Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics being passed uppercase page names since upgrade

Hi,
    I recently upgraded to Miva9, and so far it's working as expected. Today, however, I checked in on our Google Analytics and was surprised to find that since the upgrade Google is getting passed all of our page names in all caps. Google see this as an entirely different page, causing our reports to show that traffic has stopped entirely on pagename.html and started up on PAGENAME.html. Is there any way to fix this? Our Google tracking code was implemented by Kemper Strategic back in 2010/11, but they've seem to have gone out of business.

So my question is two-fold:
    1: How can I fix my tracking code to go back to lowercase pagenames,
    and
    2: Do I even want to bother with fixing it if there is an integrated GA module (which I've heard about but can't find in the admin) that I may want to switch to? What are the pros and cons?

Any help that you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Re: Google Analytics being passed uppercase page names since upgrade

My guess is that your Google Analytics tracking code is being passed the value contained in g.Screen. We released a security fix in MM9 that forces the contents of g.Screen to uppercase. You can access the case-sensitive page code by using l.settings:page:code.

Example:
    Code:
    &mvt:page:code;
    Regards,
    Preston Brynie
    Software Developer
    Miva Merchant
    http://www.mivamerchant.com/

Comment

Google tracking code was implemented by Kemper Strategic back in 2010/11, but they've seem to have gone out of business.
      Hey Nathan,

We're still around, just under a different name after a merger some time back :)

Miva's new stock Google Analytics features are in a state of flux and not always a good fit out of the box. We offer a Google Analytics integration service where we look at the specific setup of the store and implement the necessary tracking code changes based on those needs. If you're interested, or find yourself still having issues, please feel free to reach out to us.
      Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 02-11-15, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input Preston, that makes sense. Is there a security issue I would face if I were to change it back to lowercase? If it's not a big deal security wise, how exactly would I go about changing it back? I can't find &mvt:page:code; anywhere in the source, but it's pulling a bunch of data from g.screen. How do I influence the case of these variables?

Dan,
        I'm glad to see you guys are still around. Care to weigh in on this issue? I can't be the only person experiencing

Thanks guys,
        Nathan

Comment

The security issue was about page template conditionals so this should be fine. I think you've got it backwards, if you want to send a lowercase value page code you would use l.settings:page:code. So you would want to locate and replace instances of g.Screen in your GA code.

Replace...

g.Screen

...with...

l.settings:page:code

...or...

&mvt:global:Screen;

...with...

&mvt:page:code;
          Preston Brynie
          Software Developer
          Miva Merchant
          http://www.mivamerchant.com/