All items found in search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All items found in search results

I am being asked to only show ALL results found on the search results template page without filtering. I've not had this request before and seems counter intuitive to me. One main idea of the search being to reduce the list of items available with the criteria. (duh!) But, I don't know the best practice with the reasons. Could there be an SEO reason? I know they have been working with an SEO consultant. I've been trying to research this but have not found any results on the google machine. Some of the more popular articles I've found mention nothing about showing all results in the criteria given. Instead, the emphasis was to try to find techniques to the most accurate results which will by design be limited.

My advise will be to set the default to ALL but keep the filtering options so a customer could at least list by pricing etc. Any other ideas about any of this?

Thanks,

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Re: All items found in search results

Originally posted by ids View Post
    I am being asked to only show ALL results found on the search results template page without filtering. I've not had this request before and seems counter intuitive to me. One main idea of the search being to reduce the list of items available with the criteria. (duh!) But, I don't know the best practice with the reasons. Could there be an SEO reason? I know they have been working with an SEO consultant. I've been trying to research this but have not found any results on the google machine. Some of the more popular articles I've found mention nothing about showing all results in the criteria given. Instead, the emphasis was to try to find techniques to the most accurate results which will by design be limited.

My advise will be to set the default to ALL but keep the filtering options so a customer could at least list by pricing etc. Any other ideas about any of this?

Thanks,

Scott
    I'm with you advice on this one because I can't imagine this being a great idea so at least your method would be easy to reverse.
    Mark Hood
    Vermont Gear

Comment

Thanks Mark. This is the plan -- to keep the filters while changing the default to All.

Turns out this client gets response from their customers, "I went to this category and you only have 10 product options." When in reality the category has 100 and unknown are the controls for pagination and filtering. Confusing still to some generations from what I am surmising.

Scott
      Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
      Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
      MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
      Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
      My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

<soapbox>
        I believe the segment of the population who can not navigate web sites is actually GROWING, because more and more sites are being designed to appeal to genxers and millennials...the baby boomers, who may have just finally gotten on board with understanding the web are back at square one. (They don't make the UI connections between Mobil navigation and the web...and heck, they can still hardly send a text message to their kids.) So, I suspect we'll see more of these issues has everyone gets on the latest round of "cool" designs...
        </soapbox>
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
        X