find an acceptable place in the template to check the custom field state and display a notification. If the context of this dynamic content is suppose to be in the description, I need to be able to configure it that way and it will make sense to the store owner and anyone that may work on the store after me.

Another scenario I have run into is alternate mfgr product skus. These have been stored in a custom field and needed to be displayed on the product page preferably in the description, but I couldn't tokenize the data so a workaround had to be configured.

Comes down to consistency. The header and footer are dynamic. It would be consistent if the description field is also IMO.

Scott
      Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
      Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
      MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
      Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
      My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Hi Scott -

Thanks for the information. You're second person to mention this to me recently so it caught my attention.

I spoke with our development team today about this. At a high level we're open to making the description accept tokens and the SMT template language.

However, there is a technical hurdle we need to address first. When a template accepts item tags it gets compiled when it is saved and stored as a .mvc file on the server. The potential issue here is with large stores that have tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands products. If each one creates a compiled template on the server it can create some file system issues.

However, once we address this technical issue then making the description support SMT is completely possible and should eventually happen.

We have not really come across this issue too much and I think the big reason is we tend to split up the description into custom fields so we have the flexibility to put then wherever is needed on the page.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

...hence the fact that header/footer 'templates' are only created on an "as needed basis"...
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Wouldn't pulling the info into the description using Miva script require that the script be added to every product description?

We use dozens of custom fields and pull them into various places on our product pages and can't imagine trying to teach an end user how to include the script to pull the country of origin field rather than just typing the country in the country field on the spreadsheet.
            Jim Sisk
            Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Well, technically, its not mivascript, its SMT code and they would have to use something like: &mvt:product:customfield_values:customfields:count ry;, but that's the easiest way to be able to write a description like:

This fine product which hales from &mvt:product:customfield_values:customfields:count ry;, is a great example of blah, blah, blah.

This form of adding something like country of origin would have better SEO results than listing it as:

Country of Origin: &mvt:product:customfield_values:customfields:count ry;

That being said, you could do this as a pre-processing step.
              Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

If they have to type the country name in the field already, wouldn't it be easier to type it in the description rather than typing &mvt:product:customfield_values:custom fields:country; into the description?

Doesn't look like it is doing the end user a favor by doing it this way.

You could still put your "This fine product is handcrafted in (add a is not null conditional, then your code to pull the field data) and add the blah, blah at the end and embed it in the template directly behind the description so it becomes part of the description to anyone viewing the page.

We do this with a secondary description custom field so when we upload our products to Amazon, they (and all the people that steal descriptions and pictures off of Amazon for their websites) only get the technical portion of the description rather than the flowery part that we pay to have written. Looking at the product description, you cannot tell which is which without seeing the code. (and theoretically, our onsite description will have a better SEO rating than the one we give to Amazon)
                Jim Sisk
                Uncommon Treasures

Comment

it was just an example...could be an entire paragraph that needs to change depending season, time, source of product, etc.
                  Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

OK, now it makes sense to me. The country and SKU examples were throwing me off.

I can see where it would be very useful particularly as you mentioned for the season. It would actually be great to add an IDS token to multiple descriptions then only have to edit the token to add "Makes the perfect Father's Day gift" or "A great gift idea for the Grad", etc.
                    Jim Sisk
                    Uncommon Treasures

Comment

yea, something like that...heck its Saturday...the ole example brain is on break.
                      Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                      X