Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Category / Product Groups

Hi.

Just did the Miva 9 Upgrade and it looks pretty good! The site definitely loads faster. Of course it looks different which has people asking me how to do a few things based on their previous workflow so I thought I'd ask if there is a way to handle this that I haven't found yet, or perhaps it can be a future feature (if it makes sense).

For those who were use to drilling down through the Category Tree in the admin, a way to group and expand/collapse by a particular column i.e. 'group by category_code' would make drilling down these long lists of items easier (unless there is something there I am missing). Alternately I had used PhosphorMedia "Go to Page" for Pages in the old admin. Perhaps someone would create a paid addon that would reflect the category tree if anyone else is missing that functionality.

If that is too complicated then I wondered if there was some value in Miva, associated with the category/subcat structure, that could be exposed to sort by. Remember I'm a non-programmer so this may sound totally quacky and confusing but I know the old category tree 'knew how' to nest so I was thinking that if there was some sort of index it used like

My Cat 1 (index 100)
    --Sub Cat 1-1 (index 101)

My Cat 2 (index 200)
    --Sub Cat 2-1 (index 201)

and it sorted based on those index values, and those values/relationships still exist in Miva 9, then just adding that index value to the Column list in admin they could at least sort on that to basically see the tree they were use to.

100 My Cat 1
    101 Sub Cat 1-1
    200 My Cat 2
    201 Sub Cat 2-2

Of course there might be a way to do this already and I just haven't found it yet - in which case someone else must have posted this dumb question using my account.
    Last edited by habreu; 01-28-15, 03:53 PM.

Re: Category / Product Groups

Originally posted by habreu View Post
    Hi.

Just did the Miva 9 Upgrade and it looks pretty good! The site definitely loads faster. Of course it looks different which has people asking me how to do a few things based on their previous workflow so I thought I'd ask if there is a way to handle this that I haven't found yet, or perhaps it can be a future feature (if it makes sense).

For those who were use to drilling down through the Category Tree in the admin, a way to group and expand/collapse by a particular column i.e. 'group by category_code' would make drilling down these long lists of items easier (unless there is something there I am missing). Alternately I had used PhosphorMedia "Go to Page" for Pages in the old admin. Perhaps someone would create a paid addon that would reflect the category tree if anyone else is missing that functionality.

If that is too complicated then I wondered if there was some value in Miva, associated with the category/subcat structure, that could be exposed to sort by. Remember I'm a non-programmer so this may sound totally quacky and confusing but I know the old category tree 'knew how' to nest so I was thinking that if there was some sort of index it used like

My Cat 1 (index 100)
    --Sub Cat 1-1 (index 101)

My Cat 2 (index 200)
    --Sub Cat 2-1 (index 201)

and it sorted based on those index values, and those values/relationships still exist in Miva 9, then just adding that index value to the Column list in admin they could at least sort on that to basically see the tree they were use to.

100 My Cat 1
    101 Sub Cat 1-1
    200 My Cat 2
    201 Sub Cat 2-2

Of course there might be a way to do this already and I just haven't found it yet - in which case someone else must have posted this dumb question using my account.
    I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'm understanding your question/wished-for-feature correctly... Are you wanting something similar to the old "Click the plus button next to a category in the left navigation to see the category's children" functionality? If so, that was added in the... 9.1 update I believe. Click on the Menu, click the little arrow next to the "Catalog" entry and you'll see a fly-out menu. Your root level categories should be displayed there. You can then click the little arrow next to each category to see a fly-out of the category's children, and the children's children, etc. etc.

If you would just like to group by the parent categories, you can click the farthest right button (three vertical columns in the icon like so "|||") when on the Catalog > Categories screen and show the "Parent Category" column. You can then either click on the column header for "Parent Category" and it will sort by that column. Alternatively, you can click the button just to the left of the column button (down arrow next to rows symbolizing the sorting of records) and choose what column you'd like to sort by. This will just sort the display, not change display order.

If either of those answered your question, you should really change your password so that people stop posting in your name ;) If not, feel free to PM me or post in here to clarify.
    Ryan Guisewite
    Lead UI Developer / Miva, Inc.
    www.miva.com

Comment

Re: Category / Product Groups

Originally posted by rguisewite View Post
      I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'm understanding your question/wished-for-feature correctly...

If either of those answered your question, you should really change your password so that people stop posting in your name ;) If not, feel free to PM me or post in here to clarify.
      Eureka! That will solve the need. And since you understood my question, I am happy to accept responsibility for my rambling and semi coherent post. :)

Comment

Working...
      X