No shipping for gift certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shipping for gift certificates

In Miva 9, I can't seem to figure out how to configure no shipping for gift certificates and a select few other products.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks!
    Cameron
    Trent Studios, LLC
    Graphic Design, Website Design
    TrentStudios.com
    (970) 568-8652

Re: No shipping for gift certificates

You'll need to create a free shipping/digital delivery flat rate shipping method. Then go into your gift certificate product and there is a section called "Shipping Rules" Here you can check the box to limit shipping methods and choose the method you wish want to allow for this gift certificate product.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks, Brennan.

I did that and it works as long as only add a gift certificate to my basket. When I add other products, such as a teapot, to my basket, Free Shipping is still the only option.

What do you think?

Thanks!
      Cameron
      Trent Studios, LLC
      TrentStudios.com
      (970) 568-8652

Comment

Originally posted by cway View Post
        Thanks, Brennan.

I did that and it works as long as only add a gift certificate to my basket. When I add other products, such as a teapot, to my basket, Free Shipping is still the only option.

What do you think?

Thanks!
        Cameron
        Following . . . we're going to have the same issue once we get our new digital products uploaded.

Comment

Try this:

Remove the product limitation so the digital delivery method is allowed on all products. The go into shipping rules and under group shipping (or any method that normally always shows up) have it exclude the digital delivery product.

This should make it so when just the gift certificate is is ordered it will show the digital delivery method. If it is ordered with any other products it will be hidden and standard shipping will show.
          Brennan Heyde
          VP Product
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by 'group shipping'. Sorry. Do you mean 'Product always ships in separate packaging'?
            Trent Studios, LLC
            TrentStudios.com
            (970) 568-8652

Comment

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant Ground Shipping. Under each shipping method you can choose to have it exclude other methods within shipping rules.
              Brennan Heyde
              VP Product
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

I've tried this, but once the free shipping option is excluded, my quantity based shipping method (for ground shipping) comes up, and that method counts the free-shipping product as an additional item and charges a progressive shipping charge on it. In my case, I charge a flat rate for the first product, then $1 for each additional product. But, I need a way to NOT charge the additional $1 on the item that should not have any shipping charges (i.e. it should not be charged that incremental $1).

Comment

Let me ask our development team about that shipping method. I don't think there is a way to exclude the Gift Certificate product when using the Quantity Based Shipping Method.
                  Brennan Heyde
                  VP Product
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

I did mine by creating pricing group - I used Eligibility all shoppers - Type shipping discount discounted product only - method discount is 100% - once that was created I chose new price group and I assigned my gift certificate as qualifying and discounted products. Now if only a gift certificate is in basket all shipping choices are $0 and if another product is in basket you get pay shipping choices. Hope this helps

Comment

Brennan,

For the life of me I am unable to offer Free Shipping when only a Gift Certificate is in the basket.

1) I have a Flat Rate Method called Digital Delivery setup
                      2) In Digital Delivery Method it shows Excluded By: for Flat Rate Shipping, UPS Ground, UPS 3 Day, UPS 2 Day, and UPS Next Day.
                      3) I have moved the priority from 1 (last) to 7 (first) - nothing works

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
                      Try this:

Remove the product limitation so the digital delivery method is allowed on all products. The go into shipping rules and under group shipping (or any method that normally always shows up) have it exclude the digital delivery product.

This should make it so when just the gift certificate is is ordered it will show the digital delivery method. If it is ordered with any other products it will be hidden and standard shipping will show.
                      Sincerely,

Stephen M. LaBar, Jr.
                      (770) 441-9447
                      The Martial Arts Store

Please Visit Our Site At:
                      http://www.themartialartsstore.com

Comment

If you already have a Flat Rate Shipping method (other than your free shipping) then it will always show so your free shipping will never show. You'll need some other way to determine when it shows. Perhaps you can add a restriction where if the shipping weight if over 0.1 then don't display it?
                        Brennan Heyde
                        VP Product
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Brennan,

I must have been brain dead as I swore I tried that already. I went back in and set it again and it works great. Thank you sir!
                          Sincerely,

Stephen M. LaBar, Jr.
                          (770) 441-9447
                          The Martial Arts Store

Please Visit Our Site At:
                          http://www.themartialartsstore.com

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but thought it would be better than starting a new one. We are just looking at setting up Gift Certificates now and are having some issues with shipping. For us:

- Gift Certificates are digital delivery only (email)
                            - If the person is only ordering a gift cert, we only want a single shipping method listed
                            - If the person is ordering normal products AND a gift cert, we want only the normal shipping methods shown

For us, we have the following shipping setup:

- Weight Table Based Shipping for all domestic and international orders
                            - Minimum or Subtotal Shipping by World Zone is used to create our free shipping methods (we only use this for promos)

When someone checks out they typically see a shipping dropdown like this:

- Domestic Standard - $3.50
                            - Domestic Priority - $5.00
                            - Domestic Express - $10.00

----------------------------

Here is what I did:

- Created a Digital Delivery method under Minimum or Subtotal Shipping

I tried all the Exclude by suggestions here and nothing is working. I also tried the method that @candle-licious used with the price group. That worked....but because it replaces each shipping method, it ended up showing the Digital Delivery 4 times in a drop down.

The only thing I THINK I have working is a method shown in this thread by Miva employee Eric Foresman:
                            http://extranet.miva.com/forums/show...andling-Charge

He said:

Does the Gift Certificate product have a 0lbs weight? If it does I think you would be better off using the weight restrictions to set up the behavior that you want. At the moment you have it setup so that if the Gift Certificate product is in the basket the ONLY allowed shipping method for the whole order is the Digital download.

What I think you want is “If the Gift Certificate product is the only item in the basket, show only the Digital download method”. Now if you have a Gift Certificate product in the basket and other items you would want it to ignore the Gift Certificate product and show the shipping items for the rest of the order correct?

To get there you would want to use the Restrict to Total Weight option in the shipping method rules, the handling charge settings has a similar option “When Shipping Weight of Order Within Range”. By setting the max weight of the shipping method to 0.01lbs and the min weight of the handling charge to 0.01lbs you should get the results you are looking for.

Let me know if that works for you
                            So I tried this and I think it's working. I'm just trying to confirm if others are using this as well.

Basically what I need to do is make sure the gift cert product is 0.00 weight. All other products in the store have an actual weight. Then in the Digital Delivery method under rules, change it so it is restricted by total weight: 0.00 - 0.01

Then to get it so the other methods don't show up if a gift cert is the only thing ordered, I have to change all the other methods to restrict by weight: 0.01 - 0.00

I have to test some more but this seems to be the only way to get it to work. Any other method where I use excludes always results in a shipping error.

EDIT: After some testing I'm finding out that I can't create the free digital method using the Minimum or Subtotal because it conflicts with the zones IF we are offering free shipping. I'm guessing maybe in v9 there is a better way to do free shipping to world zones....but I don't have time to figure that out now. So all I did was add the Flat Rate module and create the digital delivery method there. Seems to be working.

-Kevin
                            Last edited by lancermedia; 11-04-15, 07:42 AM.
                            Web Design and Development, Internet Marketing
                            Lancer Media, Inc.

Comment

What you have setup is correct.

It is worth noting that in 9.0005 there is a new setting for shipping methods where you can have it excluded by all products by default. This allows you to go into just your digital products and allow it so it only allow that method for those products.
                              Brennan Heyde
                              VP Product
                              Miva, Inc.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X