Miva Merchant 9 Admin Optimization Requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miva Merchant 9 Admin Optimization Requests

As our inventory has grown over the years, we have needed to add more and more categories in order to allow our customers to drill down through hundreds of products. Some categories now go four levels deep with 100 sub categories between levels. Many of our categories have some type of data or script in the footer that is specific to a particular group of categories/sub-categories. This data may consist of a table, javascript, and/or toolkit code. Because of code contained in the footer, you cannot export and edit the category footers. (excel will not open file)

When we edit a group of sub-categories, we use to just click through the category list and open each sub-category in order. (using shift click to open in new window) We would paste the new code and save. Less than a second to get to the next category and the color change of the link (visited link) would show us visually which had been edited.

With the new admin interface, there is no way to track which have been updated so we need a pen and paper to write each one down. Then, we need to go back to the beginning and click through three to four levels to get to the next category. While the inline editing is a great new feature, it does not work for headers and footers because the field is too small.

What would help would be some type of advanced search in the category section of the catalog that would allow you to search on the parent category field and isolate just the categories belonging to a specific parent AND a way to open/edit each category without having to go back to the beginning AND keep track of which have been edited. (history function might work if the sub-categories could be isolated)
    Jim Sisk
    Uncommon Treasures

Comment

It seems that the desire to make the new admin function on an iPhone was one of the driving factors when developing it. (excess padding, icons on buttons instead of text, ect.) What I don't understand is why. Are there developers and web owners that build and maintain their sites on their phones and tablets?
      Jim Sisk
      Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Search function in catalog does not support multiple words unless the words are consecutive. For instance, if you are looking for all red shirts, a search for red shirt in the catalog will not find Red striped shirt or Red Polo Shirt or Red and Blue Shirt. It will only bring up "Red Shirt" or "Red Shirt with Green Stripes".

Tried both regular and advanced search. The search works if you use the global search at top, but not when you are in the catalog. This makes restocking inventory very labor intensive when you need to figure out which red shirt needs to be restocked.
        Jim Sisk
        Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Import/Export Bookmarks.

I've been using Bookmarks to setup Step One, Two, Three links to areas they need to access for a specific task. Its FRIGGIN AWESOME (for the most part). Now, they just click Do this: Step 1, Do this: Step 2, etc. Save's a bunch of time...however. Along with that, I'm also bookmarking tools they use often like Edit This!, Template GPS, Optimizer, etc. Trouble is, I have to login as THEM, and manually go through this process. Not sure if many others would use this, but it would be great to be able to Export than Import bookmark (and user preference) settings. This would also be great if you had to change user names or bring on a new admin worker.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

It seems that the desire to make the new admin function on an iPhone was one of the driving factors when developing it. (excess padding, icons on buttons instead of text, ect.) What I don't understand is why. Are there developers and web owners that build and maintain their sites on their phones and tablets?
            This is not a true statement. Making it "Touch" friendly was a goal, and we tested on tablets, but not really on phones much.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
              Import/Export Bookmarks.

I've been using Bookmarks to setup Step One, Two, Three links to areas they need to access for a specific task. Its FRIGGIN AWESOME (for the most part). Now, they just click Do this: Step 1, Do this: Step 2, etc. Save's a bunch of time...however. Along with that, I'm also bookmarking tools they use often like Edit This!, Template GPS, Optimizer, etc. Trouble is, I have to login as THEM, and manually go through this process. Not sure if many others would use this, but it would be great to be able to Export than Import bookmark (and user preference) settings. This would also be great if you had to change user names or bring on a new admin worker.
              So are bookmarks specific to each user?
              Jim Sisk
              Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Originally posted by jsisk View Post
                Search function in catalog does not support multiple words unless the words are consecutive. For instance, if you are looking for all red shirts, a search for red shirt in the catalog will not find Red striped shirt or Red Polo Shirt or Red and Blue Shirt. It will only bring up "Red Shirt" or "Red Shirt with Green Stripes".

Tried both regular and advanced search. The search works if you use the global search at top, but not when you are in the catalog. This makes restocking inventory very labor intensive when you need to figure out which red shirt needs to be restocked.
                Have you tried Red%Shirt
                Mark Hood
                Vermont Gear

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hood View Post
                  Have you tried Red%Shirt
                  Not until you suggested it. Works like a champ. Thanks Mark.
                  Jim Sisk
                  Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Originally posted by jsisk View Post
                    So are bookmarks specific to each user?
                    AFAIK Yes, along with Preferences. For example, what Accordions are open or collapsed. Supposedly, we are getting the ability to also "Sort them" since I'm guessing at least 60% of Merchant Admin users NEVER use the Misc Colors or Fonts area...hopefully we can actually DELETE them (please, please, please...esp if CSSUI as I don't even think these work in CSSUI).
                    Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                    phosphormedia.com

Comment

We've found the new admin to be relatively intuitive, and as easy to navigate as the old one after only a little use. We have found a couple things that would help our process which we feel might help others as well.

In the "Add Item(s)" window during admin order entry there is a popup list of the products that match the code you are typing in, which is a great time saver. However, the Code field in this popup list is not very long, so we end up with a popup list that doesn't contain enough of the item code for us to choose the correct entry, like this:

AA-BB-100a
                      AA-BB-100...
                      AA-BB-100...
                      AA-BB-100...
                      AA-BB-100...

I'd love a way to be able to size that "Add Item(s)" window so we could see more of the product code and name during order entry (and have that window size stored for a user). We seem to have plenty of screen space to do that.

I'd also love a way to create a customer account from an existing order. We very regularly have a need for this (daily). There are a few reasons we run across this, including customers who ordered as a guest previously, and when they insist on giving product info before contact info. We end up entering their info a couple times into the admin, or doing copy paste between windows.

Finally, we'd love a way to duplicate an order. We regularly get calls saying that they want the same thing as last time. There was a mention of this feature to come in an old dream feature post, but I wasn't able to find that in the new admin yet.

Thanks for the consideration!
                      Charlie Morrison
                      www.MCRmedical.com

Comment

Add "View Page" (in separate tab) to the More menu on pages.
                        Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

SMALL FONT SIZE Re: Miva Merchant 9 Admin Optimization Requests

Well said! I came to this forum to request exactly the same thing. For an administrative app interface there is WAY too much white space and the fonts are simply huge. If someone has accessibility issues with viewing the UI they are using ZOOM already or other accessibility tools - please design the list pages with smaller fonts so that reviewing, editing, scanning and adding items is a quicker process, requiring less scrolling.

As with most software upgrades, while some things are improved, usability gets put on the backburner to make things "pretty" and trendy-looking. Either changing the font size or allowing us to change it in our own admin interfaces would increase usability of these new pages ten-fold.

[QUOTE=josiahjg;428999]- smaller font size for almost everything especially the menus, for us, like others, the options we want are in the ellipses - bring them all back to the front. right now font size 16, but 10 or 11 would work for me, and less white space you could fit almost twice as many options on screen.

Comment

Buubles2015 (or Josiahjg) what size monitors are you using, at what resolution and what OS/Browser?

I can also assure you usability wasn't backburnered, it was front burnered.

However we all use similar size monitors (very big ones) and mostly use Macs. So we did bump into a bunch of things on smaller screens with XP and/or IE specifically we weren't expecting that we're working on correcting now.
                            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                            CEO
                            Miva, Inc.
                            [email protected]
                            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                              Buubles2015 (or Josiahjg) what size monitors are you using, at what resolution and what OS/Browser?
                              A few different, one 15" laptop, and a 26" monitor at high resolution (not sure exactly, but I like this small so I can fit lots on the screen) and Firefox. Having less margins and padding and smaller text, more options on screen, would be wonderful. Both in menus and in lists.

Comment

I'd like to be able to identify which page template is creating (or responsible for creating) certain images via image machine.

Here's what I mean. When viewing my images through FTP, I'm finding some image machine-generated sizes that I don't immediately recognize. I think I have a page template that has a particular image size in the settings, I just don't know which template. My gut tells me it's a superfluous size that's just taking up space on the server and not being used on the UI. But I don't know for sure. Therefore, would like to investigate it further without doing a hunt-n-peck through my page templates. I'd be thrilled if Image Management would display the page template that's responsible for the generated image. In the "pop up" when I select and image. Screen shot attached.
                                Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 11.03.42 PM.jpg

Gracias,
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X