Php?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Php?

Merchant 9 has been growing on me... once I got over the initial adjustment and learning curve..
    Until tonight.. when I tried to edit some of the CSS and found this:

Code:
    <link href="../css/css.php" rel="stylesheet" />
    Just my 2 cents - I think its a disservice to the power of Miva Script to use a PHP file to pull in the CSS.

I don't know yet if this is limited to the "Ready Theme" or not - but when I realized it was there, I cringed.

I make a point of coding in Miva Script unless there is no other option - but now Miva Corp also does it just for css?

Its a shame - if I need php to do something, then why use Miva Script?

Yup - sadness is settling in... I am hoping someone can shed light on this.
    Perhaps once again I am missing something?
    William Gilligan - Orange Marmalade, Inc.
    www.OrangeMarmaladeinc.com

Re: Php?

That's something in Ready Themes that's going to be swapped out now that we have the new 5.22 Engine. It was a stop gap until then.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
      That's something in Ready Themes that's going to be swapped out now that we have the new 5.22 Engine. It was a stop gap until then.
      SWEET!
      Happy again!
      William Gilligan - Orange Marmalade, Inc.
      www.OrangeMarmaladeinc.com

Comment

I've asked Brennan to chime in on the details of why we did what we did.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

BTW: I think I mentioned this to Brennan, but would be great is this integrated into the CSS Listing in Merchant, so third party modules could load separate style sheets without worrying about the additional time to load page.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

I can give some background on the PHP. We currently use it in two places:

1. Contact Form Processor
            2. CSS Optimizations

With the form processor it allowed us to build in a working contact form where it will email the store owner.

The CSS.php file is used to optimized the css files. Both Optics and Suivant have 14 stylesheets each pertaining to different parts of the site: base.css, buttons.css, colors.css, fonts.css, etc

If we simply include each one, that means 14 separate server requests just to load the stylesheet. If we combine them all into one, the file becomes very large and hard to maintain. So the php reads in each file, concatenates them into a single file then compresses it to remove white space to output the smallest possible file.

This is an area that could use some built in tools right into Miva, and they are on our list to tackle. This would allow Miva to do all the optimizations for us and allow 3rd party devs to tie their stylesheets into it.

Both of these PHP files should be replaced with Miva Template pages on the next update.
            Brennan Heyde
            VP Product
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
              Both of these PHP files should be replaced with Miva Template pages on the next update.
              Sweetness!
              Gordon Currie

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

When will the next update be?

Also, is there any way to edit the individual css files?

Comment

The next update to the readythemes will be around the conference (End of this month)

All the css files are editable. They are all conctained in the /css/ folder on the server.
                  Brennan Heyde
                  VP Product
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

Yea, now the problem will be finding the 'styles' :)...however, we are looking to add a "search" function to our Edit This module to help with this. (It would search through all the current style sheets loaded into Edit This.
                    Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                    X