Administrator versus Regular Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Administrator versus Regular Users

We have run into the seat license thing where two Admins try to login at the same time (from two different states) so we purchased an additional seat to we can have at least two Admins at a time.

We thought about changing a couple other users who don't need to do any creating and might only need to adjust prices or look at orders to be non Admin but when you login as a non Admin your only Quicklink options are:

Request Support
    View Store
    Logout

Is that all a non Admin user is allowed to do (and edit their own account)?

Just what are the powers of a non Admin user?

Re: Administrator versus Regular Users

It's worth noting that the term Admin is confusing here. All back end users require a seat.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

As for what they can do, you can set customize it heavily under User Groups.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
        It's worth noting that the term Admin is confusing here. All back end users require a seat.
        WOAH, what???

This is tragic, but I'm glad joseibarra brought it up because I've been meaning to ask this as well because after our v9 upgrade I had experienced being "locked out" as a non-admin which was entirely unexpected. I've read the entire huge thread about the new policy as well as every other thread and email I could find on the topic prior to our v9 upgrade and have to say I was certainly under the impression that this new policy only applied to Administrative users.

Surely (?) I am not alone in this understanding. Anyone?

The use of the term "admin" may be confusing but the only time I have seen this explicitly distinguished is in Rick's post this morning.

I think in the big thread some folks even suggested maybe we could alter our practices to login as non-admins to do certain things that don't require admin permissions and only login as admin when the need to do things like adjust order totals. This seemed like a reasonable compromise and I don't ever recall the idea being refuted by miva. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that won't even work. I can't simply mark an item out of inventory or change a price on my office PC in front while someone is processing orders on the back PC. I can't spend 5 minutes to remotely walk someone through setting up a new product. (Well, for $50/month I can.)

If I'm understanding correctly, this is terribly frustrating and very disappointing.

Comment

You are understanding this correctly.

The basic premise is incredibly simple (and i don't think broadly misunderstood).

ANYONE who SIMULTANEOUSLY accesses the Administrative interface (the back end) needs a seat.
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]

Comment

That's what you get when you call the place Merchant Admin and then call the top of the food chain user an Administrator :) Sort of like calling your product Merchant, and then calling your customers Merchants and telling them they need Merchant accounts...oh wait...nevermind.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

I have to say I'm incredibly disappointed with the definition of an admin seat as well. I'm the admin for my company, people processing orders are clerical. We pay for a half server, which I would think would allow one person to do technical work and one person to process orders. My search for a new shopping cart solution has begun today, a real pity because I've been using and promoting Miva for 12 years.

Comment

Zampino,

This was in no uncertain terms meant to be a price increase and a good rule of thumb was if you have multiple employees accessing Miva, this price increase was meant to impact you.

I do hope you take the time to read these 2 posts before you jump to any conclusions, because I assure you in the vast majority of cases the long term ROI for using Miva is going to be far greater than on other platforms (both based on features that exist today and what's coming, which is where the resources from this price increase are being applied).

http://www.miva.com/blog/your-multi-...tions-answered

http://www.miva.com/blog/multi-seat-...he-hosting-ind
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

That looks promising...

We have one person that needs to change prices/weights - and that's about it and another person that processes orders.

I created a User Group, added a user and gave them access to Categories, Products, Customers, Order Processing...

So when I am logged in as Administrator (which is always and most of the day) and that that other user logs in (say to change a price or process orders) does that count as a "seat" and will the non Admin user get the warning message?

I think so.

This may be a case of the product working as designed which is not always the same as working as desired...
                  Last edited by joseibarra; 02-20-15, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I've read both of those documents, and I'm still frustrated by the new pricing and the justifications you put forward which don't apply to us. We're not processing 10,000 orders a day, nor do we pay just $50 a month, we pay $295 a month for a half server as the most practical solution for the bandwidth we require. We are a small record store with a staff of 2 people. The idea that the person I hire to process orders should require an additional charge for a piece of software that is, essentially, about processing orders, seems outrageous to me.

I'm sure that your billing department's botching of the first charges for seats has left a very bitter taste in my mouth (you attempted to charge us $300 a month for 6 seats), and just yesterday you attempted to bill us $200 for PCI compliance in advance of the date you gave us to upgrade to Miva 9.

Those issues are resolved, but it leaves me with a feeling that you don't care about your customers, that you're careless about the way you bill us, and that you're trying to milk me for as much as you can get; your comment above "which is where the resources from this price increase are being applied" simply affirms that belief.

My day is much more difficult logging in and out of the admin so that my clerical person can process orders. Every time I log out so that my clerk can look at an order erodes my relationship with you a bit more. I strongly urge you to rethink this strategy, and also rethink the way that you deal with your customers. There is no doubt that I will find a cheaper and more reasonable solution amongst your competitors, of whom there are many.

Comment

Originally posted by joseibarra View Post
                      That looks promising...

We have one person that needs to change prices/weights - and that's about it and another person that processes orders.

I created a User Group, added a user and gave them access to Categories, Products, Customers, Order Processing...

So when I am logged in as Administrator (which is always and most of the day) and that that other user logs in (say to change a price or process orders) does that count as a "seat" and will the non Admin user get the warning message?

I think so.

This may be a case of the product working as designed which is not always the same as working as desired...
                      Yes, ANY simultaneous log in to the Merchant Admin counts as a "seat".
                      Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by zampino View Post

<snip>
                        Zampino,

Exactly what is your clerk doing to 'process' orders? We've found with a several of our clients, that a simple change in 'practices' can negate the need for a second log in. Especially for order processing. Unless you need to capture funds, or manage shipments directly from the admin, usually exporting (either by CSV for another application, including in one case, just an excel spreadsheet) or printing a "Batch Report" sufficed. And that was done by the main person who,like you, was basically logged in all day. In another case, they simply had defined login times...which actually improved overall efficiency.
                        Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

it leaves me with a feeling that you don't care about your customers, that you're careless about the way you bill us, and that you're trying to milk me for as much as you can get; your comment above "which is where the resources from this price increase are being applied" simply affirms that belief.
                          This certainly strikes me as odd. Not the frustration with billing processes, I get that part, but we're effectively reinvesting 100% of what comes from this price increase back into the business. In the form primarily of new features.

How is that not caring about our customers?

Our competitors (as I've said in all of these various postings) have annual churn rates of near 50%, so their model is exactly what you're fearing from us. Fleece as much as you can and get it over the two year window before the "wantreprenuer" shuts off the account.

We're the exact opposite, we focus almost exclusively on retention and making sure our product grows with our customers, therefore we weren't in a position to only raise prices on new customers as it would've taken too long to ever have any impact on our business.
                          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                          CEO
                          Miva, Inc.
                          [email protected]

Comment

I hate to be blunt because I certainly don't agree with everything Miva does nor like at all to part with more money as a general rule. However, the price went up folks. It's still a pretty good deal in the whole scheme of things. IMHO if you need multiple logins because your operation is robust, you can probably afford the seat license. If you're doing $300k+ in sales a year, you're seriously going to say you can only pay $600/year for your web store and the order processing tools the software offers? It certainly isn't as cheap as it was but how many times is this conversation going to come up?
                            Jason Fancett
                            America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
                            Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
                            Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

Under Domain Settings, I "turned down" the Administrator Session Timeout to 30 minutes (don't know what the default is) and the may have helped us avoid some administrator login "collisions" but we still ending up purchasing a seconds seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X